Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2010, 09:38   #46
Common Sense Member

Re: reasons to hate the tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Back on its arse, where the hell have you been for the last two years, we've never been of our arse
Maybe not in rude health but at least fighting to keep unemployment under control. The Armed Forces' death of 47,000 cuts yesterday was only the start, I fear.

My main concern in a political role has to be Hyndburn and the potential impacts of today worry me. Frontline services in the borough are already taking a beating yet the power-that-be are preserving the administration team at all costs and throwing money away on fruitless ventures such as promoting Wednesdays in the Market Hall.

We need a country that is working hard in actual jobs, not creating more non-jobs and middle men that don't really contribute anything.

Police, armed forces, the BBC, binmen - all suffering real cuts.

The flabby old bureaucratic machine that is the civil service will be able to state on paper that 25% reductions have been made with barely any effort. The sole purpose of it is to make the figures add up, all you do is stop classifying certain roles as civil servants and there you have it.

We're going to have to agree to differ on this because I cannot see much that is good in the Tory spending model, either nationally or locally.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-10-2010, 09:56   #47
JCB

Spending cuts seem to be part and parcel of our economic system .

In the late 1970s we had massive spending cuts , demanded by the IMF , under the Callaghan Labour government .

In the 1980s we had massive spending cuts under the Thatcher Conservative government .

Now we are going to have massive spending cuts under the Cameron/Clegg Con/Lib-Dem government .

History repeats itself , and will continue to do so because the Lab/Con/Lib-Dem establishment is wedded to the same economic system .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 10:04   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
We need a country that is working hard in actual jobs, not creating more non-jobs and middle men that don't really contribute anything.
So why the hell did Blair and Brown create 800,000 civil servants, take a look at the Guardian Jobs page which is crammed with as you put it None-Jobs, We are now overrun by out-reach workers coordinators and other weird and wonder jobs thought up by Labour, probable using the ethos if they work for us they vote for us

Last edited by Neil; 20-10-2010 at 12:21. Reason: fix quote
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 10:14   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Spending cuts seem to be part and parcel of our economic system .

In the late 1970s we had massive spending cuts , demanded by the IMF , under the Callaghan Labour government .

In the 1980s we had massive spending cuts under the Thatcher Conservative government .

Now we are going to have massive spending cuts under the Cameron/Clegg Con/Lib-Dem government .

History repeats itself , and will continue to do so because the Lab/Con/Lib-Dem establishment is wedded to the same economic system .
Boom and bust.

Although we can't blame the last government for the subprime mortgage fiasco, and the resulting worldwide financial crash, although anyone with any sense could see that that lending stategy would end in tears, we can apportion blame on a government who, because they knew they'd lost the election, set out on a schorched earth spending policy. As was sadly examplified by Labour's out going Chief Secretary of the Treasury Liam Byrne's note, stating 'There's no money left'.

New Labour did make some historical change for the better, but when it came to economics they verged on the imbecilic.

If a household was run like the country's economy was managed by Labour, we'd now be pushing our worldly goods through the streets in an old pram.

Sadly the cuts are a bitter pill we'd better get used to swallowing.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 10:18   #50
Common Sense Member

Quote:
So why the hell did Blair and Brown create 800,000 civil servants, take a look at the Guardian Jobs page which is crammed with as you put it None-Jobs, We are now overrun by out-reach workers coordinators and other weird and wonder jobs thought up by Labour, probable using the ethos if they work for us they vote for us
I can't defend that because you're right and current governments should learn from the past in order to avoid the same mistakes but pointing the finger and saying 'Labour has forced this on us' won't make Osborne's pill any less bitter. Make decisions that are good for today instead of saying that the old landlord has made this necessary. All governments are guilty of saying the same thing but it is very lazy politics when that's the best answer you can come up with. Peter Britcliffe is guilty of the same rhetoric but it reduces credibility when the same party is in control at local, county and national levels.

That's getting off the point. To my mind, George Osborne is simply going about things in too harsh a way and in the wrong directions.

We'll see what today brings.

Last edited by Neil; 20-10-2010 at 12:22. Reason: Fix quote
Old 20-10-2010, 10:24   #51
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Boom and bust.

Although we can't blame the last government for the subprime mortgage fiasco, and the resulting worldwide financial crash, although anyone with any sense could see that that lending stategy would end in tears, we can apportion blame on a government who, because they knew they'd lost the election, set out on a schorched earth spending policy. As was sadly examplified by Labour's out going Chief Secretary of the Treasury Liam Byrne's note, stating 'There's no money left'.
That's my fear for Hyndburn and no one is listening.

At the moment we have sufficient money which could be better spent.

Peter Britcliffe knows full well there is a reasonable possibility that he is in his final term as Leader of the Council and is writing cheques left, right and centre. I wouldn't be surprised if Baxenden gets a few well-publicised windfalls in The Observer in the new two or three weeks, just prior to the bye-election on 18th November...

Hyndburn is OK for now, but we won't be if this continues up until next May.

Old 20-10-2010, 10:24   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I can't defend that because you're right and current governments should learn from the past in order to avoid the same mistakes but pointing the finger and saying 'Labour has forced this on us' won't make Osborne's pill any less bitter. Make decisions that are good for today instead of saying that the old landlord has made this necessary. All governments are guilty of saying the same thing but it is very lazy politics when that's the best answer you can come up with. Peter Britcliffe is guilty of the same rhetoric but it reduces credibility when the same party is in control at local, county and national levels.

That's getting off the point. To my mind, George Osborne is simply going about things in too harsh a way and in the wrong directions.

We'll see what today brings.
Any direction must be better than we were left with, and you have to remember the outgoing Labour government, when it knew it was on its death bed started throw cash about like there was no tomorrow knowing full well what would happen, I wouldn't care but now they have put an utter concom it charge of their fiscal policies, you couldnt make it up if you tried,

Last edited by Neil; 20-10-2010 at 12:23. Reason: fixed quote
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 10:29   #53
Give, give, give member

Quote:
That's my fear for Hyndburn and no one is listening.

At the moment we have sufficient money which could be better spent.

Peter Britcliffe knows full well there is a reasonable possibility that he is in his final term as Leader of the Council and is writing cheques left, right and centre. I wouldn't be surprised if Baxenden gets a few well-publicised windfalls in The Observer in the new two or three weeks, just prior to the bye-election on 18th November...

Hyndburn is OK for now, but we won't be if this continues up until next May.
There is a very worrying comparisson.

Happily we have the magical Singing, Ringing Tree, standing a' top of the Coppice.

Which happily has money growing off it's branches.

Thus no tax payers' money is being wasted on stupid, and daft schemes here in Hyndburn.

Old 20-10-2010, 10:34   #54
Give, give, give member

There is an upside to the draconian Tory cuts.

It makes me feel like a teenager again.

Old 20-10-2010, 10:43   #55
Common Sense Member

Quote:
There is a very worrying comparisson.

Happily we have the magical Singing, Ringing Tree, standing a' top of the Coppice.

Which happily has money growing off it's branches.

Thus no tax payers' money is being wasted on stupid, and daft schemes here in Hyndburn.

We're just investigating the costs of Martin-Platt-off-of-Coronation-Street and Kenny Baker for the Market Hall. From the looks of things several of the traders have closed today in an act of solidarity because it's dead.

After finding out what their takings were last Wednesday I'm not surprised, it is financial suicide to stay open.

Last edited by Ken Moss; 20-10-2010 at 10:45. Reason: Spelling error...tsk.
Old 20-10-2010, 10:51   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
We're just investigating the costs of Martin-Platt-off-of-Coronation-Street and Kenny Baker for the Market Hall. From the looks of things several of the traders have closed today in an act of solidarity because it's dead.

After finding out what their takings were last Wednesday I'm not surprised, it is financial suicide to stay open.
Is the upstairs caf closed, in solidarity?

Old 20-10-2010, 10:53   #57
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Apparently not. The dust motes have to be given chance to settle somewhere.

Old 20-10-2010, 11:00   #58
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Any direction must be better than we were left with, and you have to remember the outgoing Labour government, when it knew it was on its death bed started throw cash about like there was no tomorrow knowing full well what would happen, I wouldn't care but now they have put an utter concom it charge of their fiscal policies, you couldnt make it up if you tried,
I'm sorry to make the comparison with what's happening in Hyndburn, but....

Would you care to put up a case for the defence, preferably without referring to a Labour administration cocking things up? We had one year of 'power' in 2004 and balanced the books and yet now we're in debt again.

13 years of Labour rule, let's get that out of the way for starters. Now, what else?

Old 20-10-2010, 11:02   #59
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I'd heard this rumour, (while I was talking to myself in the bathroom), that the entrance to the café is under seige from protesting accywebbers demanding an apology for unfair use of the site.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 11:09   #60
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'd heard this rumour, (while I was talking to myself in the bathroom), that the entrance to the café is under seige from protesting accywebbers demanding an apology for unfair use of the site.
Then they all want to get themselves a quick frothy coffee from Daddy's Little Soldier and calm down.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..