Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 08:38   #511
Common Sense Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Here you go.

The vast majority of the refurb is fairly impressive, it's only really aspects of the flooring that are of any physical concern. There was a bone of contention over wi-fi and internet access although this has since been clarified as wired connections available to each stall. Oh, and the cleaning of the floors and windows and brasses has also been questioned.

That sounds pretty awful, I genuinely think it looks good for the most part!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (529.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (547.4 KB, 19 views)

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-10-2010, 08:43   #512
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

it does look ok, but was under the impression the main object of a market hall, was to attract punters, but fer other reasons than the work done, it sure dont seem to be doing so.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:48   #513
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
it does look ok, but was under the impression the main object of a market hall, was to attract punters, but fer other reasons than the work done, it sure dont seem to be doing so.
That's the management side of things and the decisions taken by Cabinet members.

Don't get me started on that again....

Old 05-10-2010, 08:50   #514
God Member

Mossy, i reckon it's time to close this thread now, you're managing to make people defend PB with going on for so long about him
Old 05-10-2010, 09:05   #515
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
...... I genuinely think it looks good for the most part!
Good, its nice to see you being positive about our market.
All these negative comments from people could actually be keeping people away who might have visited and spent money on the market.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:10   #516
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Good, its nice to see you being positive about our market.
All these negative comments from people could actually be keeping people away who might have visited and spent money on the market.
Doubt it very much neil, i call in 3/4 times a week n have heard some comments of the few that do go in. i dont spend as much as i used to in yon,
Old 05-10-2010, 10:07   #517
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Doubt it very much neil, i call in 3/4 times a week n have heard some comments of the few that do go in. i dont spend as much as i used to in yon,
That's because you keep getting food delivered from Scotland
Old 05-10-2010, 10:50   #518
Give, give, give member

Off there now.

Will see what the word on the ground floor is this week.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25   #519
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Off there now.

Will see what the word on the ground floor is this week.
having just returned, ya will be swamped by women n music, summat goin on but none of em seem to shopping.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:42   #520
Beacon of light

Quote:

I doubt that too. I reckon most folk would visit out of curiosity....but I sincerely doubt they would return. It is a very poor excuse for a market hall, and I can see it becoming an empty market hall before too much longer. The shadow of Tesco looms large.

And didn't someone once say that there was no such thing as 'bad publicity' ?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 13:21   #521
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
And didn't someone once say that there was no such thing as 'bad publicity' ?
Have you been upstairs for a coffee yet?

I wonder if garinda went upstairs for a coffee?
Old 05-10-2010, 13:44   #522
Beacon of light

No I haven't been upstairs for a coffee...and I have to admit that the recent rant by Coffeebeanz has put me off.

I want to be able to go into a market hall that is buzzing with activity.....not a dead space(which is what it feels like to me....perhaps i am on my own here, but I doubt it)....I really do not want to have some sort of entertainment thrust upon me.......especially when it detracts from the reason of the market hall....which is, after all, to sell produce. Bury Market Hall is excellent.... it has a very wide variety of stalls, competitive prices, and NO music......or entertainment/distractions from the prime aim of a visit...which is to shop( and perhaps have a cuppa).
If Bury Market can manage to do the business in five days, then why can't Accrington do the same?

I have said that when the new Tesco opens...which looking at the progress made recently, must be sometime soon, then the Market hall will get even less of a look in.
I feel genuinely sorry for the traders who are going to be forced to work their gonads off to try to make a living.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 14:18   #523
Common Sense Member

I've just had a very productive conversation with Cllr Marlene Haworth in which I have offered to give her written suggestions on how I personally would conduct a review of six-day trading, something that she welcomed with open arms.

I've made it quite clear that I don't agree with six-day trading but since we are going to get the trial regardless of jitters in the ranks the only real option is to try and make it as painless as possible for the stallholders.

Old 05-10-2010, 15:19   #524
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Have you been upstairs for a coffee yet?

I wonder if garinda went upstairs for a coffee?
No.

I said I was going to visit, when I wished them well on here, until I, along with others, was branded as 'pathetic'.

Instead I had a very nice pathetic lunch, and latte, in Over Coffee.

The food, and service, was first class, as it usually is.

In the Market Hall I bought my usual supplies.

Saw massive piles of flyers at the back of Marks & Spencer, advertising tomorrow's visit by the celebrity chef A. Dildo Silly.

Hope they find the way to the right recycling sack, afterwards.

I wonder how much they cost?

There were enough there to paper the flags in the Market Hall...were once there was stalls.

Old 05-10-2010, 15:23   #525
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No I haven't been upstairs for a coffee...and I have to admit that the recent rant by Coffeebeanz has put me off.

I want to be able to go into a market hall that is buzzing with activity.....not a dead space(which is what it feels like to me....perhaps i am on my own here, but I doubt it)....I really do not want to have some sort of entertainment thrust upon me.......especially when it detracts from the reason of the market hall....which is, after all, to sell produce. Bury Market Hall is excellent.... it has a very wide variety of stalls, competitive prices, and NO music......or entertainment/distractions from the prime aim of a visit...which is to shop( and perhaps have a cuppa).
If Bury Market can manage to do the business in five days, then why can't Accrington do the same?

I have said that when the new Tesco opens...which looking at the progress made recently, must be sometime soon, then the Market hall will get even less of a look in.
I feel genuinely sorry for the traders who are going to be forced to work their gonads off to try to make a living.
I agree with every word.

A lot of the people on here, who seem to think the enforced six day trading is nothing to worry about, I've never, ever seen shopping in there.

Odd that.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..