Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2008, 22:46   #31

Re: Ouch ! 35% price hike from British Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
That calls for legislatiion...........are our governers prepared to act to curb the profit makers?........I don't think so.
A lot of them are shareholders or advisers and would loose out.
There is call for a “Windfall Tax” to be introduced…will see what happens.

Windfall tax call after BP makes £1.5m every hour

Windfall tax call over BP
Call for windfall tax on BP's 'obscene' £37 million a day profits
Old 30-07-2008, 22:49   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ya mean ****all tax dont ya bonnyboy?
Old 30-07-2008, 22:53   #33
God Member

Quote:
That calls for legislatiion...........are our governers prepared to act to curb the profit makers?........I don't think so.
A lot of them are shareholders or advisers and would loose out.
You may have a point there Royboy...you mean like selling off British Steel and the minister in charge of the sell off (George Younger) becomes head of the new company...selling off London Transport and the minister in charge (Norris) becomes the head of the new company.. thieving Tories!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 22:53   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ya mean ****all tax dont ya bonnyboy?
Probably turn out to be just that
Old 30-07-2008, 22:57   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Be under no illusion. A nationalised company still has to produce things at cost to the taxpayer. The huge rises in wholesale energy pricing would still affect it.

Now which do I want; A company that has no competition and no incentive to do better or produce cheaper products, or a company that has to compete for its customers, driving the prices down.

Monopolies are terrible for the consumer, whether it be public or private. It is only through competition that we can ensure our providers do not get complacent.
thats load of bollocks even if it was true i would rather see the money go back into the country than the chosen few. tories say they are for competition how come its the same people who always profit ie thatchers mates.we dont need to pay for them just compulsery re-posses them if they can nationalse a bank and bal them out they can nationalise and r-create the infrastructure of this country and bail out the backbone of this country and not just the chosen few .the more think of the selling off of assets the more it stinks.
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 22:58   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
You may have a point there Royboy...you mean like selling off British Steel and the minister in charge of the sell off (George Younger) becomes head of the new company...selling off London Transport and the minister in charge (Norris) becomes the head of the new company.. thieving Tories!
Yes I do mean that.......Are you happy with your lot?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 23:01   #37
God Member

[quote=Royboy39;612952]Yes I do mean that.......Are you happy with your lot?[/quote
This Government are not "my lot"...I just know from my guts that the Tories mean more and more agony.
Old 30-07-2008, 23:12   #38
God Member

[quote=Mancie;612953]
Quote:
Yes I do mean that.......Are you happy with your lot?[/quote
This Government are not "my lot"...I just know from my guts that the Tories mean more and more agony.
Then who are?..........Not the BNP or is that an awkward question?

Old 30-07-2008, 23:15   #39
God Member

[quote=Royboy39;612957]
Quote:

Then who are?..........Not the BNP or is that an awkward question?
I would rather cut my hand off than vote BNP or Tory.. I will vote for almost any other that may keep the Tories out... there you go
Old 30-07-2008, 23:18   #40
God Member

[quote=Mancie;612958]
Quote:
I would rather cut my hand off than vote BNP or Tory.. I will vote for almost any other that may keep the Tories out... there you go
Raving Loonies............Ye that fits

Old 30-07-2008, 23:27   #41
God Member

[quote=Royboy39;612959]
Quote:

Si Senor
Old 31-07-2008, 00:51   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes I do mean that.......Are you happy with your lot?
Can't see a problem,Gordon assures us inflation is only 3.8%.Although by my calculation my personal inflation rate is 25%.But of course I took into Account Food-Gas-water-petrol-electric-beer and fags-bus and rail charges,in fact everything MP's claim as expenses.Sorry I missed out Their holiday homes in Cornwall and their second homes in London(Sorry Jack could not resist)
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 07:38   #43
Super Moderator

[quote=Royboy39;612959]
Quote:

Don't bring "my lot" into this! The REAL Loonies are the Thatcherites who sold off our public utilities, effectively putting us all at the mercy of out-and-out profiteers, and the Nu Laborites who have done not one thing to reverse this process over the last 11 years. What is the point, Mancie, of keep ranting on about what the Tories did in the 80's? In my view, it was appalling, but it's history now - you can't change it. Why the hell aren't the present government doing something about it NOW?
Old 31-07-2008, 08:31   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

[QUOTE=Wynonie Harris;613019]
Quote:

Don't bring "my lot" into this! The REAL Loonies are the Thatcherites who sold off our public utilities, effectively putting us all at the mercy of out-and-out profiteers, and the Nu Laborites who have done not one thing to reverse this process over the last 11 years. What is the point, Mancie, of keep ranting on about what the Tories did in the 80's? In my view, it was appalling, but it's history now - you can't change it. Why the hell aren't the present government doing something about it NOW?
the problem i see with anyone trying to reverse the damage is the SOCIETY CREATED BY IT. imho.
Old 31-07-2008, 08:43   #45
God Member

[quote=Wynonie Harris;613019]
Quote:

OK Wynonie and the rest of the "quick fix" brigade on here.. are you prepared to pay higher taxes to buy back the utilities the Tories gave away?... and do you really belive the next Tory Goverment will eradicate all..or any..of the present enconomic deep kak we are ending up in?.. I winge about the last Government because we have had a relitivley good 11 years..when the Tories get back in it will be at least another 4yrs of kak!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..