Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2005, 17:48   #61
g78

Re: Pakdasht justice?

But can answering death with death truly be justified ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganRed
The answer to your quandry is rather simple. Punishment is established to place a value, if you will, on the crime. For example, if you wish to exceed the speed limit, it will cost you "X" amount of money. Capital punishment simply takes the value with which you hold your own existence and places it on those around you. If you do not want to lose your life, you will not take mine.
Old 17-03-2005, 17:53   #62
Give, give, give member

Oh l forgot homophobic, regarding theatre comments about lesbos in another thread.

Sticks and stones.....
l might quite like the pain.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 17:55   #63
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
I believe we should hang a bleeding- heart do-gooder alongside whoever is the guilty party, on the basis that if society is to blame (as they claim) then they can pay the price , too.
Didn't the Romans have a system where-by if you defended some-one that is guilty of a crime then you could suffer the same punishment? (Introduce that one & there will soon be a lot less application forms for legal aid going in).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 17:57   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by g78

In my opinion, yes. For any punishment to be effective, it must be severe enough to be a deterrent to the crime. If we, as members of the "civilized" world, are going to pride ourselves in the high regard with which we hold the sanctity of human life and the rights inherent to that life we must make the price for destroying that life so terrible that no one would willingly and carelessly do so.

MichiganRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 18:10   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Didn't the Romans have a system where-by if you defended some-one that is guilty of a crime then you could suffer the same punishment?.
Not sure about that Less, but I do know that prosecutors who lost a case were branded on the forehead for being false accusors.
Old 17-03-2005, 18:14   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Not sure about that Less, but I do know that prosecutors who lost a case were branded on the forehead for being false accusors.
I know they also had a system where if you gave false evidence then the punishment was castration. I believe that is where the term testify comes from (you swore to tell the truth on the family jewels rather than to a God).
Old 17-03-2005, 18:22   #67
God Member

Etymology: 14c: from Latin testificari, from testis witness.
Old 17-03-2005, 19:55   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganRed
[/font]
In my opinion, yes. For any punishment to be effective, it must be severe enough to be a deterrent to the crime. If we, as members of the "civilized" world, are going to pride ourselves in the high regard with which we hold the sanctity of human life and the rights inherent to that life we must make the price for destroying that life so terrible that no one would willingly and carelessly do so.
I fully agree. If you are willing to break societys "rules" and take a life, then you have no place and no rights in that society. If you want to be treated like a civilised human being, then you must act like one.
Old 17-03-2005, 21:02   #69
Senior Member+

I personally think that Michigan Red put it so succintly that there needs to be no further debate on this.Wouldn't it be great if those in power actually saw this!
Old 17-03-2005, 21:14   #70
I am Banned

the way i see it the only thing stopping a pervert raping a child is the fear of having to be locked in a prison with cable tv , free food and councilors who tell them it wasnt their fault but societys

now that would scare the crap out of me life would be unbareable ime surprised people dare commit crimes when faced with such severe punishment
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2005, 21:27   #71
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pixie
Grisly end for a pervert Flogged ... killer lashed 100 times
FULL NEWS INDEX
A SERIAL killer is flogged before being hanged in front of a cheering crowd of 3,000 Iranians yesterday.

Mohammad Bijeh raped and murdered 21 people, mainly boys.

He evaded cops for two years because he targeted kids of illegal Afghan refugees, too afraid to report them missing.

Bijeh was lashed 100 times before the brother of a victim stabbed him in the back.

The mum of another slapped Bijeh before putting the noose around his neck. He was then hanged in Pakdasht’s main square.

Barbaric...yes - but at least he's no danger to anyone else now. I just found this so unbelievable, especially when you comapre with our softly softly approach in the UK.
What do others think?
it wont catch on in the arndale.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 13:47   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by g78
Ghandi said "An eye for an eye makes us all blind"

I'd like to suggest a middle ground though. Those found guilty could be given a life/death sentence with a maximum time (say 3yrs) in which to make their appeals. After that the sentence is carried out - no questions. This would be carried out in private with no public audience.

Also I would limit amount they could get for legal aid. If they wanted more they'd have to get some "bleeding heart liberal" to back them.
Old 18-03-2005, 13:49   #73
Senior Member+

Would they have to wear the advertising in court, much like today's sports people?

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2005, 13:52   #74
God Member

I disagree there Alice, I think Justice should not only be done, but be seen to be done, otherwise you lessen it's deterrent effect.

I do agree with a limit on the time and funding allowed for appeals though.
Old 18-03-2005, 13:55   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
Would they have to wear the advertising in court, much like today's sports people?
Knowing my luck I would end up sponsored by a tobacco company & have something along the lines of this added:-

Remember smoking & murder can seriously shorten your life!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..