Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 11:16   #16

Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Not watched it yet but come on, Top Gear is and has for some time been at the sharp end of humour. JC is reknown for his lack of PC. If you don't want to listen to it don't watch his show. In teh same vein that Roy Chubby Brown has his reputation that you don't go and then winge about him swearing!...
But it wasn't funny. I think that political correctness is a blight on this country, and I've no problems with jokes aimed at minorities. However, his comment didn't pass as a joke, I'm afraid. There are more people who would be offended or hurt by it than would laugh at it.

I find Top Gear very entertaining and JC's humour is usually right up my street, but this one made me cringe.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2008, 11:24   #17
God Member

And that is exactly why we all like different types of comedy. Each individual has a threshold of whats acceptable, in this case he breeched yours. however they quote 188 complaints out of how many million viewers?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:45   #18
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

I watched the show and picked up on Jeremy’s comments. I was also aware that the show was pre-recorded. Meaning that someone allowed the show to go out as it was and that is where the blame must lie.

But because I like the show I’m honest enough to admit that it didn’t ring any alarm bells with me. I saw it as no different to some of the comments that you get on “Have I Got News For You”. That is pre-recorded but it is claimed that a legal team is on hand to vet what can and cannot go out on broadcast, even the extended version.

However there is a major difference between Jeremy’s comments and Brand’s/Ross’ phone call. Clarkson’s comments were based on FACT. A lorry driver WAS CONVICTED of murdering prostitutes whilst in the course of his work. Brand’s/Ross’ phone calls were slanderous allegations without a shred of evidence, real or imagined.

It seems to me that people’s views on these issues is coloured by their liking of, or not, the presenter and show. Those who don’t like Top Gear will probably be calling for heads to roll. Those who do like Top Gear will be offering excuses.

The real villain/s of these, and other similar affairs, is the person or persons allowing the programmes to be broadcast uncensored.
Old 04-11-2008, 14:35   #19
Senior Member+

i like the show and watched it found it funny it the kind of things you expect from clarkson! we have become like americans were there is a blame there is a claim kind of thing like the russell brand story something like 1,000 complaints on the day it went out and than when the daily mail picked up on it and had it front page they had 30,000 complaints, they are all jumping on the band wagon, they had not even listenin or heard what he said and they rang up complain, pointless waste of time people! if you dont like it dont watch it, some people will find it funny others will not! i hate the people that complain have they nothing better to do in thier lifes than get all worked up and complain over something! stupid

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 15:56   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
i hate the people that complain have they nothing better to do in thier lifes than get all worked up and complain over something! stupid
Ross and Brand were at 'work' at the time of their offence. At work for a company funded by every licence payer. What they did was obscene, mean, and verging on the criminal. There is a vast difference with this latest story.

Clarkson was just tasteless. As others said that's his forte, and is the sort of thing you expect on his shows.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 16:00   #21
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
i like the show and watched it found it funny it the kind of things you expect from clarkson! we have become like americans were there is a blame there is a claim kind of thing like the russell brand story something like 1,000 complaints on the day it went out and than when the daily mail picked up on it and had it front page they had 30,000 complaints, they are all jumping on the band wagon, they had not even listenin or heard what he said and they rang up complain, pointless waste of time people! if you dont like it dont watch it, some people will find it funny others will not! i hate the people that complain have they nothing better to do in thier lifes than get all worked up and complain over something! stupid
There is only one problem with the “if you don’t like it don’t watch it”, brigade.

You don’t find out that you don’t like it until AFTER you have listened to or watched a programme. By then of course it is too late.

However there is nothing wrong in complaining about something even though we haven’t seen or heard the incident. How many people have actually seen a paedophile at work or a burglar or con man? How many people have witnessed the increase in knife crime? Yet we are all up in arms about it.

So the defence of “if you don’t like it don’t watch it” doesn’t wash.
Old 04-11-2008, 16:11   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
There is only one problem with the “if you don’t like it don’t watch it”, brigade.

You don’t find out that you don’t like it until AFTER you have listened to or watched a programme. By then of course it is too late.

However there is nothing wrong in complaining about something even though we haven’t seen or heard the incident. How many people have actually seen a paedophile at work or a burglar or con man? How many people have witnessed the increase in knife crime? Yet we are all up in arms about it.

So the defence of “if you don’t like it don’t watch it” doesn’t wash.
Your quite right JB, but the thing is with this idea if you don't like it don't watch is ideal when they're not paying for it, but the BBC belongs to us, its ours because we have to pay whether we like it or not and if you don't pay your name appears in the Observer under TV licence dodgers
Old 04-11-2008, 16:28   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Your quite right JB, but the thing is with this idea if you don't like it don't watch is ideal when they're not paying for it, but the BBC belongs to us, its ours because we have to pay whether we like it or not and if you don't pay your name appears in the Observer under TV licence dodgers
I think that MCR ADIM was referring to the programme not the TV license. And I was responding to that point.

As for the TV license – it is a legal requirement to have one to watch TV programmes from any source on any equipment in the UK.
Old 04-11-2008, 16:34   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As for the TV license – it is a legal requirement to have one to watch TV programmes from any source on any equipment in the UK.
Of course you are right, though it is only the B.B.C. who receives any funding from the licence fee. No other media company does. A monopoly, aa nationalise company, call it what you like.

If only David Cameron would decide what the Conservative's stand on the issue of the television licence was, they might be onto a vote winner.

David Cameron 'sceptical' about top-slicing BBC licence fee | Media | guardian.co.uk

Old 04-11-2008, 16:34   #25
God Member

Quote:
I think that MCR ADIM was referring to the programme not the TV license. And I was responding to that point.

Unless one is watching BBC Iplayer or ITV catchup or some other such delayed service.
Old 04-11-2008, 16:39   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Unless one is watching BBC Iplayer or ITV catchup or some other such delayed service.
Or watching it illegally in other European countries.

Where a woman will come round with a little black box, charge you a fiver a month, and there you go, wall to wall Ross, Brand and Norton.

The fiver stays in the woman's pocket, and to the best of my knowledge doesn't go in Jonathan Ross's.

Old 04-11-2008, 16:54   #27
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
There used to be a myth that if you disabled a normal TV from receiving broadcast programmes you could then watch programmes recorded by a neighbour without the need for a license. Years ago people who tried to get round the license this way found out that they couldn’t.

I would suggest that the same applies today with the BBC iPlayer and catchup TV on the box.

The iPlayer thing is viewed via a computer connected to the Internet and computers are covered by the license terms.

I understand that modern mobile phones can now also receive TV programmes and believe it or not they too are covered by the TV license terms. A mobile phone is classed as a portable device with its own battery power supply and is covered by the domestic license (if you have one).

The clue is in the phrase “from any source and on any equipment.”
Old 04-11-2008, 17:12   #28
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Or watching it illegally in other European countries.

Where a woman will come round with a little black box, charge you a fiver a month, and there you go, wall to wall Ross, Brand and Norton.

The fiver stays in the woman's pocket, and to the best of my knowledge doesn't go in Jonathan Ross's.
It isn’t illegal to watch TV programmes. It is illegal to watch them without an appropriate license, if one is applicable. In fact it is worse than that. You need a TV license if you have working equipment capable of receiving TV programmes. Whether you watch any or not is irrelevant.

If you are in international waters you can watch UK TV without a license quite legally, as you can in nearby countries, although if that country has a similar licensing scheme you will need one.

However if your ship enters UK waters it immediately becomes liable for a TV license, even a foreign ship.

The Dutch regularly watch our TV for free. I don’t know if The Netherlands has a TV licensing system.
Old 04-11-2008, 19:44   #29
God Member

Quote:
There used to be a myth that if you disabled a normal TV from receiving broadcast programmes you could then watch programmes recorded by a neighbour without the need for a license. Years ago people who tried to get round the license this way found out that they couldn’t.

I would suggest that the same applies today with the BBC iPlayer and catchup TV on the box.

The iPlayer thing is viewed via a computer connected to the Internet and computers are covered by the license terms.

I understand that modern mobile phones can now also receive TV programmes and believe it or not they too are covered by the TV license terms. A mobile phone is classed as a portable device with its own battery power supply and is covered by the domestic license (if you have one).

The clue is in the phrase “from any source and on any equipment.”
Jambutty as it currently stands if the TV is not live (and I think recording TV for neighbours to watch is a separate copyright issue) but delayed, such as iPlayer then you do not require a tv licence. "from any source and on any equipment." Applies to live streams I suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/about_iplayer/tvlicence
You do not need a television licence to watch programmes on the current version of BBC iPlayer.
Old 04-11-2008, 22:05   #30
God Member

Oh plllllease.
People will be getting offended at Barry Chuckle next. The world's gone mad.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..