Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 19:00   #586
Senior Member+

Talking Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
what the hell is that stone flag floor all about? i'd not noticed it till i went in with a pram today, my poor niece was bounced all over the place, it won't be long before someone has an accident walking on that, it's shabby, uneven and it's not even finished in some places, i was going to let my 13 month old niece out of the pram so should could have a run around in the big open space in the market hall but i changed my mind as soon as the pram started wobbling

whoever thought of putting that floor down should be shot, it's a death trap

i just hope it isn't someone old who has an accident
Him that put the floor down will never get another headache never mind get shot.
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2010, 19:26   #587
Resting in Peace

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Him that put the floor down will never get another headache never mind get shot.
Wasn't put down Walkinman ... was the original floor which was discovered under the overlay (or whatever you call it). Again, I think great stuff in preserving our heritage.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 19:42   #588
God Member

Andybody know a decent builder who could do some pointing on it?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 19:46   #589
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Seeing as it is part of the buildings fabric & heritage, could they not smooth down the rough edges & snags thereby allowing unimpeded movement to prams/trolleys etc. & ensuring no one trips, but enables the floors integrity to remain ?

Beats covering it in concrete or some equivalent gunk ! Sure it won't cost more than some of the ideas for the place !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 20:15   #590
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Wasn't put down Walkinman ... was the original floor which was discovered under the overlay (or whatever you call it). Again, I think great stuff in preserving our heritage.
It was put down when the market hall was built i would think so the person that did it will be long dead hence he will never get another headache.
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 20:51   #591

When they discovered the original flagged floor under the asphalt floor I believe English Heritage put quite a few thousand pounds into the pot ( 80k was what I was told ) on the understanding that it was cleaned up and returned to its original state. There is supposed to be a 4mm height tolerance across the hall floor, which is obviously not the case. I expected to see some sort of machine in there skimming the floor but instead saw some poor sod breaking his back with an angle grinder taking the high bits off a few of the flags.

Under the carpets at three entrances there are no flags, it’s concrete from when the entrances were re-floored prior to the old asphalt going down. The carpets got put there as a quick fix for the “Re-opening Ceremony” earlier in the year. The concrete was supposed to be dug up and new flags installed. Heard that there was no cash left, the cost would be 16k and that the Council had no intent of paying.

A few members of the public have already fallen either tripping on the carpets at the entrances or on the flags themselves. Dunno if any compensation claims have been lodged.
Old 08-10-2010, 20:56   #592
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Heard that there was no cash left, the cost would be 16k and that the Council had no intent of paying.

Well I can think where they could have found half of it
Old 08-10-2010, 21:09   #593

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
It's bloody criminal Dave.

You noticed that the glass cellar skylights on the Hall floor have still not been sorted out, just covered with bits of cardboard or plywood taped to the floor. Christ, some of the glass blocks are completely missing.

A few claims going in might gee them up but that would mean someone would have to have been hurt and it shouldn't have come to come to that.

Hope someone drags the H&S Executive in

Last edited by Neil; 08-10-2010 at 22:23. Reason: *'s
Bonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 22:04   #594
Give, give, give member

Quote:
By not employing Z-list celebrities like Dildo Zilly?

Cancel cheesy Martin Platt next week, and hey presto, new flags.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 22:09   #595
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Cancel cheesy Martin Platt next week, and hey presto, new flags.
I would think the chances of that happening are zero. A certain councillor will need a sample of cheese to finish off one of the recipes in her new cookery book
Old 08-10-2010, 22:21   #596
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I would think the chances of that happening are zero. A certain councillor will need a sample of cheese to finish off one of the recipes in her new cookery book
The whole thing has a worse stench than a Stinking Bishop.

Still, as long as Cllr. Haworth is happy with her pound of flesh, whoops...cheese, everything is hunky-dory in the Market Hall in La-la land.

Old 08-10-2010, 22:22   #597
Senior Member+

Didnt even know the actor had turned cheese maker, until I read it on Accyweb. Details here:-

Saddleworth Cheese Co - Sean Wilson Cheese
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 22:24   #598
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Didnt even know the actor had turned cheese maker, until I read it on Accyweb. Details here:-

Saddleworth Cheese Co - Sean Wilson Cheese
I don't think even Gail and David know.

They still think he's nursing in Liverpool.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:51   #599
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
that the mess was part of a global economic disaster
Other countries were not as reckless with their sending for 11 years previous to the down turn, they went on a spend, spend, spend binge, just like a demented pools winner, with no financial plan in place for the future, now we are paying the price in a big way

Last edited by Mick; 09-10-2010 at 08:54.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:40   #600
God Member

was talking to one of the ladies at Slacks yesterday and she couldn't believe it when i told her how much Aldo Zilli charges for appearances, lets hope it's got around the market

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..