Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2007, 20:54   #46
Beacon of light

Re: Councillor Kazi Siddique - fir for public office

And to be honest Graham, I think the public would rather have a political squabble than a totally unsuitable Mayor. I mean, how does it make us look if we have a mayor like this?

Maybe it is PB who doesn't want a political squabble.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2007, 20:59   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I find it incredible that there are a range of people in this man's council ward that he CANNOT represent because he (I am told) has little grasp of the English language....and even more incredible that there are people who live in his ward and he WILL not represent them(even though he CAN speak their language).

It seems ludicrous that a man is going to be put into the role of Mayor when he can not promote our town. What on earth are we thinking of????????
I should add for clarity, Councillor Mr Siddique can speak what would be decribed as 'pigeon english' or 'broken english'. Spinners complaint is one that gets aired often and for some reason they all go and contact Clr Jean Battle. I think it is because of the Neighbourhood Management Board in the area and her excellent work with asian woman.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 21:04   #48
Beacon of light

Broken English/Pigeon English - it is what I call little grasp of english.
If the people of his own ethnicity are unhappy with his work surely that says something....and shouldn't that be taken on board? It would be a travesty to appoint him as Mayor.......and as far as the political situation you have outlined in a previous post, regarding the ALLOWING of a labour Mayor on alternate years....that is farcical. (I hope I have understood correctly).
Old 17-04-2007, 21:05   #49

no grahem i was directed by the council switchboard
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 21:09   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
And to be honest Graham, I think the public would rather have a political squabble than a totally unsuitable Mayor. I mean, how does it make us look if we have a mayor like this?

Maybe it is PB who doesn't want a political squabble.
Well you know the landscape Margaret. If we pointed out everything PB says we are only out to hear our own voices and score political points and the letters page gets letters saying 'why can't counillors work together'. It's a fine line.

To make progress you have to accept majority rule. Independents are a recipe for chaos. In fact the two Independents are now helping each other (the beginnings of a non independent alliance!).

As a Labour Councillor we all express views, there is a debate, a consensus is reached with a vote, and then we all abide by the collective decision. It is not a 'sheep vote' but a democratic decision. Their can be no other way of working together and making progress.

The collective decision may well be to back Kazi because the consequences of not doing will be far more damaging in retribution from the Conservatives - and I don't just mean the mayorality. The Conservatives make all decisions as they have the majority of Councillors. That's life!

My personal view is as expressed above and I will say so, but I will support the majority view whatever that is.
Old 17-04-2007, 21:11   #51

[quote=Margaret Pilkington;412119]Broken English/Pigeon English - it is what I call little grasp of english.
be a travesty to appoint him as Mayor.......

well hes already showing off about it and is trying to get people to vot for him as this will mean he will become mayour. he is a portfolio holder for community relations itsays on the council website. how did he manage to get such a fancy sounding job ? Britters?
Old 17-04-2007, 21:20   #52
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=spinner;412123]
Quote:
Broken English/Pigeon English - it is what I call little grasp of english.
be a travesty to appoint him as Mayor.......

well hes already showing off about it and is trying to get people to vot for him as this will mean he will become mayour. he is a portfolio holder for community relations itsays on the council website. how did he manage to get such a fancy sounding job ? Britters?
Well if you are suggesting the Mayorality is for sale (for votes), I would have to agree. Central is crucial to either a Labour or Tory Council, unless the anti-government brigade switch off for a day (May the 3rd would be an ideal day) and deal with local issues in other seats.
Old 17-04-2007, 21:26   #53
Beacon of light

Well, lets hope that some of the voters wake up and kick some butt before it is too late. I can understand why there are some people who are very disillusioned with politics...local AND national.
Old 17-04-2007, 21:33   #54
Senior Member+

Just an update. The Council agenda has arrived for next Tuesday's Full Council Meeting. The Mayorality has been omitted again so no official decision until after the election. The voters of Central Ward are apparently being told by word of mouth from Kazi and associates, but all the remaining Councillors are obvioulsy not being told.

Also the £600,000 Hyndburn Portal enquiry report due by the end of February has been shelved now until after the election.

Isn't Hyndburn wonderful!
Old 17-04-2007, 22:10   #55
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
the election leaflets are preparedby someone who works for him. that is why i initially spoke to him in english as i had expected it to be the same man who had wrote the leaflets. i was shocked , my concerns were eventually represented by jean battle who told me that many people ended up doing so because of siddiqs inabilty and unwillingness in some cases. thats what maddend me enough to contact Britters who said it was my opinion. isnt it a fact rather than an opinion peter?
Having read leaflets written in English I tended to arrive at the same conclusion Spinner. Yes it is a fact rather than an opinion and I think PB should have the decency to acknowledge that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Spinners complaint is one that gets aired often and for some reason they all go and contact Clr Jean Battle. I think it is because of the Neighbourhood Management Board in the area and her excellent work with asian woman.

No, it's because the man they should contact and do contact will not do a blessed thing! What exactly is he on the council FOR?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 22:21   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Having read leaflets written in English I tended to arrive at the same conclusion Spinner. Yes it is a fact rather than an opinion and I think PB should have the decency to acknowledge that.

No, it's because the man they should contact and do contact will not do a blessed thing! What exactly is he on the council FOR?

i think we should all write to peter britcliff to express our disgust at his appointment of siddiq . he needs to be brought to account. does anybody hav any other suitable ideas
Old 17-04-2007, 22:23   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
does anybody hav any other suitable ideas
Yes ... a mayor elected by the people not one chosen by political claptrap.
Old 17-04-2007, 22:45   #58
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I can appreciate that it is beneficial for a Councillor to be able to speak the language of the majority of the voters in his ward but I can't quite see how he could get selected in the first place by the party to represent them if he could not speak English - how did the Conservative selection committee put him forward?

As for Dr Rahman, I've said it before but he has been an absolute credit to the Borough. He's been an excellent Mayor (and he speaks excellent English).
Tarzans second mate Cheeta, has just had it's birthday, I think it was 70odd years old. PB would have put that chimp up in Kazi's ward if he thought it mighn't have won the tories the seat! Fear not the truth will out.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 22:54   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Tarzans second mate Cheeta, has just had it's birthday, I think it was 70odd years old. PB would have put that chimp up in Kazi's ward if he thought it mighn't have won the tories the seat! Fear not the truth will out.

oh my god it couldnt hav been put better. re the truth theres so much about kazi i fear that a can of worms will explode
Old 17-04-2007, 23:02   #60
God Member

Nowt to do with me .. but I really find it hard to understand why you lot (Accrington) vote Tory.. you desrves all you get!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..