Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2008, 21:56   #16
God Member

Re: Ouch ! 35% price hike from British Gas

The household fuel prices have got out of control...just a thought..if the Electricity and gas were still public companies..would this, or any Goverment, risk losing votes by allowing such price increases while making huge profits?.. I think not... thanks alot Maggie Thatch!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-07-2008, 22:02   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The household fuel prices have got out of control...just a thought..if the Electricity and gas were still public companies..would this, or any Goverment, risk losing votes by allowing such price increases while making huge profits?.. I think not... thanks alot Maggie Thatch!
exacty the point i was making early in the thread, certain people aint commented on that though, maybe cos its indefensible.
Old 30-07-2008, 22:04   #18
Resting in Peace

Think it time for the power suppliers to be re-natonalised and then hope that the profits can be set back to keep costs down
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 22:07   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
got it in one Ber, who sold all the utilities off? were certainly paying the price fer it.
yep...missed it but spot on Cashy!
Old 30-07-2008, 22:10   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber999T View Post
Think it time for the power suppliers to be re-natonalised and then hope that the profits can be set back to keep costs down
not sure even that would work now, everything public that was sold fer 30pcs of silver is well knackered now, cos profit always beats the consumer. it wasn't perfect before, but compared to now it was.
Old 30-07-2008, 22:18   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber999T View Post
The Divies in power can't buy them back............they have no money.
This shower of turkey's have been in power for eleven years and still they harp on about the past.
Eleven years to get thing right is a hell of a long time.
OK, we have slated Maggie.....Throw her into the Thames you say.
What about throwing GB off the Forth Bridge for good measure?
Harold Wilson made a complete balls of the countries finances.....Gordon Brown is doing exactly the same.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950

Last edited by Royboy39; 30-07-2008 at 22:23.
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 22:22   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
The Divies in power can't buy them back............they have no money.
This shower of turkey's have been in power for eleven years and still they harp on about the past.
Eleven years to get thing right is a hell of a long time.
OK, we have slated Maggie.....Throw her into the Thames you say.
What about throwing GB off the Forth Bridge for good measure?
oh its good to see ya imply your lot cocked it up in the first place.
Old 30-07-2008, 22:29   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
oh its good to see ya imply your lot cocked it up in the first place.
I think you should abstain at the next General Election Pal.
I know your views and respect them.
I don't think the New Labour stand one chance in hell of getting re-elected.

Old 30-07-2008, 22:30   #24

I don’t mind a company making a bit of profit, heck I expect our largest companies to make a profit and do well.

When an industry as a whole has the market cornered and companies in that industry are making obscene profits ( think BP are doin £37m per day right now ) I think that it stinks that they seem to do little for the needy of the country.
Old 30-07-2008, 22:32   #25
God Member

Be under no illusion. A nationalised company still has to produce things at cost to the taxpayer. The huge rises in wholesale energy pricing would still affect it.

Now which do I want; A company that has no competition and no incentive to do better or produce cheaper products, or a company that has to compete for its customers, driving the prices down.

Monopolies are terrible for the consumer, whether it be public or private. It is only through competition that we can ensure our providers do not get complacent.
Old 30-07-2008, 22:34   #26
God Member

Would say our suppliers are being very complacent and they don't give a toss about the poor beggars who need what they are selling!!!!!
Old 30-07-2008, 22:36   #27
God Member

You lucky beggars with chimneys -you can burn your furniture

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 22:37   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I don’t mind a company making a bit of profit, heck I expect our largest companies to make a profit and do well.

When an industry as a whole has the market cornered and companies in that industry are making obscene profits ( think BP are doin £37m per day right now ) I think that it stinks that they seem to do little for the needy of the country.
That calls for legislatiion...........are our governers prepared to act to curb the profit makers?........I don't think so.
A lot of them are shareholders or advisers and would loose out.

Old 30-07-2008, 22:37   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

yeh but when they did cyfr, services were a damn site better as i'm sure anyone who has lived through both options will verify if they are honest.
Old 30-07-2008, 22:46   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Be under no illusion. A nationalised company still has to produce things at cost to the taxpayer. The huge rises in wholesale energy pricing would still affect it.

Now which do I want; A company that has no competition and no incentive to do better or produce cheaper products, or a company that has to compete for its customers, driving the prices down.

Monopolies are terrible for the consumer, whether it be public or private. It is only through competition that we can ensure our providers do not get complacent.
Oh dear..here we go again... "the spirit of free enterprise" ...it's all the same stuff from the 80's.. next we will hear about the "trickle down effect"..big business makes massive profits on the back of public services and we..the public..will benifit as those profits "trickle" down to us... nowt's changed much in the New Conservatives eh?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..