Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 09:00   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Cameron on state multiculturalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
A Labour politician did speak about what Cameron said..

"Sadiq Khan, a prominent Muslim Labour MP, accused the PM of “writing propaganda for the EDL”."

David Cameron accused of far-right propaganda by saying UK too tolerant of extreme Muslim beliefs - mirror.co.uk
Pity you didn't give your viewpoint,but hardly surprising.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Pity you didn't give your viewpoint,but hardly surprising.
Is it not taken as given from the quote I just posted?

I agree with what Cameron said and it's pathetic that these issues can't be raised without someone jumping up and denouncing him as a far-right extremist.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21   #63
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Is it not taken as given from the quote I just posted?

I agree with what Cameron said and it's pathetic that these issues can't be raised without someone jumping up and denouncing him as a far-right extremist.
'Insiders say Cameron, along with education secretary, Michael Gove, the home secretary, Theresa May, and the security minister, Dame Pauline Neville-Jones, accept there has been too much of what the prime minister calls "passive tolerance" of extremist groups in recent years, while Nick Clegg and Baroness Warsi, the Tory party chairwoman, prefer a more multicultural approach.'
David Cameron's attack on multiculturalism divides coalition | Politics | The Observer

Has the Conservative party chairperson, Baroness Warsi, commented yet...publicly?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Jonh...think you mean Inayat Banglawalla.....he is something to do with the Muslim Council for Britain....he has been on the BBC speaking on a variety of issues concerning muslims.
Well thats what I said Margaret init
Old 06-02-2011, 09:26   #65
Give, give, give member

'David Cameron’s speech today at the Munich Security Conference came as a breath of fresh air after the debacle of Baroness Warsi’s controversial address at Leicester University, which did not carry the endorsement of Downing Street. In contrast to the Conservative Party chairman, Cameron addressed the issue of Islamist terrorism and extremism head on, and delivered a speech that was far more in tune with the views of the British public. Warsi’s crude and condescending depiction of Britain as increasingly a nation of bigots in the grip of “Islamophobia” was hugely out of touch with Middle England and most of her own party.'

David Cameron versus the Islamists: the Prime Minister throws down the gauntlet to a deadly enemy – Telegraph Blogs

Can't find any of her comments myself, so far, but look forward to reading them when she does.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:28   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I agree, like the Ł1,850,000,000 the lottery has wasted on the 2012 Olympics.

I have recently received to letters from a lottery funding basicly saying thank you for your funding bid but we dont have enough money in the pot so you cant have any.

These were for less than Ł100,000 combined (can't remember the exact figures without looking) so 2 parks in Hyndburn, Rhyddings Park and Peel Park will be missing out. Its ok though, you can watch the Olympics on TV for a couple of weeks instead, well worth it
Ya but just think the benefit you've gain Neil, being able to attend the Royal Ballet and the National Opera House every month, you can't have it both ways mate
Old 06-02-2011, 09:29   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Insiders say Cameron, along with education secretary, Michael Gove, the home secretary, Theresa May, and the security minister, Dame Pauline Neville-Jones, accept there has been too much of what the prime minister calls "passive tolerance" of extremist groups in recent years, while Nick Clegg and Baroness Warsi, the Tory party chairwoman, prefer a more multicultural approach.'
David Cameron's attack on multiculturalism divides coalition | Politics | The Observer

Has the Conservative party chairperson, Baroness Warsi, commented yet...publicly?
This is what she's said according to Fury as Labour 'smears' David Cameron after he attacks multiculturalism | Mail Online

Labour MPs then weighed in by accusing Mr Cameron of inflammatory timing for making his speech on the day when the EDL was marching in Luton.

But Tory Chairman Baroness Warsi described Mr Khan’s remarks as an attempt to ‘smear’ the Prime Minister as a Right-wing extremist.
‘This is outrageous and irresponsible,’ she said.

Condemnation: Baroness Warsi described Mr Khan's comments as outrageous and irresponsible

‘David Cameron has made it clear he wants to unite Britain around our common values, and he has done so in measured language.

'It is right that we make it clear: extremism and Islam are not the same thing. Mr Khan ran Ed Miliband’s leadership campaign. He must apologise and Mr Miliband needs to disown his colleague’s baseless accusation.’
Old 06-02-2011, 09:34   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Problem for 'em is, they're caught between a rock and a hard place. They can say what they really think...that Cameron's views are Islamophobic and divisive etc etc, and all the other stuff that you'll see in the leftwing press over the next few days, or they can do what they usually do...studiously avoid these threads and hope it all goes away.
Its not actually that they have not been on AccyWeb as they have been very quick to comment on "local issues" yet something which gets the attention of virtually every person in this country either local or national, the silence is golden
Old 06-02-2011, 09:34   #69
Give, give, give member

Oh right, she's toeing the party line, to give the illusion of unity.

Judging from her past statements, it would be interesting to know the Baroness's thoughts...off the record.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:36   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its not actually that they have not been on AccyWeb as they have been very quick to comment on "local issues" yet something which gets the attention of virtually every person in this country either local or national, the silence is golden

...and the Tory councillors we have as members on here, now quite numberable, have been different how?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:39   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Oh right, she's toeing the party line, to give the illusion of unity.

Judging from her past statements, it would be interesting to know the Baroness's thoughts...off the record.
Off the record G is there such a thing these days
Old 06-02-2011, 09:41   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
...and the Tory councillors we have as members on here, now quite numberable, have been different how?

You could find that come May some rolls might be reversed
Old 06-02-2011, 09:41   #73
Give, give, give member

As stated earlier, I'm genuinely suprised, and happy, that Cameron said what he did. Being the first high profile politican to do so.

I hope he continues to suprise me, by turning words into action.

Having now opened the can of worms, I am quite hopeful.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:42   #74
Give, give, give member

Quote:
come May some rolls might be reversed
You mean some eggy cress eaters will be having tuna butties, and visa versa?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:44   #75
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
You could find that come May some rolls might be reversed
Ooooh! cross dressing comes to accyweb.

May as well move this thread straight to the 18's section.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..