Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 08:35   #121
Resting in Peace

Re: Cameron on state multiculturalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is very gratifying to know that Less. Heartwarming even.
Less and Heartwarming in the same sentence Margaret, now that is bloody frightening
Old 07-02-2011, 08:39   #122
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
He could make a start by ordering Government departments to keep all documents and forms in English only, thus cutting the costs of translating into Urdu, Gudjurati, Polish and myriad different languages and directing local councils to do the same.
Totally agree Wyn, if you or me went to live in Spain, Italy or any other country, we would have to pay for a translator to help sort our problems out, ask cashy about that one
Old 07-02-2011, 08:43   #123
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
not breaking a habit of a life time the tories doing the opposite of what they are saying BBC News - Free schools 'divisive' says Manchester anti-extremism tsar plus this encourages apartheid schooling ..
Again your talking total B.......
Old 07-02-2011, 10:03   #124
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Less and Heartwarming in the same sentence Margaret, now that is bloody frightening
It was a 'tongue in cheek' comment John, so don't worry.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:14   #125
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Totally agree Wyn, if you or me went to live in Spain, Italy or any other country, we would have to pay for a translator to help sort our problems out, ask cashy about that one
It is certainly the case in France, although some towns/cities employ English workers in the Mairie (sort of a Town Hall).
Old 07-02-2011, 10:21   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It was a 'tongue in cheek' comment John, so don't worry.
The worrying thing is waiting for Less to reply Margaret
Old 07-02-2011, 10:22   #127
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
It is certainly the case in France, although some towns/cities employ English workers in the Mairie (sort of a Town Hall).
Ya Barrie but that will be to teach the French English
Old 07-02-2011, 12:13   #128
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

As I've said before, the language issue is the main focus. All persons whoever or from wherever who decide to settle in another Country should learn that Countries Language (at their own cost) to a reasonable enough level so as to be able to understand & communicate with the relevant agencies.

The constant pandering by interfering individuals has led the UK into the morass it now finds itself in ! I don't know of any other European Country that goes to the extreme levels of compliance to foreigners wishes as the UK. They chose to come to UK so have an obligation to assimilate & not the other way round. This stance is neither racist/phobic or unrealistic to my view & is the least of courtesies a non National can show in deference to a host Country.

I decided to live in Germany & was then expected to adopt & speak their language (for everyday use) as all paperwork is in German that is part of my obligation due to being a guest in their Country. I spend time in Holland & as such any official paperwork I am required to fill out is in Dutch, I don't make an issue about it I get on with & accept it ! Should I have difficulty I ask Dutch Friends for assistance & I certainly don't demand or expect an interpreter or for the paperwork to be in English, I have to adapt & have no problem doing so as it's a simple expedient that assists with my contribution to the society in which I presently reside.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 07-02-2011 at 12:20.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 17:53   #129
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
As I've said before, the language issue is the main focus. All persons whoever or from wherever who decide to settle in another Country should learn that Countries Language (at their own cost) to a reasonable enough level so as to be able to understand & communicate with the relevant agencies.

The constant pandering by interfering individuals has led the UK into the morass it now finds itself in ! I don't know of any other European Country that goes to the extreme levels of compliance to foreigners wishes as the UK. They chose to come to UK so have an obligation to assimilate & not the other way round. This stance is neither racist/phobic or unrealistic to my view & is the least of courtesies a non National can show in deference to a host Country.

I decided to live in Germany & was then expected to adopt & speak their language (for everyday use) as all paperwork is in German that is part of my obligation due to being a guest in their Country. I spend time in Holland & as such any official paperwork I am required to fill out is in Dutch, I don't make an issue about it I get on with & accept it ! Should I have difficulty I ask Dutch Friends for assistance & I certainly don't demand or expect an interpreter or for the paperwork to be in English, I have to adapt & have no problem doing so as it's a simple expedient that assists with my contribution to the society in which I presently reside.
Ya but this never seems to apply in good old blighty Dave, mind you we are the dogooding capital of the world

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..