Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2010, 08:59   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: reasons to hate the tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

Still, we can always blame 13 years of Labour government, that'll help.
And you will be 100% right for a change
Old 21-10-2010, 09:00   #92
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So perhaps you could explain, Andrew, why the government are increasing the overseas aid budget by 37%? We all have to tighten our belts, while we give money to India - a country rich enough to fund its own space programme? Yeah, that makes sense.

'Looking at the figures I discover that, over the last five years for which data are available, Britain has given £8.7 million in development aid to Singapore, whose gross domestic product per capita is the fourth highest in the world, and 46 per cent higher than our own.'

'Over the same period, other recipients of British development aid have included Slovenia, Malta, the Czech Republic and Hungary, all highly developed First World countries, fellow members of the EU, and two of whom are even in the euro. In the last year for which figures are available, Britain also gave £380,000 in aid to the enormously wealthy oil sheikhdom of Saudi Arabia.'
Did Britain really need to give millions to the wealthy state of Singapore? - Telegraph

So as well as giving overseas aid to shockingly wealthy countries, and plan to give 37% more, whilst we suffer drastic cuts to services in the UK, we also send funds to countries with appalling records when it comes to human rights abuses, such as the enormously rich Saudi Arabia?

The whole thing would be comically farcical, if it wasn't so sick.

Last edited by garinda; 21-10-2010 at 09:03.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 09:03   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So perhaps you could explain, Andrew, why the government are increasing the overseas aid budget by 37%? We all have to tighten our belts, while we give money to India - a country rich enough to fund its own space programme? Yeah, that makes sense.
For me Wyn that's the only thing that has been left alone that should definitely be cut, I know the reason, even in these times virtually nobody is cutting foreign aid, but like you I feel that aid begins at home especially with the mess this country has been left in
Old 21-10-2010, 09:07   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
That's another problem were going to inherit. Somehow I think I've seen this film before.Local Government has come out if this spending review very badly. Soft target for the Government.
And my problem is if you do take control your one of the people who'll be running Hyndburn, maybe you should go incognito and change your name by deed pole to Robert Owen
Old 21-10-2010, 09:07   #95
Give, give, give member

Britain also gave £380,000 to the enormously wealthy oil sheikdom of Saudi Arabia.

(For anyone who can't believe their eyes, and who might require a larger text.)

Old 21-10-2010, 09:12   #96
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Britain also gave £380,000 to the enormously wealthy oil sheikdom of Saudi Arabia.

(For anyone who can't believe their eyes, and who might require a larger text.)
Mind you, fair's fair.

A lot of the mad Mullahs, who preach hatred in British mosques, receive funding from the Saudis, so perhaps it's only right we give something back.

Old 21-10-2010, 09:16   #97
Common Sense Member

George Osborne hinted yesterday that the 37% increase was a mandatory requirement from Europe.

It's time to reappraise this European Ideal and start looking after our own. Not exactly the official party line but it really is time for a bit of common sense here when sending money to rich countries is immune from cuts and frontline home services who look after us are being trimmed back.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 09:28   #98
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
George Osborne hinted yesterday that the 37% increase was a mandatory requirement from Europe.

It's time to reappraise this European Ideal and start looking after our own. Not exactly the official party line but it really is time for a bit of common sense here when sending money to rich countries is immune from cuts and frontline home services who look after us are being trimmed back.
Forget reppraisal.

It's time for a referendum.

The last, in 1975, asked if we wanted continued membership of an economic union. Not if we wanted to be part of a United States of Europe, and ruled by laws passed in Brussels.

Old 21-10-2010, 09:42   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Forget reppraisal.

It's time for a referendum.

The last, in 1975, asked if we wanted continued membership of an economic union. Not if we wanted to be part of a United States of Europe, and ruled by laws passed in Brussels.
It appears your wishes could become reality both Merkel and Sarkozy want to rewrite the constitution, probably because something doesn't suit there own needs
Old 21-10-2010, 10:56   #100
Super Moderator

At the same time that we were receiving the bad news about the cuts, the EU was voting through a 6% increase in its own budget.

British payments to EU set to rise £900m next year - Telegraph

Reasons to hate the Tories?...reasons to hate the Tories, Labour and the LibDems.
Old 21-10-2010, 11:04   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Absolute rubbish , the Baath party under Saddam Hussien was secular , much like Nassar in Eygpt, Assad in Syria and Ataturk 40 years earlier, all who did their best to rid their countries of the Mullahs influence , and bring their countries into the 20th century.
Al Queda/Taliban was a creation of the US (Ronald Reagan) and Saudi Arabia to fight the Russians in Afghanistan to stop them moving further south thru Balucistan and gain a warm water port near the entrance to the Gulf. A bad geo-political move which turned out to bite the hand that fed it , do you honestly belive 9/11 would have ever happened if the Russians had been allowed to stay in Afghanistan .
Point number 2 , who do you think backed Saddam Hussien during the Iran Iraq war , we did the west ... why ? because he was fighting against the Islamic fundamentalists (Mullahs) who run Teheran .
you just proved me right there al queada/taliban have always been about and arent secular with the money and power they have now they would have started a civil war one word shiites
Old 21-10-2010, 11:07   #102
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
For me Wyn that's the only thing that has been left alone that should definitely be cut, I know the reason, even in these times virtually nobody is cutting foreign aid, but like you I feel that aid begins at home especially with the mess this country has been left in
this countries been in a mess since thatcher labour were helping to turn the corner when a WORLWIDE recession came i repeat a worldwide
Old 21-10-2010, 11:18   #103
God Member

just to add thatll be royal mail privatised will be at least a pound for a stamp in a years time
Old 21-10-2010, 12:11   #104
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
What you're saying is a lot more pain but over a longer time. We're already paying £120 million a day in interest payments. The scale of the debt is colossal and it's only going to get worse if we don't start reducing our deficit quickly.
Maybe we should just not pay the debt, wait till the bank goes bust and then not save it
Old 21-10-2010, 12:55   #105
Super Moderator

So, despite the fact that we've been subjected to swingeing cuts in practically every area of public expenditure...

1. The overseas aid budget is going up.

2. The EU budget is going up.

Perhaps a Tory would like to defend and justify both or either of these measures?

...and if they won't, perhaps some Accyweb leftwing liberal type would care to do the honours, as they all seem to be in favour of more overseas aid and the EU?

Sssshhhh...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..