Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2010, 09:29   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: keep it up Accy Labour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You seem to forget just how much debt this country is in Ken, when you borrow money at the same rat of knots as this last government did, without any sort of idea how to pay it back, or were not bothered because they were quite aware that once again it wouldn't be them who has to clear the mess up, when you borrow money whether it be national Government or the ordinary man in the street, there comes a time when you have to admit that you need to address your finances, unfortunately Labour never have and always let others clean up their mess, and it is a mess
selective memory, seem to remember the mess they were in when labour came to power. thats the differance between us- i know all of ems *******.
Old 15-05-2010, 09:34   #32
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
rat of knots

Is my memory going? I thought this last fiasco was brought on by a Global recession, not some labour inspired let's have a joke ready for when the Tories come to power.

Any way it's time for everyone in the whole world to buckle down and pay Benipete back, he can't support us all forever.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 09:40   #33
Common Sense Member

We were, very slowly, pulling ourselves out of recession. The situation was not ideal and I make no pretence that elements of the banking sector were allowed to get away with murder under the Labour government but the majority that have heavy state ownership are beginning to steadily repay their debts.

What will now happen is that the Tories (whilst trying to delude us that they're in coalition) will rape all the frontline services claiming that they had no choice due to Labour's mistakes.

In five years time, they will pledge more money for frontline services and we'll be expected to believe that it's sodding Christmas by simply offering us what they cut in the first place.

'The previous government' is the all-purpose excuse for any sticky situation they find themselves in and it hacks me off that it's the best excuse they can come up with.

That (if you're listening, Wynonie) is why I stick to local politics.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 09:41   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
selective memory, seem to remember the mess they were in when labour came to power. thats the differance between us- i know all of ems *******.
In 1997 Labour inherited the best economic figures of any incoming government in history, and squandered it, increased taxes to the highest in the countries history, sold of assets, such as the Gold reserves, and borrowed money like here was no tomorrow, a recipe for disaster and that's just what we've been left with
Old 15-05-2010, 09:47   #35
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
In 1997 Labour inherited the best economic figures of any incoming government in history, and squandered it, increased taxes to the highest in the countries history, sold of assets, such as the Gold reserves, and borrowed money like here was no tomorrow, a recipe for disaster and that's just what we've been left with
Was this thanks to the previous government raping such things as North Sea Oil, British Gas, British Telecomm', Electricity, Water,
Me?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 20:22   #36
God Member

Quote:
You seem to forget just how much debt this country is in Ken, when you borrow money at the same rat of knots as this last government did, without any sort of idea how to pay it back, or were not bothered because they were quite aware that once again it wouldn't be them who has to clear the mess up, when you borrow money whether it be national Government or the ordinary man in the street, there comes a time when you have to admit that you need to address your finances, unfortunately Labour never have and always let others clean up their mess, and it is a mess
As I said Jaysay, it matters not who is in power, they know it is for a limited period, and that the next elected government will have to clean up the mess, consequence... each party doesnt give a monkeys what mess they make, because they dont have to sort it out, the only penalty is being voted out at the next election, if there was a punishment, ie, they pay a percentage of the deficit back from their salary, they would think more carefully, if the common man worked for his employer the same way as many mp's do, they would be out on their ear within a month.
Old 21-05-2010, 20:42   #37
Super Moderator

So true, Derek, so true.
Old 22-05-2010, 09:30   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
As I said Jaysay, it matters not who is in power, they know it is for a limited period, and that the next elected government will have to clean up the mess, consequence... each party doesn't give a monkeys what mess they make, because they dont have to sort it out, the only penalty is being voted out at the next election, if there was a punishment, if, they pay a percentage of the deficit back from their salary, they would think more carefully, if the common man worked for his employer the same way as many mp's do, they would be out on their ear within a month.
Unfortunately Derek that's a layman's way of looking at things, even though ever word you say is true, but paying back out of their salary, whats £1 trillion split 650 ways
Old 22-05-2010, 09:51   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Unfortunately Derek that's a layman's way of looking at things, even though ever word you say is true, but paying back out of their salary, whats £1 trillion split 650 ways
Obviously a drop in the ocean, but if they knew they might cop for a cut in their salaries, it might concentrate their minds on making a better job of things!
Old 22-05-2010, 10:39   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Obviously a drop in the ocean, but if they knew they might cop for a cut in their salaries, it might concentrate their minds on making a better job of things!
Ya reght you've far more faith than me Wyn
Old 22-05-2010, 10:43   #41
Resting in Peace

Just for you Wyn, just for You
We're being treated like benefit claimants: Returning MPs hit out at new expenses system | Mail Online
Old 22-05-2010, 10:44   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ya reght you've far more faith than me Wyn
Oh, I know perfectly well it won't happen, Jaysay, as the majority of politicos (with certain honourable exceptions across the political spectrum0 are greedy, grabbing, self-interested sods!
Old 22-05-2010, 10:48   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Oh, I know perfectly well it won't happen, Jaysay, as the majority of politicos (with certain honourable exceptions across the political spectrum0 are greedy, grabbing, self-interested sods!
with certain Honourable exceptions, in that context, is rather an oxymoron don't you think Wyn
Old 22-05-2010, 10:49   #44
Super Moderator

Quote:
Doesn't surprise me at all. The difference between me and you is that you seem to have some sort of faith in the Tory lot. I know most of 'em - Tory. Labour, Lib/Dem - are snout-dipping troughers.
Old 22-05-2010, 10:56   #45
Super Moderator

Quote:
with certain Honourable exceptions, in that context, is rather an oxymoron don't you think Wyn
In my view, your buddy, Ken Hargreaves was one of the exceptions. I also reckon Graham Jones is another. Both decent, local blokes, who are genuinely concerned about helping their constituents, rather than lining their pockets or furthering their parliamentary careers. Obviously, your blue blinkers won't allow you to agree with me on the latter.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..