Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2007, 23:24   #61
Give, give, give member

Re: More to show how pathetic the justice system is

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
What children are actually capable of doing is scary and from 10yr old upwards yes they ARE treated like a criminal
The ten year old killers of Jamie Bulger only served eight years of a life sentence, and like Mary Bell, will continue to have their privacy protected and funded at the expense of the tax payer. All of which seems to afford a greater level of security and justice, than was handed out to this ten year old girl.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2007, 00:51   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The ten year old killers of Jamie Bulger only served eight years of a life sentence, and like Mary Bell, will continue to have their privacy protected and funded at the expense of the tax payer. All of which seems to afford a greater level of security and justice, than was handed out to this ten year old girl.
I can imagine 8yrs in prison is a long time for 10yr old boys though and privacy is protected for the good of good people, not them. Do you think the courts want to have to punish good people who act criminally against these terrible people in a 'moral' way? Its better for everyone if we don't have to hear of them or see good people sent to prison because of them.

I'd rather not have young killers like mary bell and thomson and venebles on the streets but to be quite frank I'd rather not have to hear of sexually active ten yr olds on the street either, who although may have had a rubbish upbringing, should still realise that every other ten yr old she would've attended school with wont be having sex with grown men.
10 yr olds are capable of knowing right from wrong no matter what they're upbringing, and she should know perfectly well she shouldn't be having sex with anyone, especially not grown men.

I have sympathy for the girl don't get me wrong but I will not be fooled into believing a ten yr old has no common sense. Mary Bell herself is a clear example that ten yr old girls are very very capable of forming decisions and knowing all too well that they shouldn't be doing it.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 01:11   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Mary Bell was ten when she killed, but this isn't an issue about criminal liability. This girl isn't a criminal, she's a victim.
the point was not about criminal liability, it was about what some kids are capable of, i remember people commenting about Mary Bell at the time,some where saying, she didn,t know what she was doing - too young to understand etc, history proved them wrong, i said she was an evil bitch n got some stick off a couple of women on our street, i was only a teenager- what did i know? i stand by my point - the prosecution have ALL the facts, not the press, they know far more about it than you or i, and that will do for me. if they were saying she was not willing thats a whole differant ball game, its just the same as mary bell, some people cannot see any bad in kiddies.
Old 29-06-2007, 07:52   #64
Resident Waffler

As a school governor I come across a lot of 10 year old kids and there are as many differences in their maturity as there are kids. Some of them are sweet and adorable and a sheer delight to know. Some are anything but. One delightful little chap was incredibly proud of his big brother being in prison for assault.

We even had a little gang once who tried to set fire the one of the classrooms with a teacher still inside!

It's quite frightening sometimes what 10 year olds are capable of.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 12:40   #65
God Member

Some adults actually go out at night with the full intentions of accusing men of rape and if children like Mary Bell are capable of committing murder as we percieve an adult to do, then its perfectly possible no matter how unlikely that a little girl could also go out with the intentions of accusing someone of raping her.

Mental illnesses aren't ust limited to adults, children can also have frightening tendencies as well which I would really refer to as mental illness more than anything. Children who do things like Mary Bell are in no way normal children, and children who are sexually active at the age of 10 to be deemed 'experienced' are in no way normal either and as sad as it is that a little girl has been brought up wrongly and in bad circumstances does not mean she deserves to be made out to be a poor innocent victim without looking at the facts, which as already said the courts will have had ALL the facts and made the decision accordingly.
Old 29-06-2007, 12:58   #66
Resident Waffler

Absolutely agree with you there Blazey.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 13:25   #67
God Member

Men are warned more than women not to sleep around these days on drunken nights out in case the women isn't happy the night after and accuses him of rape.
Its scary that there are women so willing to do that to someone because they wish they hadn't done something.

People can so easily choose to reck another persons life and they're looked at in a sympathetic way. You shouldn't think subjectively when looking at situations like these, it often leads to very bad decisions. You have to be really detached to people if you want to give a true opinion of the situation.

Its a bit like how doctors have to be objective when they decide to turn off a life support machine or stop trying to revive someone. They can't let their own feelings get in the way of a decision.
Old 29-06-2007, 17:28   #68
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
She was a sexually active 10yr old girl, that in itself is more of a surprise than the fact these men had slept with her, I mean she was said to be experienced and had done it before.

It absolutely sickens me that a little girl manipulates men to sleep with her believing she is much older and nobody is worried about the mental state of a person who would act in such a way at that age.
Yes, isn't that terrible? she is sexually active at 10 years old? Does that not indicate she was corrupted? I have met many 10 year olds but never noticed them to be more sexually aware than the traditional Rhubarb patch of 'doctors and Nurses' type thing, (with kids of their own age), to know about sex, some swine taught her.

This is a disgraceful reflection of how we still haven't enough protection for children no matter what background they come from.

No child should be forced or persuaded to lose their innocence, growing up without some form of security, is a bad reflection on the rest of us, not the child.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 18:39   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yes, isn't that terrible? she is sexually active at 10 years old? Does that not indicate she was corrupted? I have met many 10 year olds but never noticed them to be more sexually aware than the traditional Rhubarb patch of 'doctors and Nurses' type thing, (with kids of their own age), to know about sex, some swine taught her.

This is a disgraceful reflection of how we still haven't enough protection for children no matter what background they come from.

No child should be forced or persuaded to lose their innocence, growing up without some form of security, is a bad reflection on the rest of us, not the child.
From the sounds of the story she would've had to be keen to participate or else she could've just said, I'm only 10yrs old and the men would've likely backed off.

How many 10yr olds dress up to look 16 and go out for sex with nobody pressurising it directly? Fair enough if someone older had sent her out to do it but there is no other person involved, she did it on her own accord. The men may have suggested sex but she would've had to have lied about her own age and dressed up to look 16 herself.

I'm sorry but yes 10yr olds are generally naive and innocent but this one doesnt sound like your typical 10yr old, and although it would be better to believe she is just a victim in all this, it would be unfair to suggest she isn't partially to blame for the circumstances.
Old 29-06-2007, 18:43   #70
Give, give, give member

Ok, she must be a nasty little slut, and she should have been the sentenced and locked up, and the nice men should be financially fully compensated for the stress of being arrested.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 18:56   #71
God Member

Quote:
Ok, she must be a nasty little slut, and she should have been the sentenced and locked up, and the nice men should be financially fully compensated for the stress of being arrested.
I'm saying in situations like these its not always black and white one persons fault. Unless you have read the law report on it nobody can make a proper judgement on why the decision was made. Like I said I've had to study things like this before and there have been sympathetic views taken and just strict ones.

Its not necessarily a poor judgement on the judges part but without seeing his reasoning for it you just can't tell and you cant know the full story. The newspapers are not reliable for giving the in's and outs of the true facts.
Old 29-06-2007, 19:42   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
how you reached that conclusion beats me- dont think anyone else has.
Old 29-06-2007, 20:28   #73

Looking at the title of this thread and having read through the previous postings a thought ocurred. Within the crimnal justice arena mistakes are clearly made from time to time and there are aspects of the process which are outdated and to some degree out of step with Britain today. That being said the British Criminal Justice system is on the whole extremely good.

In regard to threads posted about juvenile offenders- how long do you think children who murder should be sent to prison for? Life?
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 20:41   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Looking at the title of this thread and having read through the previous postings a thought ocurred. Within the crimnal justice arena mistakes are clearly made from time to time and there are aspects of the process which are outdated and to some degree out of step with Britain today. That being said the British Criminal Justice system is on the whole extremely good.

In regard to threads posted about juvenile offenders- how long do you think children who murder should be sent to prison for? Life?
I think they should be assessed when they reach adulthood and then it should be decided whether they are safe to return to begin normal adult life or continue serving time.

I also agree the legal system is good and far more fairer than some other countries, although I imagine some people would prefer more conservative laws based on an eye for an eye rulings...
Old 29-06-2007, 20:47   #75

Quote:
I think they should be assessed when they reach adulthood and then it should be decided whether they are safe to return to begin normal adult life or continue serving time.

I also agree the legal system is good and far more fairer than some other countries, although I imagine some people would prefer more conservative laws based on an eye for an eye rulings...

Couldnt agree more.
Never quite understood the logic of an eye for an eye-
what you did was so wrong it needs to be punished, I mean it was just so wrong we cant believe it. How could anyone do something as wrong as this. Do you know what- it was so wrong we are going to do the same thing to you. But hang on a minute doesnt that mean we have now done the really wrong thing as well!!

Did Derek Bentley meet the eye for an eye sollution to his 'offence'.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..