Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 08:16   #571
Common Sense Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I wouldn't be suprised if the calculations to work out if Wednesday trading has been a success, at the end of the three month 'trial', are based on foot fall into the Market Hall, to see these costly 'celebrities', rather than working out how much people spent in there.

The portfolio holder will ultimately make the decision and I have a feeling which way things are going which is why I am working with the traders to formulate a fair system.

At some point I am bound to be accused of bias and trying to skew the figures in favour of abolishing Wednesday trading but if it truly is a financial success then my suggestions will show that too.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2010, 08:55   #572
Resting in Peace

Seems a little expensive in today's climate, must be a case of speculate to accumulate, great if it works, but not if it flops
Old 08-10-2010, 09:01   #573
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
He was indeed and placing him on the top floor made for much better acoustics but even he will have cost a few hundred quid for the day and I'm not sure that he would have drawn anyone in specifically to listen.

It's incredibly frustrating for me, just imagine how the traders feel.
It's something nice for those sole traders to listen to, as they are forced to open.

They wouldn't get to listen to it if they were buying stock, packing goods ready for sale, etc., as they used to do on Wednesdays.

They'll also be able to come back and listen to it after they've decided to pull out, when they decide trading in Accrington Market Hall is no longer a viable business option.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:13   #574
Give, give, give member

I counted about fifty people in Atarah's photographs.

Presuming he drew similar crowds at each of the three slots he did, that's 150 people who were enticed to come and see him.

Which equates to about £53.50 per person.

Great value, as I'm sure the tax payers of Hyndburn who couldn't attend, as they were busy working, in order to pay their taxes that funded it, would agree.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:21   #575
Senior Member+

Forgot to mention, was talking to a member of the council, in the market hall on Wednesday. When asked my views, I said that if I was honest, I would probably NOT venture up onto the balcony again, after my initial visit. Sorry people upstairs, but I have been brought up to only know the downstairs part.
One of my comments was that the clock could possibly be found a home there. The answer was "its being looked into" -Hmmmm! Interesting. If it happens, wonder who will get the credit for that?

Last edited by Atarah; 08-10-2010 at 09:25.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:29   #576
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Forgot to mention, was talking to a member of the council, in the market hall on Wednesday. When asked my views, I said that if I was honest, I would probably NOT venture up onto the balcony again, after my initial visit. Sorry people upstairs, but I have been brought up to only know the downstairs part.
One of my comments was that the clock could possibly be found a home there. The answer was "its being looked into" -Hmmmm! Interesting. If it happens, wonder who will get the credit for that?
I understand that plans have been afoot for some time to resurrect the Arndale Centre Clock but there's some dithering because it would cost a few thousand pounds.

You'll forgive me for not sniggering at the irony.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:52   #577
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I understand that plans have been afoot for some time to resurrect the Arndale Centre Clock but there's some dithering because it would cost a few thousand pounds.

You sniggering Ken its usually a full blown belly laugh
Old 08-10-2010, 09:57   #578
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You sniggering Ken its usually a full blown belly laugh
Usually, but I'm finding the Market Hall fiasco hard to laugh at.

Poking fun at policies and decisions is one thing but sometimes it just isn't that amusing.

Old 08-10-2010, 13:44   #579
Senior Member+

Quote:

If it was relocated to the Market Hall, perhaps we could hook it up to a generator, and PB & Marlene could take it in turns to sit a top it & ride the bike and help ecconomise on the lecky bill!...."We are All in it together" Lol!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 13:53   #580
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I think putting this clock in the Market Hall is a great idea. Could well encourage a few more visitors, even if only children dragging their parents in there to see it.

Hope they put the Father Christmas grotto in there too, or at least some sort of magnet pulling display.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 14:51   #581
Resting in Peace

Well, the refurbishment has been done now and no going back. I think it looks O.K. myself. Have to look at positive ways to encourage more visitors and stall holders ... sure you all have 'good' suggestions buzzing around in your head.

I don't agree with trying to force a 6-day trading on the stall holders though if many are unhappy with it. Has to be a joint agreement by all and done with enthusiasm, otherwise, they will always feel disgruntled and not make for a happy atmosphere.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 16:53   #582
God Member

what the hell is that stone flag floor all about? i'd not noticed it till i went in with a pram today, my poor niece was bounced all over the place, it won't be long before someone has an accident walking on that, it's shabby, uneven and it's not even finished in some places, i was going to let my 13 month old niece out of the pram so should could have a run around in the big open space in the market hall but i changed my mind as soon as the pram started wobbling

whoever thought of putting that floor down should be shot, it's a death trap

i just hope it isn't someone old who has an accident
Old 08-10-2010, 17:14   #583
God Member

Having commented on how scandalous the waste of taxpayers money on these 2 bit celebrities I've just had my blood pressure raised even more.

Had a letter from the council to demand the full balance of this years council tax. How far in arrears are we......................... 8 days

We pay it monthly due on the 1st of the month, yes I admit it tends to lapse a few days in to the month until I have time to sit down and sort it out but notice I did say we PAY it, in full, no discounts.

So now they are going to take us to court for non-payment

Cretins
Old 08-10-2010, 17:39   #584
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I think putting this clock in the Market Hall is a great idea. Could well encourage a few more visitors, even if only children dragging their parents in there to see it.

Hope they put the Father Christmas grotto in there too, or at least some sort of magnet pulling display.
How about you as Katie Christmas, bet you look great in red
Old 08-10-2010, 17:52   #585
JCB

Quote:
The cost of Aldo Zilli's presentation has been confirmed today as £8,030 not including the flyers.
The Con-Lib coalition keeps telling us what a bad state the Labour government left us in , and how we have to brace ourselves for cuts needed to get us out of the mess left by the Labour government .

Are they on another planet ? Haven't they heard that the mess was part of a global economic disaster that has affected all countries ?

Are Hyndburn Council on another planet also , throwing money about like there was no tomorrow ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..