Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 22:03   #1
God Member

Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

Well is this going to be a new fad,? "Celeb loose lips"

Seems Jeremy clarkson is in trouble too for saying the wrong thing.

Clarkson comments spark controversy - Yahoo! News UK

Wonder how many will jump on the band wagon here?

Think the BBC would learn.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2008, 22:27   #2
God Member

Re: Jeremy Clarkson....Another Celeb Loose Lips.

Another nail in the coffin of the BBC

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 23:10   #3

I watched the show, heard the comments and I found them amusing . I also wondered if they would get any complaints about them. A few weeks ago what he said may have passed without too much comment any complaints being swept under the carpet.

Poor judgement to have let the comments go on air IMO…the BBC have learned nowt over the last week it would seem.
Old 03-11-2008, 23:13   #4
Give, give, give member

Perhaps if young Jeremy's parents hadn't spent all their time making Paddington Bears, he wouldn't have grown up to be such an obnoxious prat.

Never have, and never will like him.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 23:13   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I watched the show, heard the comments and I found them amusing . I also wondered if they would get any complaints about them. A few weeks ago what he said may have passed without too much comment any complaints being swept under the carpet.

Poor judgement to have let the comments go on air IMO…the BBC have learned nowt over the last week it would seem.
same here, wonder though if the excuse will be, this happened before we tightened up? its what i would say.
Old 03-11-2008, 23:17   #6
God Member

Making jokes about murdering anybody isn't funny. What gives these so called celebritys the right to toss uncalled for not funny comments into the mix??? Prostitute or not these people have families!!!

Would have thought the BBC might have learnt a lesson with the reaction to the last fiasco or do they think people will tune in to see if it will be repeated?? They are so wrong to keep allowing these things to be aired!!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 23:18   #7
Give, give, give member

A tasteless thing to say.

Neither witty or amusing, in my opinion.

The sort of remark I expect from the King of stone washed denim.

Jerermy Clarkson for Prime Minister?

Yeah right.

I wouldn't give him a job cleaning York Minster.

Old 03-11-2008, 23:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
same here, wonder though if the excuse will be, this happened before we tightened up? its what i would say.
They cant’t say that really, at the start of the show when they did the congratulation/commiseration thingy for Lewis Hamilton they stated that the show was recorded last Wednesday, so they din’t really know the outcome of the race.

Shoud be interesting to watch how hard folk wriggle to get out of this little blunder
Old 03-11-2008, 23:27   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Prostitute or not these people have families!!!
Exactly.

The families of Steve Wright's victims were probably laughing their heads off at his 'funny quip', almost as much as Andrew Sachs did.

There was a programme on last week about this killer, and they interviewed the friends and families of his victims. These were just ordinary people, whose daughters had been drawn to drugs, and then prostitution to fund their habits.

The families seemed decent people, who have lost people they loved.

Old 03-11-2008, 23:35   #10
Give, give, give member

'It (the B.B.C.) issued a statement which read: "The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona. This particular reference was used to comically exaggerate and make ridiculous an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving, and was not intended to cause offence."

Jeremy Clarkson in new BBC standards row - Telegraph

I think they meant to say add to the 'urban myth', rather than ridicule it.

Old 03-11-2008, 23:43   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

wonder if this is the sacked womans replacement that is responsible fer it being aired? lessons have been learned.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:10   #12
God Member

By making silly comments like this, Clarkson also detracted attention from the fact that lorry driving can be hard work, car drivers in general have no idea how long it takes to pick up speed in a lorry, or, more importantly, how long it takes to stop one!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:49   #13
God Member

Not watched it yet but come on, Top Gear is and has for some time been at the sharp end of humour. JC is reknown for his lack of PC. If you don't want to listen to it don't watch his show. In teh same vein that Roy Chubby Brown has his reputation that you don't go and then winge about him swearing!

it right to joke about it? not sure, I don't find it offensive in the same way that after almost every single disaster there are the round of 'jokes' that are part of how some people deal with things. Yes they are insensitive, yes they are probably 'more' cutting than say 10 years ago in the same way that programs like Silent witness, Wire in the blood etc all show far more gore than they would have even dared 10 years ago. Is it simply that we are more hardened than we were(rightly or wrongly)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:13   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek gas View Post
By making silly comments like this, Clarkson also detracted attention from the fact that lorry driving can be hard work, car drivers in general have no idea how long it takes to pick up speed in a lorry, or, more importantly, how long it takes to stop one!
Quite right derek, I drove a class two, which ain't a patch on benders with multi-gear ratio boxes, it ain't fun having to drop right down the box when you lose your revs. I was once going down the M6 early one Sunday morning, it was rather quiet at the time, then we came across a Sunday driver doing 40mph in the middle lane, would he move, would he hell. His wife was looking round giving us black looks, then he started pointing-to the outside lane, eventually he pulled into left hand lane and we overtook him, when we were passing, he shouted whats wrong with the outside lane, to which I politely told him, in words of one syllable, we couldn't use the outside lane

Last edited by jaysay; 04-11-2008 at 09:14. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:29   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Not watched it yet but come on, Top Gear is and has for some time been at the sharp end of humour. JC is reknown for his lack of PC. If you don't want to listen to it don't watch his show. In teh same vein that Roy Chubby Brown has his reputation that you don't go and then winge about him swearing!

it right to joke about it? not sure, I don't find it offensive in the same way that after almost every single disaster there are the round of 'jokes' that are part of how some people deal with things. Yes they are insensitive, yes they are probably 'more' cutting than say 10 years ago in the same way that programs like Silent witness, Wire in the blood etc all show far more gore than they would have even dared 10 years ago. Is it simply that we are more hardened than we were(rightly or wrongly)
good post ian.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..