Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 09:41   #46

Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

You all should be thankful that in this country we have such people as Jeremy Clarkson who, in the current culture of obsessive political correctness, say exactly what they think. Some might say that his comments were a little tactless. But, If you try hard enough, you can be offended by anything. People say and print offensive things all the time but we all have the choice to disregard them. It is all too easy to break out the flaming torches and to call for a witch-hunt.

We are losing basic freedoms at an astonishing rate in this country. We are even listed by Amnesty International because we do not have the right of free speech. The right to free speech should be an absolute right.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Meccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2008, 09:44   #47
God Member

I think Jeremy Clarkson is ace!!

Took what he said to be funny too

Awaits to be hung drawn an quartered

Last edited by AccyLass; 11-11-2008 at 09:52.
AccyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:37   #48
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meccy View Post
You all should be thankful that in this country we have such people as Jeremy Clarkson who, in the current culture of obsessive political correctness, say exactly what they think. Some might say that his comments were a little tactless. But, If you try hard enough, you can be offended by anything. People say and print offensive things all the time but we all have the choice to disregard them. It is all too easy to break out the flaming torches and to call for a witch-hunt.

We are losing basic freedoms at an astonishing rate in this country. We are even listed by Amnesty International because we do not have the right of free speech. The right to free speech should be an absolute right.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
All well and good, but as stated earlier Mr. Clarkson had a terrible tantrum when the Daily Mirror published a photograph of Clarkson kissing his female producer.

Piers Morgan probably saw it as a joke, though Clarkson didn't seem to get it, for some reason.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, or at least have a skin thicker than tissue paper, if they do.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
All well and good, but as stated earlier Mr. Clarkson had a terrible tantrum when the Daily Mirror published a photograph of Clarkson kissing his female producer.

Piers Morgan probably saw it as a joke, though Clarkson didn't seem to get it, for some reason.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, or at least have a skin thicker than tissue paper, if they do.
Think I must agree Rindi, people find things very funny until they are the butt of the jokes then some how it doesn't seem quite as funny, like with anything if you give it you've got to be able to take it.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:11   #50

Clarkson has a thick skin and can surely take criticism. I have read Morgan's memoires of his days at "The Mirror" and it is plain that a personal grudge against Clarkson was his reason for publishing. Surely not an honourable thing to do when in a position to influence so many.
"Remember us." As simple an order as a king can give. "Remember why we died." For he did not wish tribute, nor song, nor monuments nor poems of war and valour. His wish was simple. "Remember us," he said to me. That was his hope, should any free soul come across that place, in all the countless centuries yet to be. May all our voices whisper to you from the ageless stones, "Go tell the Spartans, passerby, that here by Spartan law, we lie."
Old 11-11-2008, 12:34   #51
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Clarkson has a thick skin and can surely take criticism. I have read Morgan's memoires of his days at "The Mirror" and it is plain that a personal grudge against Clarkson was his reason for publishing. Surely not an honourable thing to do when in a position to influence so many.
Let's hope he's never in the position of having a loved one murdered, and the resulting jokes of some wag, before the thickness of his skin his judged.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:43   #52
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

Quote:

There is a fine line between “invasion of privacy” and “freedom of speech” and Mirror crossed it.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:46   #53
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think I must agree Rindi, people find things very funny until they are the butt of the jokes then some how it doesn't seem quite as funny, like with anything if you give it you've got to be able to take it.
Yes just like all those ‘comedians’ who castigated me for not having a sense of humour when I objected to their infantile jokes about Heather Mills’ disability.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:50   #54
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Yes just like all those ‘comedians’ who castigated me for not having a sense of humour when I objected to their infantile jokes about Heather Mills’ disability.

...and yet you've made comic reference to other people's disabilities.

Old 11-11-2008, 13:47   #55
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

Quote:
...and yet you've made comic reference to other people's disabilities.
Show me where!
Old 11-11-2008, 14:19   #56
God Member

Quote:

People are confusing the right of freedom of speech with the right to be downright rude and tasteless. Freedom of speech does not give anyone the right to insult everyone and not care about it.

Freedom of speech means that you can object to a political issue without being hung up for treason it does not mean that you can say what you like about someone else! That's just common decency.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 14:20   #57
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Show me where!
'Funnily' enough I really can't be bothered searching right now.

I do remember one time MargaretR chastised you for it though, and she mentioned incontinence in her reply, if that rings any bells for you.

Old 11-11-2008, 15:35   #58
God Member

Quote:
'Funnily' enough I really can't be bothered searching right now.

I do remember one time MargaretR chastised you for it though, and she mentioned incontinence in her reply, if that rings any bells for you.
I dont remember but will look

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 15:37   #59

Gayle,

I have every sympathy for your view on decency but I would ask this question. Where do you draw the line? One mans opinion on what is decent is not necessarily another's.

Freedom of speech should be absolute. You imply that is for political issues. We now have laws in this country that restrict public comments on race and religion. In theory I can be brought before the law if I were to publish a view which, in someone's opinion contravened these laws. Even if I considered myself wholly justified in making that view. Here is the crux of the matter though. The moment we allow others to determine which opinions are legal and which are not we are a short road to tyranny.

Some might have opinions which we find abhorrent. It is the measure of us as an informed democracy how we disregard them.
"Remember us." As simple an order as a king can give. "Remember why we died." For he did not wish tribute, nor song, nor monuments nor poems of war and valour. His wish was simple. "Remember us," he said to me. That was his hope, should any free soul come across that place, in all the countless centuries yet to be. May all our voices whisper to you from the ageless stones, "Go tell the Spartans, passerby, that here by Spartan law, we lie."
Old 11-11-2008, 15:41   #60
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Gayle,

I have every sympathy for your view on decency but I would ask this question. Where do you draw the line? One mans opinion on what is decent is not necessarily another's.

Freedom of speech should be absolute. You imply that is for political issues. We now have laws in this country that restrict public comments on race and religion. In theory I can be brought before the law if I were to publish a view which, in someone's opinion contravened these laws. Even if I considered myself wholly justified in making that view. Here is the crux of the matter though. The moment we allow others to determine which opinions are legal and which are not we are a short road to tyranny.

Some might have opinions which we find abhorrent. It is the measure of us as an informed democracy how we disregard them.
Would that freedom of speech also be available to pedophiles, for example?

Stand up child molesters, 'entertaining' others of the ilk?

Happily in most decent civilisations there are limits on what can and can't be said.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..