Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2008, 08:59   #46
God Member

Re: Ouch ! 35% price hike from British Gas

The problem I see with reversing it is people don't want higher taxes. They're hurting enough. A big bureaucratic, inefficient, state monopoly with no competition, no reason to improve prices, no reason to improve services is not something I want.

80% tax on petrol, pensions wrecked, alcohol tax, cigarette tax, increased car tax, abolition of 10p rate, doubling low income workers tax, more car tax, a retrospective one hitting those who can't afford to pay for a new car the hardest. Yes, people are going to struggle to pay gas prices.
Old 31-07-2008, 09:04   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
The problem I see with reversing it is people don't want higher taxes. They're hurting enough. A big bureaucratic, inefficient, state monopoly with no competition, no reason to improve prices, no reason to improve services is not something I want.

80% tax on petrol, pensions wrecked, alcohol tax, cigarette tax, increased car tax, abolition of 10p rate, doubling low income workers tax, more car tax, a retrospective one hitting those who can't afford to pay for a new car the hardest. Yes, people are going to struggle to pay gas prices.
yep..takes me back to the good old day's...we had 18yrs of it under "your lot"
Plus almost 4 million unemployed
riots at the drop of a hat
poll tax
a strike that killed off whole towns and communities
V.A.T increases

loved it!

Last edited by Mancie; 31-07-2008 at 09:07.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 09:04   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

got a summer job fer ya - selling rose tinted spectacles.
Old 31-07-2008, 09:19   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
got a summer job fer ya - selling rose tinted spectacles.
I'll have to decline, I'd ruin your business. I can't see nothing pleasant about Gordon Brown. Nothing, absolutely nothing is being done to help the lowest income workers in this country, quite the opposite, they're being punished. Labour have failed . Its time for a change.
Old 31-07-2008, 09:27   #50
God Member

This offer might run out soon so have a look while its still available.

The prices are fixed until September 2009 which should save you money due to the current round of rises and additional predicted rises in January. Go compare with what you're paying now!

Fixed Price Energy 2009

Last edited by andrewb; 31-07-2008 at 09:30.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 09:55   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I'll have to decline, I'd ruin your business.
aint been my business fer many years cyfr, i'm more consistent- i hate em all.
Old 31-07-2008, 10:05   #52
God Member

This has to be one of the most depressing threads ever...I mean no one can win.. it's all gone tits up and looks like it will last along time..oh woe am I !
Old 31-07-2008, 10:31   #53

the thing that really worries me is who will speak on behalf of the poorest in society, they have no one to be there advocate, the more well off can speak for themselves. apart from "the postman" i dont think there is anyone in the cabinet who has had a real job, they have never had to worry about paying a gas bill, (we pay their constituancy bills) our own MP is conspicuous by his silence, NEW LABOUR has got into bed with the money mad big business class. they have been mesmerised by wealth and now supp with the devil. we need a party that can speak for the many not the few, labour is a busted flush, forever trying to out tory the tories. quite frankly they make me want to vomit.
den the menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 10:33   #54
God Member

fair play to den..thumbs up mate!
Old 31-07-2008, 10:34   #55

would love to see Good old Gordy try and live off the dole lol
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 10:34   #56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by den the menace View Post
NEW LABOUR has got into bed with the money mad big business class. they have been mesmerised by wealth and now supp with the devil. we need a party that can speak for the many not the few, labour is a busted flush, forever trying to out tory the tories. quite frankly they make me want to vomit.
Hit the nail right on the head, Den. And before you start, Mancie, I think the Tories are just bad. That's why I vote Loony these days. We're doomed I tell you, doomed!!
Old 31-07-2008, 11:57   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by den the menace View Post
NEW LABOUR has got into bed with the money mad big business class. they have been mesmerised by wealth and now supp with the devil.
Is it any surprise? How else were they ever going to get elected and re-elected two more times?

So many people crow about fairness and equality for all, with consideration for the poorest sections of society, but nobody is willing to make sacrifices for such a place. In 1992 Kinnock was odds-on to become the next PM and people said that they didn't mind a higher rate of income tax if that extra money would was spent on the NHS, etc. Everyone said it before the election, but the same people all voted for the 'tax cutting' Tories when it came down to the wire.

This is the kind of society and political system that has been created for us, and we've all played our part in feeding this beast!
Old 31-07-2008, 12:28   #58
God Member

Yes Tin Monkey..and we have a government that has lost it's soul over the last 4-5 years..we have to accept another 2 years of it..no scope.no ideas..and then we will be slam dunked with David Cameron.the new Etonion's answer to Jimmy krankie ..god help us!
Old 31-07-2008, 13:02   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Is it any surprise? How else were they ever going to get elected and re-elected two more times?

So many people crow about fairness and equality for all, with consideration for the poorest sections of society, but nobody is willing to make sacrifices for such a place.

This is the kind of society and political system that has been created for us, and we've all played our part in feeding this beast!
like ive said countless times, WHY have we got to this? never any response from certain sections is there?
Old 31-07-2008, 13:09   #60
Super Moderator

"There is no such thing as society."...remember?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..