Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 16:15   #76
God Member

Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I’m sure you can’t be bothered because you KNOW you will not find anything.

Strange how you could be bothered to make such an allegation in the first place.

You are nothing more than a manure stirrer.
It did happen - look back to post #63

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2008, 16:16   #77
Give, give, give member

Quote:
We could start off with your posts.
Very cryptic.

Have the courage to say what you really mean, rather than veiled illusion.

We aren't mind readers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 16:18   #78
JFT96

Bearing in mind that 90 years ago a War ended that if we had lost would have had a very different outcome on the world we live in and would have destroyed the concept of free speech.

I find it rather sad that we have FIVE pages of whether Mr Clarkson has or has not upset one or two people. Anyone with half a brain would have laughed this comment off.

I remember that the same person has referred to Land Rover Discovery Drivers as Murderers (Kenneth Noyle) and Range Rover drivers as Drug Dealers and Porsche drivers as having rather small genitals. Mr Clarkson is not PC and will say things that might upset a few, you know this so if offended, don't watch, read or listen to him.

I do believe that there is a great device designed to censor anything you might find offensive, its called the remote control. So is anyone going to change your name to Mary Whitehouse?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 16:23   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Have you heard the one about the Scotsman the Irishman the Englishman and the truck driver -hang on better stop now may offend the Englishman
That depends what the truck driver has done
Old 11-11-2008, 16:25   #80
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Posts 40 and 42 in this thread.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...t-39878-3.html

I also see Jambutty wandered off thread in post 31, when he pointlessly posted that I'd said I was a klutz, and he thought it was an admission.

Not an admission, just an illustration that I'm the first to mock myself. Usually because I'm soooooooo much better at it than anyone else.

What has a thread wander got to do with the issue? Nothing! It’s just a silly attempt to deflect from your inability to find a post of mine taking the Micky out of disabled people.

If quoting the “Power Cut” thread is your attempt to justify your scurrilous allegation, it is so far off the mark as to be pitiful.
Old 11-11-2008, 16:27   #81
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Bearing in mind that 90 years ago a War ended that if we had lost would have had a very different outcome on the world we live in and would have destroyed the concept of free speech.

I find it rather sad that we have FIVE pages of whether Mr Clarkson has or has not upset one or two people. Anyone with half a brain would have laughed this comment off.

I remember that the same person has referred to Land Rover Discovery Drivers as Murderers (Kenneth Noyle) and Range Rover drivers as Drug Dealers and Porsche drivers as having rather small genitals. Mr Clarkson is not PC and will say things that might upset a few, you know this so if offended, don't watch, read or listen to him.

I do believe that there is a great device designed to censor anything you might find offensive, its called the remote control. So is anyone going to change your name to Mary Whitehouse?
No one has posted that what he said was anything other than distasteful.

Some find him funny, others don't, as happens with every 'humourist'.

The discussion has evolved into a discussion about what is an isn't acceptable to be spoken in a free society.

One page or a hundered, as long as people want to contribute, the thread will continue.

No one is forced to read it, or post in it, for that matter.

Old 11-11-2008, 16:28   #82

What next Garinda? - Shall we all meet at Oak Hill Park and burn some controversial books? Where shall we start, eh?

The bible - There's pretty strong stuff about smiting in the old testament.

Lady Chatterlies Lover - Yes that's a good one. Let's have none of that filth here!

The Origin of Species - I'm not descended from a monkey!

The Satanic Verses - Burn it.

Come on - let's burn them all -

You just carry on and one day, not too far away we will all be told exactly what to think and the penalties for denying the accepted orthodoxy will be terrible.

How can expressing a well argued opinion violate someone else's human rights?

It only can do that if acted upon by the ill-informed.
"Remember us." As simple an order as a king can give. "Remember why we died." For he did not wish tribute, nor song, nor monuments nor poems of war and valour. His wish was simple. "Remember us," he said to me. That was his hope, should any free soul come across that place, in all the countless centuries yet to be. May all our voices whisper to you from the ageless stones, "Go tell the Spartans, passerby, that here by Spartan law, we lie."
Meccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 16:29   #83
Give, give, give member

Quote:
What has a thread wander got to do with the issue? Nothing! It’s just a silly attempt to deflect from your inability to find a post of mine taking the Micky out of disabled people.

If quoting the “Power Cut” thread is your attempt to justify your scurrilous allegation, it is so far off the mark as to be pitiful.

Well MargaretR, and I presume others, saw what you said as a sly dig at Parkinson's Disease.

Perhaps you're really that funny, you don't even see it.

Old 11-11-2008, 16:31   #84
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Do try and keep up.

See post 63.
This may come as a great shock to you so I would suggest that you sit down and compose yourself.

Ready?

Good!

I do not sit at my computer hour after hour staring at the screen waiting for you, or anyone else for that matter, to post what you undoubtedly consider to be pearls of wisdom. I have a life away from the keyboard.
Old 11-11-2008, 16:34   #85
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It did happen - look back to post #63
Please see my post #80.
Old 11-11-2008, 16:35   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post

It's a debate - which is why some of us are enjoying this thread so much.

And perhaps because I have a full brain, not just half a one, I have considered whether to laugh it off or not rather than blithly following the 'well, anyone can switch the TV off' argument!

I had a look into Freedom of Speech and there is also a clause of harm.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 16:38   #87
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meccy View Post
What next Garinda? - Shall we all meet at Oak Hill Park and burn some controversial books? Where shall we start, eh?

The bible - There's pretty strong stuff about smiting in the old testament.

Lady Chatterlies Lover - Yes that's a good one. Let's have none of that filth here!

The Origin of Species - I'm not descended from a monkey!

The Satanic Verses - Burn it.

Come on - let's burn them all -

You just carry on and one day, not too far away we will all be told exactly what to think and the penalties for denying the accepted orthodoxy will be terrible.

How can expressing a well argued opinion violate someone else's human rights?

It only can do that if acted upon by the ill-informed.
So you think it is okay for hatred to be preached, in the interest of 'free speech'?

For a pedophile to stand in an election, it's happened, and be given free access to the democratic media, to spout their filth?

Happily, like most civilised people, I think not.

By the way, I've been involved politically, fighting for real freedoms, since you were swinging from your mother's teat.

(End on a joke, after all anything goes in the world of humour.)

Old 11-11-2008, 16:42   #88
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I do not sit at my computer hour after hour staring at the screen waiting for you, or anyone else for that matter, to post what you undoubtedly consider to be pearls of wisdom. I have a life away from the keyboard.
We know that.

Sometimes you sit in a disabled parking space, whilst your able bodied passenger does your errands.

Goodness, this freedom to say anything, and for it to be funny, is soooooooooo liberating.

Old 11-11-2008, 16:54   #89

Arghhh!!!!
"Remember us." As simple an order as a king can give. "Remember why we died." For he did not wish tribute, nor song, nor monuments nor poems of war and valour. His wish was simple. "Remember us," he said to me. That was his hope, should any free soul come across that place, in all the countless centuries yet to be. May all our voices whisper to you from the ageless stones, "Go tell the Spartans, passerby, that here by Spartan law, we lie."

Last edited by Meccy; 11-11-2008 at 16:57.
Old 11-11-2008, 16:56   #90

Garinda,

Do you regard your fellow countrymen as of a lesser intelligence than yourself? Are they not able to make up their own minds? For example, we all know that anti-Semitism is abhorrent, as is anti-Islamism and any other kind of anti-ism that you might care to mention.

Look what happened to Mosley - They ran him out of Cable Street because they knew what was right and he was, by and large, discredited. By all means let people preach whatever they want. Right thinking people - by far the majority - will ignore them.

To say that we need laws like these is insulting to the intelligence of the people of this country.

The government already has far too much power. If we don't now say "Enough!", then we condemn ourselves to live in a totalitarian society.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..