Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 15:54   #61
JFT96

Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

Welcome to the world of Big Brother and the Thought Police

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2008, 15:55   #62

A quite predictable, rabble-rousing response there. You went straight for the most extreme case didn't you.

OK then...The act of paedophilia is, quite rightly, a crime which should be punished with the full force of the law, as should any act which supports it.

Should the law prevent people expressing views on it? Right thinking people would disregard these views and any proponents would find themselves ignored. It is after all only debate we are talking about here.

You made your point clear that you regard a society as civilised when it restricts what can and cannot be said. I am sure that you will fit in well in your future job as director of the Ministry of Truth.
"Remember us." As simple an order as a king can give. "Remember why we died." For he did not wish tribute, nor song, nor monuments nor poems of war and valour. His wish was simple. "Remember us," he said to me. That was his hope, should any free soul come across that place, in all the countless centuries yet to be. May all our voices whisper to you from the ageless stones, "Go tell the Spartans, passerby, that here by Spartan law, we lie."
Meccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 15:56   #63
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I dont remember but will look
Posts 40 and 42 in this thread.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...t-39878-3.html

I also see Jambutty wandered off thread in post 31, when he pointlessly posted that I'd said I was a klutz, and he thought it was an admission.

Not an admission, just an illustration that I'm the first to mock myself. Usually because I'm soooooooo much better at it than anyone else.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 15:58   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Welcome to the world of Big Brother and the Thought Police
What Channel is the Thought Police on?

Old 11-11-2008, 15:59   #65

That made me titter, I must say.
"Remember us." As simple an order as a king can give. "Remember why we died." For he did not wish tribute, nor song, nor monuments nor poems of war and valour. His wish was simple. "Remember us," he said to me. That was his hope, should any free soul come across that place, in all the countless centuries yet to be. May all our voices whisper to you from the ageless stones, "Go tell the Spartans, passerby, that here by Spartan law, we lie."
Old 11-11-2008, 16:01   #66
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meccy View Post
A quite predictable, rabble-rousing response there. You went straight for the most extreme case didn't you.

OK then...The act of paedophilia is, quite rightly, a crime which should be punished with the full force of the law, as should any act which supports it.

Should the law prevent people expressing views on it? Right thinking people would disregard these views and any proponents would find themselves ignored. It is after all only debate we are talking about here.

You made your point clear that you regard a society as civilised when it restricts what can and cannot be said. I am sure that you will fit in well in your future job as director of the Ministry of Truth.
There were 'political' organisations in the 60's, in the Netherlands and the U.S.A., where they advocated their right to talk and campaign for adult/child 'love' to flourish.

Happily their right to free speech, to campaign for their sick ideals, have now been taken away.

Old 11-11-2008, 16:03   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
What Channel is the Thought Police on?
You'll find it on the number ten web site Rindi
Old 11-11-2008, 16:05   #68

There still are in America though thinly supported
Old 11-11-2008, 16:06   #69
JFT96

Oh I thought it was Dave, right after Top Gear repeats

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 16:08   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meccy View Post
I have every sympathy for your view on decency but I would ask this question. Where do you draw the line? One mans opinion on what is decent is not necessarily another's.

Freedom of speech should be absolute.
I draw the line when someone else's human rights are violated by someone claiming to have the right of freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech and deliberately upsetting people should not be confused yet you don't seem to see any difference.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 16:11   #71
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

Quote:
'Funnily' enough I really can't be bothered searching right now.

I do remember one time MargaretR chastised you for it though, and she mentioned incontinence in her reply, if that rings any bells for you.
I’m sure you can’t be bothered because you KNOW you will not find anything.

Strange how you could be bothered to make such an allegation in the first place.

You are nothing more than a manure stirrer.
Old 11-11-2008, 16:13   #72
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

Quote:
Would that freedom of speech also be available to pedophiles, for example?

Stand up child molesters, 'entertaining' others of the ilk?

Happily in most decent civilisations there are limits on what can and can't be said.
We could start off with your posts.
Old 11-11-2008, 16:13   #73
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I draw the line when someone else's human rights are violated by someone claiming to have the right of freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech and deliberately upsetting people should not be confused yet you don't seem to see any difference.
Agreed.

Happily we live in a civilisation where you can be prosecuted for preaching hate, from whichever end of the political spectrum.

Stuff the freedoms of those who preach hatred.

Old 11-11-2008, 16:14   #74
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I’m sure you can’t be bothered because you KNOW you will not find anything.

Strange how you could be bothered to make such an allegation in the first place.

You are nothing more than a manure stirrer.
Do try and keep up.

See post 63.

Old 11-11-2008, 16:14   #75
Resting in Peace

Have you heard the one about the Scotsman the Irishman the Englishman and the truck driver -hang on better stop now may offend the Englishman

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..