Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2008, 09:19   #91
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Ouch ! 35% price hike from British Gas

paris heard a report on radio lancs this morning, was a lancs coalman,saying more people are switching back to coal, they still have coal nooks so have a storage place, he also said they were looking at re-opening some pits in lancs, cos theres still plenty of coal in em, will be interesting to see how/if that develops, have me doubts personally, but think it would be great, warmer homes, extra jobs, etc, mind that would never do,would it?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:24   #92
God Member

extra smog, decent sunsets, etc

seriously though, if you have a fireplace, there is loads of places to get free wood, why not go back to burning it?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:54   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
paris heard a report on radio lancs this morning, was a lancs coalman,saying more people are switching back to coal, they still have coal nooks so have a storage place, he also said they were looking at re-opening some pits in lancs, cos theres still plenty of coal in em, will be interesting to see how/if that develops, have me doubts personally, but think it would be great, warmer homes, extra jobs, etc, mind that would never do,would it?
May well become viable with the increasing wholesale cost of energy. However I would rather we invest in cleaner energy sources which don't contribute to global warming. Rising water levels and enlarging deserts could lead to a lot of housing displacement and starvation in the future.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:04   #94
God Member

The coal fired stations being considered have a system to capture their emissions for underground storage - safer than nuclear waste storage

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:48   #95
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
May well become viable with the increasing wholesale cost of energy. However I would rather we invest in cleaner energy sources which don't contribute to global warming. Rising water levels and enlarging deserts could lead to a lot of housing displacement and starvation in the future.
Its OK mate, Baxenden is pretty high above sea level, we will be OK

there are plenty of examples of housing on stilts/pontoons etc around the world, flooding does not necessarily displace the housing, only the way we currently build them.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Old 06-08-2008, 11:49   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The coal fired stations being considered have a system to capture their emissions for underground storage - safer than nuclear waste storage
That's good then. Coal will still run out though, we need a better alternative. Nuclear is one of them. Nuclear waste amounts are tiny for the amount of energy they generate.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:50   #97
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Its OK mate, Baxenden is pretty high above sea level, we will be OK

there are plenty of examples of housing on stilts/pontoons etc around the world, flooding does not necessarily displace the housing, only the way we currently build them.
I was thinking about people in mudhuts in other countries.
Old 07-08-2008, 17:19   #98
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I was thinking about people in mudhuts in other countries.
The more water - the more mud -the more huts - solved.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 18:29   #99
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What about coke? No ... not the peruvian marching powder, the stuff you get from burning coal in coke ovens? I remember we burnt coke after the clean air acts; worked great.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 18:32   #100
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
extra smog, decent sunsets, etc

seriously though, if you have a fireplace, there is loads of places to get free wood, why not go back to burning it?
Are there not harmful emissions from burning wood? And there is not much wood in England when you think about it. Is there any geothermal potential? There is probably enough hot air generated in Westminster to heat the whole country
Old 07-08-2008, 19:24   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Explain......................
Without going to google, just off the top of my head, I believe that natural gas "sits" on top of the oil .... back in the old days (my youth) they used to burn the gas off before pumping the oil. Nowadays the gas is piped off and is used to heat homes etc. Like oil,it is a non-renewable resource. Fortunately, in Canada, we have lots of it. and we export to the US.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:54   #102
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Thats the stuff i use in my car.

They still burn off about 70% as we don't have a use for it all
Old 13-08-2008, 22:47   #103
God Member

I hear a few people suggesting windfall taxes or higher taxes for energy companies. Obama wants to do it in the US.

It might be popular with the public, to attack those nasty rich shareholders and energy companies, but its the public who get hit in the long run. Energy companies already get taxed a massive amount. To increase supply, to meet demand, and lower prices, energy companies have to drill for more oil. Currently fields are only around 10/20% used and it costs a fortune to drill further. It is often a very, very risky investment to search for oil and dig in new places. These places often don't give a return on the investment.

If we windfall tax these companies, who exactly is going to have the money to search for new supply or spend more drilling deeper? Supply will drop, and prices will increase. The taxed money will only be wasted by our government anyway. Who loses out?

For those who are going to suggest nationalisation. That's where the problem lies, 90% of oil produced is by nationalised companies bumping up prices through inefficiency and bureaucracy.

We need to start looking more seriously at lowering our energy consumption, as this problem is not going to go away. Perhaps with government nudging through massive reductions in taxation on energy saving goods.
Old 13-08-2008, 23:11   #104
God Member

Quote:

For those who are going to suggest nationalisation. That's where the problem lies, 90% of oil produced is by nationalised companies bumping up prices through inefficiency and bureaucracy.

We need to start looking more seriously at lowering our energy consumption, as this problem is not going to go away. Perhaps with government nudging through massive reductions in taxation on energy saving goods.
Try telling that to old aged pensioners and poor families who already suffer in winter because they have to almost freeze before they turn the heating on... I don't believe in any windfall taxes.. but I do believe that a buy back..or even a forced nationalisation of basic public services would be good, but is there a political party that has the guts to do it?

When these sevices..water, electricity, gas were sold off to all comers..the big lie was that they would be owned by the public..or was it "Sid".. it amounted to selling the public something they already owned!...I agree that we have no choice left but nuclear power.. but we still had/have enough coal to last for decades but the then Tory Government felt the best way forward was to shut down the mines..not for care of global warming, but because they wanted to smash the communities they saw as "militant"
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 23:17   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I hear a few people suggesting windfall taxes or higher taxes for energy companies. Obama wants to do it in the US.

It might be popular with the public, to attack those nasty rich shareholders and energy companies, but its the public who get hit in the long run. Energy companies already get taxed a massive amount. To increase supply, to meet demand, and lower prices, energy companies have to drill for more oil. Currently fields are only around 10/20% used and it costs a fortune to drill further. It is often a very, very risky investment to search for oil and dig in new places. These places often don't give a return on the investment.

If we windfall tax these companies, who exactly is going to have the money to search for new supply or spend more drilling deeper? Supply will drop, and prices will increase. The taxed money will only be wasted by our government anyway. Who loses out?

And as usual you are right.What we really need is a government That works out what we need.dresses us all the same and shoots people that want to improve themselves.Then and only then can they go out and buy Football Clubs.We Are All Equal!!!!OK
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..