Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2007, 07:27   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Councillor Kazi Siddique - fir for public office

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
oh i could tell you a few things !!! im sure graham knows a few more
Every individual in this country has the right to protected against malicious and false accusations. When so many rumours exist without that last bit of firm evidence, then I think it incumbant on that individual to come out themselves and 'clear the air'.

Rumours at work or down the pub are fine because that is private chat, public messageboards however are not. That is why it was removed because in Britain, it would not only be Gondola, but Roy who would be libeled. And if I wrote anything, Roy would be libeled again if sumonsed, as it is against the law to publish a known untruth should there be a complaint.

Why not Kazi? I think Kazi's contribution to Hyndburn has been zero and he was only elevated to cabinet by PB for political purposes. He claims £11,000 per year but has little cabinet reponsibility and has had no input at all. The streets of Central Ward are filthy and he is not interested. In 7 years he has not lifted a finger. There are a lot community minded people in Central and they are unhappy about his role.

I am not happy that someone who cannot speak English properly can even be a Councillor. You are there for everyone and whilst 51%?? of Central is Asian, 49%?? is not. For me english is a must requirement as a Councillor even if it was 100% asian. We have a meeting on Monday night to discuss it, however the Tories have pulled the Mayor making item from Tuesday's Full Council meeting. What a surprise!!!

Ask yourselves this. In January we select May's Mayor. Why this year have the Tories not done so? We all know it's Kazi for Mayor unofficially. However I would not put it past PB to make that promise by word of mouth just 'on the streets' of Central for votes. After the elections, see if he has lost, or make any decision because the voters after May 3rd then have no choice. If this thread carries on like this I can see them switching to Dobson or Lockwood because they won't want to get found out this side of the election.

As for the sheep comment. Labour Councillors agreed to debate, work together and bide by a majority decision amongst themselves. Anything else represents chaos.

In this case we were forced by PB into accepting a Tory (of their choice) every other year and they would ALLOW us a Labour Mayor of our choice the alternate year. I have a big problem with this method because an unacceptable Mayor may be nominated by them for political purposes (like Kazi), and we are tied to the decision before the person is named. However the public don't want political squabbling, espcially over the mayorality.

If we did not accept this position, the Tories/PB threatned to put a Tory Mayor in most years (whenever they wanted because they have the majority of votes 19-16 at the moment). Typical shotgun politics by PB and Labour Councillors were forced into accepting the best of a bad job.

This Conservative Council is a morally corrupt Council. It's not even *P*olitics anymore with a cap P.

Last edited by g jones; 17-04-2007 at 07:34.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2007, 07:34   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
When so many rumours exist without that last bit of firm evidence, then I think it incumbant on that individual to come out themselves and 'clear the air'.

I presume that depends if an intepreter is available ?
Old 17-04-2007, 07:54   #33
Resident Waffler

If there is actual evidence that someone has been up to something then surely it is up to others to investigate?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 08:34   #34
God Member

If the Tories lose their seat will Siddique still be Mayor? I'm not really up on politics but the fact that he gets £11,000 for ****** all irritates me.
Old 17-04-2007, 09:54   #35

[quote=g jones;411917]Every individual in this country has the right to protected against malicious and false accusations. When so many rumours exist without that last bit of firm evidence, then I think it incumbant on that individual to come out themselves and 'clear the air'.

well to be fair gondola did indicate that he had evidence. i dont think that siddique will 'come out and clear the air , he would hav done so unless of course Britters thinks of supressing the evidence. i think the issues need to be brought out in the open everbody in the asian community is already complaining about why it hasnt
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 09:55   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
If there is actual evidence that someone has been up to something then surely it is up to others to investigate?
i agree fully
Old 17-04-2007, 10:27   #37

sorry for me going on a bit about this thread but ive just come back from pakistan and people cant believe somebody who cant speak englis can get such roles in the uk. i had the misfortune of having siddiq as my counciller and contacted him about something. i spoke to him in english initially -he couldnt understand and than i spoke to him in his own language. he told me he didnt deal with council matters and that i should contact the council personally. fustrated i had to go to jean battle who said many people had been fobbed off in this manner. angry i contacted Britters who said this was my opinion and put the phone down. tell me peter britcliff why did you put the phone down and dismissed my concerns
Old 17-04-2007, 10:39   #38
Resident Waffler

He is your councillor but said he didn't deal with council matters? Contact the council personally? Isn't that exactly what you are doing by contacting him? I'm in Central Ward and I can't speak his language so how the heck would I go on? I expect my representative on the council to actually be able to represent me. Is that too much to ask? I don't care what creed, colour or ethnic origin they are any more than I care about what brand of socks they wear. I don't give a hoot what language they speak at home but here in England on an English council in an English town I would at least expect them to be able to communicate with others in English. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

If I lived in France (for example) and had a councillor who could speak English I'd be chuffed to bits, but if I then found out he couldn't speak French and didn't deal with council matters I would be highly dischuffed. It's madness. What the heck is he on the council for???

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 15:24   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm also nosey.
Me too! I can't believe we read through all that guff he wrote and never got to see what he was on about!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 15:32   #40

Thank you Willow and Spinner for giving the viewpoint of some who lives in Central Ward. I agree that a Councillor must be able to speak English, so that they can deal effectively with the problems of the people , who live in their ward.

Also any Councillor who is elected Mayor needs to be able to communicate with all the residents of Hyndburn, as well as representing the Borough in other areas of Lancashire. Our current Mayor, Dr Rahman, has been a a credit to the Borough, as its First Citizen.

Last edited by claytonender; 17-04-2007 at 15:34.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 18:36   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Thank you Willow and Spinner for giving the viewpoint of some who lives in Central Ward. I agree that a Councillor must be able to speak English, so that they can deal effectively with the problems of the people , who live in their ward
Look ! I'm a complete numpty as far as politics/council matters are concerned, but are you seriously telling me that one of our voted in councillors cannot speak the Queen's English !!! ('scuse my mirth).
Surely, this should be one of the first criteriors for anyone holding this honourable position !! Do you think 'he says' he can't speak English when it is most convenient to him ?

I don't understand why Councillors should have any political bias in any direction (sure someone is going to put me straight) .. what is the difference between a 'Labour' councillor and a 'Tory' councillor making a decision whether it be a wayward Taxi drivers or a cracked paving stone .. all an enigma to yours truly.

All councillors should be Independent in by opinion and not use any political persuasions to make decisions ... whatever that may entail.

Is it all to do with the money backing to become a councillor in the first place. Need an understanding here.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 20:16   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Thank you Willow and Spinner for giving the viewpoint of some who lives in Central Ward. I agree that a Councillor must be able to speak English, so that they can deal effectively with the problems of the people , who live in their ward.

Also any Councillor who is elected Mayor needs to be able to communicate with all the residents of Hyndburn, as well as representing the Borough in other areas of Lancashire. Our current Mayor, Dr Rahman, has been a a credit to the Borough, as its First Citizen.
I can appreciate that it is beneficial for a Councillor to be able to speak the language of the majority of the voters in his ward but I can't quite see how he could get selected in the first place by the party to represent them if he could not speak English - how did the Conservative selection committee put him forward?

As for Dr Rahman, I've said it before but he has been an absolute credit to the Borough. He's been an excellent Mayor (and he speaks excellent English).

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 20:17   #43
Beacon of light

I find it incredible that there are a range of people in this man's council ward that he CANNOT represent because he (I am told) has little grasp of the English language....and even more incredible that there are people who live in his ward and he WILL not represent them(even though he CAN speak their language).

It seems ludicrous that a man is going to be put into the role of Mayor when he can not promote our town. What on earth are we thinking of????????
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 20:22   #44
God Member

It beggars belief how PB can put him up for it knowing those facts!
Old 17-04-2007, 20:53   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I find it incredible that there are a range of people in this man's council ward that he CANNOT represent because he (I am told) has little grasp of the English language....and even more incredible that there are people who live in his ward and he WILL not represent them(even though he CAN speak their language).

It seems ludicrous that a man is going to be put into the role of Mayor when he can not promote our town. What on earth are we thinking of????????

the election leaflets are preparedby someone who works for him. that is why i initially spoke to him in english as i had expected it to be the same man who had wrote the leaflets. i was shocked , my concerns were eventually represented by jean battle who told me that many people ended up doing so because of siddiqs inabilty and unwillingness in some cases. thats what maddend me enough to contact Britters who said it was my opinion. isnt it a fact rather than an opinion peter?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..