Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 19:38   #556
God Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

In fact I've just worked out I'll have to pay the equivalent in business rates to Hyndburn council for nearly 7 years for the same amount
Old 07-10-2010, 19:39   #557
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
You'd like to think so but somehow I doubt it. We've got Kenny Baker lined up as well who is also reputed to be quite expensive.

I'm not knocking their efforts to draw people in but Wednesday is not the day to do it and in all honesty I think the traders would prefer reduced rents all round to fill the stalls and actually have something for people to buy.

Sorry Marlene, I simply can't condone spending that much money on one person. Get someone local to do a presentation using stuff that has been purchased in the Market Hall, promote Accrington and not London.
He did get a pound of Mince from Slacks Farm Butchers, and a lump of Cheese from the Cheese Stall Ken...bet that made it worth there while opening!

I would hope that Sean Wilson aint being paid much since he's basically just advertising his own Cheeses, which the Cheese stall are already stocking!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 19:50   #558

The singer/saxophone player was good on Wednesday. The only thing though He sang all day in between zilli (for more hundreds of pounds probably!)
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 20:06   #559
Beacon of light

How can these sums of money be justified? I am disgusted that the council feel this is a cost effective way of bringing business into the Market Hall.
It would have been far more sensible to allow the stall holders a reduced rent arrangement for the duration of the trial Wednesday opening.

What a shower of doo-doo they really are.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 21:10   #560

Good grief, I'm a chef, i'd have done it for the odd 30 quid.
Wonder if on his way out with his bulging back pocket he said bon-appetito.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 21:31   #561
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Are the stall holders being charged more rent for opening on Wednesdays (yes I do Nikki) or is it like Orange Free Wednesdays?
Old 07-10-2010, 22:02   #562

Think they will have to charge them Neil, that way they can pay for all the "entertainment".
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:11   #563
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Are the stall holders being charged more rent for opening on Wednesdays (yes I do Nikki) or is it like Orange Free Wednesdays?

For the Market Hall the rents are charged on an annual price and paid monthly.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:20   #564
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The cost of Aldo Zilli's presentation has been confirmed today as £8,030 not including the flyers.
It would have been cheaper to knit, or crochet one.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:25   #565
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
In fact I've just worked out I'll have to pay the equivalent in business rates to Hyndburn council for nearly 7 years for the same amount

Don't go doing that.

Working out the cost of things in the amount of tax you pay.

The money H.B.C. spends on these sort of things is 'special money', not people's hard earned taxes.

It's grown on magical trees, up the Coppice.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:25   #566
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Shouldn't that read Aldo Zillions ! Someones taking the pish !

11 Wednesdays up to Crimbo, averaging out 8k per display = 88,000 squids !!! Oh deary me, not a wise move !
Which Council budget is this coming from? According to its Statement of Accounts, on page 30 of the following

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...d_24Sep-10.pdf

the Markets as a trading undertaking made a surplus of 87,000 in 2009/2010.

Are the Council using this surplus to pay for the Wednesday entertainments, or is it coming from corporate publicity budgets?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:47   #567
Beacon of light

Where ever the money is coming from.......it is a very poor use of resources......frivolous and extravagant........with no guarantee of achieving what it is meant to achieve....that is, a better shopping experience in the Market Hall.
I would make a bet that many of those who sat and watched the cookery display left the market hall without spending anything. How does that help the traders to make a living?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:52   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Which Council budget is this coming from? According to its Statement of Accounts, on page 30 of the following

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...d_24Sep-10.pdf

the Markets as a trading undertaking made a surplus of 87,000 in 2009/2010.

Are the Council using this surplus to pay for the Wednesday entertainments, or is it coming from corporate publicity budgets?
I formally asked Marlene Howarth where the money was coming from - she told me that it was neither capital nor revenue but had come from some money put aside for the Town Centre Regeneration Board.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:55   #569
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Where ever the money is coming from.......it is a very poor use of resources......frivolous and extravagant........with no guarantee of achieving what it is meant to achieve....that is, a better shopping experience in the Market Hall.
I would make a bet that many of those who sat and watched the cookery display left the market hall without spending anything. How does that help the traders to make a living?
I wouldn't be suprised if the calculations to work out if Wednesday trading has been a success, at the end of the three month 'trial', are based on foot fall into the Market Hall, to see these costly 'celebrities', rather than working out how much people spent in there.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:00   #570
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
The singer/saxophone player was good on Wednesday. The only thing though He sang all day in between zilli (for more hundreds of pounds probably!)
He was indeed and placing him on the top floor made for much better acoustics but even he will have cost a few hundred quid for the day and I'm not sure that he would have drawn anyone in specifically to listen.

There's a lot of face-saving money being thrown about to show that Wednesdays are a viable market day in Accrington and, despite being on the council, I can do absolutely nothing to directly intervene.

It's incredibly frustrating for me, just imagine how the traders feel.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..