Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 22:48   #541
God Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

hope they provide him with a stage so peeps can see him
Old 07-10-2010, 06:06   #542
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya JCB that's who I thought it was, just sad that Ken wasn't sat next to him
Peter didn't venture down yesterday as far as I'm aware although naturally Marlene was there and presented with a cookery book by Aldo Zilli. She gave a nice little speech to the throng who then all promptly vanished once the presentation had finished, although they didn't actually seem to be doing any shopping.

There were a lot of suits about and plenty of people with cameras (myself included, as ever) but I am slightly concerned by the rumoured cost of the chosen celebrity, something I need to find out for certain.

Although the Market Hall was slightly busier than usual, the traders still aren't very happy because yesterday simply wasn't busy enough to justify them being there instead of at the cash and carry. The only place I saw a marked increase in customers at was Coffeebeanz.....

Saturday would have been a much better day for that demonstration.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:47   #543
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Saturday would have been a much better day for that demonstration.
I think these chef's have their own restaurants and will be very busy at weekends Ken
Old 07-10-2010, 09:04   #544
God Member

Quote:
but I am slightly concerned by the rumoured cost of the chosen celebrity, something I need to find out for certain.
This is the page from his agency. If correct then it's scandalous considering the rents the traders have to pay. The money would be better used reducing rents

Aldo Zilli - Celebrity Italian Chef
Old 07-10-2010, 09:19   #545
Senior Member+

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment - did YOU go into town today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Went in the Market this morning at 9.15 ish. Must admit, was nice to be able to buy fresh meat from the butchers on a Wednesday. We just dont have any butchers shops anymore in the town. Also went to Smiths (bacon and sausage and cooked meats) and called at Len's, so at least they got a bit of business out of me.
Was back in town later and watched the chef for a while. Are any Accywebbers on the photos, I wonder?
Thats me stood at the bottom of the right stairway with my back to the camera, i have a grey jacket on with a thin black stripe across the back, stood next to an Italian lady in an orange jacket!

Yep its fair to say there was a reasonable number of people there, but mainly probably attracted either by novelty or the chefs demo's....no doubt there will be plenty of these over....let me guess....the next 3 months, which will artificially inflate market footfall & perhaps turnover! You watch these events dropped like a stone after though!

Certainly at between £5000-£10000 a shot, they cant be making ecconomic sense in the long term can they?..Aldo Zilli had a few staff with him though.

I noticed that Sean Wilson was originally advertised as appearing this Saturday, in all previous flyers and both adverts in Observer & Telegraph...but now he's been moved to next Wednesday!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 17:54   #546
JCB

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment - did YOU go into town today

(From Accrington Observer 8/10/10 page 3 article headlined "Historic day as times change for market" ):-
"The first Wednesday opening at Accrington Market Hall has been hailed a success , as traders finally signed leases introducing a six-day week " .

Also The Big Debate on page 6 is headlined "Yes to Wednesday market" .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 19:15   #547
Common Sense Member

The cost of Aldo Zilli's presentation has been confirmed today as £8,030 not including the flyers. At that price you don't really need to work in
a restaurant.

If the traders demand the criteria that I'm suggesting to evaluate success or failure then it will be a true financial comparison rather than a media-driven report which just happens to say that it has worked.

Old 07-10-2010, 19:21   #548
God Member

Quote:
The cost of Aldo Zilli's presentation has been confirmed today as £8,030 not including the flyers. At that price you don't really need to work in
a restaurant.

'KIN ELL
Old 07-10-2010, 19:24   #549
Senior Member+

Quote:
a restaurant.

If the traders demand the criteria that I'm suggesting to evaluate success or failure then it will be a true financial comparison rather than a media-driven report which just happens to say that it has worked.
Was the £30 to cover the cost of the food he bought in the Market Hall?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 19:28   #550
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Was the £30 to cover the cost of the food he bought in the Market Hall?

Best Regards - Taggy
You'd like to think so but somehow I doubt it. We've got Kenny Baker lined up as well who is also reputed to be quite expensive.

I'm not knocking their efforts to draw people in but Wednesday is not the day to do it and in all honesty I think the traders would prefer reduced rents all round to fill the stalls and actually have something for people to buy.

Sorry Marlene, I simply can't condone spending that much money on one person. Get someone local to do a presentation using stuff that has been purchased in the Market Hall, promote Accrington and not London.

Old 07-10-2010, 19:29   #551
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
'KIN ELL
That's what I thought, Shaz.

Old 07-10-2010, 19:33   #552
God Member

Quote:
a restaurant.

That is probably the equivalent of one years rent for one of the smaller inside market units. Scandalous
Old 07-10-2010, 19:35   #553
God Member

does this mean they are going to keep forking out for minor celebs just to 'try' and bring trade in?

what utter sh!te
Old 07-10-2010, 19:35   #554
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Shouldn't that read Aldo Zillions ! Someones taking the pish !

11 Wednesdays up to Crimbo, averaging out 8k per display = 88,000 squids !!! Oh deary me, not a wise move !

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 07-10-2010 at 19:39.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 19:35   #555
God Member

does this mean they are going to keep forking out for minor celebs just to 'try' and bring trade in?

how would you put that down on the council expenses?

what utter sh!te

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..