Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2010, 12:21   #31

Re: reasons to hate the tories

We'll all be begging for Tony Blair's return soon....
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-10-2010, 16:46   #32
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiveuk View Post
That I very much doubt ! During the time he was in power, he took us into 2 wars on no merit whatsoever (one of them is still dragging on costing many UK families heartbreak & grief, sure they'd want him back) His triumphs ? Except for his own aggrandisement & to chum up to the Americans (At least he was planning ahead ... for himself anyway).

Then when he went skulking off leaving the petulant Gordo, in charge of the "Titanic GB" half a mile off the Iceberg, slick move & you want that back in power ??? I'll give most of the labor ministers credit because unlike TB, they stayed on board & went down with the ship, not the best of moves but credit too them.

As for those that scrambled into the lifeboats my aren't they reliable cosying up with the enemy, managing to hang onto power of sorts, yeah ! real troopers the Blairites loyal to themselves. Perhaps your New Boy can make a decent stab at it, I mean one of his first comments was to turn on Blairs policies, perhaps there's hope for the Lad yet, let's see eh ?

As to the New crowd, 5 Months in ... not exactly sparkling, they're neither fish nor fowl, lots of back peddling going on, but hey when you jump into bed with strangers, expect some tussling & compromise. They keep making noises but as yet no solid actions still it's only 5 Month as stated, I think judgement should at least be reserved until all the cards are on the table & implementation takes place then let's look again say in 12/18 Month. Don't forget this isn't an out & out Tory Government IT IS A CO-ALITION, libdems & Labor help bulk out the ranks!

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 19-10-2010 at 16:50. Reason: Addittion
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 17:16   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Bring him on.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 17:36   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'd sooner have bleeding piles
Old 20-10-2010, 00:45   #35
God Member

We will soon see how much this Tory-Con Demolition botch up mob care about the future of this country when they destroy our defence forces.. all of a sudden we don't need soldiers, pilots, or the Navy.. we need cyber experts to defend us.. it's a cop out .. and the myth that the Tories have ever made any attempt to make good the defence of this country has been blown to bits!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 06:14   #36
Common Sense Member

Whilst I agree that some thinning out of dead wood is required across the country, my wife and I sat truly shocked through the news reports last night.

The cuts that are being made are far too harsh and far too fast, we're in serious danger of a double-dip recession. The privatisations are starting already and I'm put very much in mind of the Conservative government of the 1980s. Workers are being laid off in great swathes, how is this helping the people of Great Britain?

I'm sure Jaysay and Andrewb will have something to say about the previous Labour administration as a case for the defence.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 06:50   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Whilst I agree that some thinning out of dead wood is required across the country, my wife and I sat truly shocked through the news reports last night.

The cuts that are being made are far too harsh and far too fast, we're in serious danger of a double-dip recession. The privatisations are starting already and I'm put very much in mind of the Conservative government of the 1980s. Workers are being laid off in great swathes, how is this helping the people of Great Britain?

I'm sure Jaysay and Andrewb will have something to say about the previous Labour administration as a case for the defence.
Well I would point out that the cuts are 1% more per year than Labour had planned to make had they won the election.
Old 20-10-2010, 07:03   #38
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Well I would point out that the cuts are 1% more per year than Labour had planned to make had they won the election.
Maybe so, but slow and steady is better than knee-jerk reactionary tactics that are likely to bring the edifice crashing down. The cuts are generally in the right areas but they're incredibly harsh and are going to damage the whole country because they're not being very well thought through.

I really am not looking forward to today's announcements.

Old 20-10-2010, 07:21   #39
God Member

Quote:

Neither am I. The alternative though is more pain but over a slightly longer time. I'd rather the Government spend money on educating our children than paying billions of pounds in interest to bankers over a longer period. Slower cuts mean more pain over a longer period resulting in growing debt.

The country already has quite enough debt and if business and markets don't think we have a credible plan to deal with it quickly, yes the country would be hugely damaged.
Old 20-10-2010, 07:28   #40
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Neither am I. The alternative though is more pain but over a slightly longer time. I'd rather the Government spend money on educating our children than paying billions of pounds in interest to bankers over a longer period. Slower cuts mean more pain over a longer period resulting in growing debt.

The country already has quite enough debt and if business and markets don't think we have a credible plan to deal with it quickly, yes the country would be hugely damaged.
The point is that the Tories, the ones pulling the strings despite all this facade of a coalition, are punishing the country in a terrible way for what the banks have done to us so they can give the banks even more of our money. The recursive logic could only possibly have come from a party filled with rich men who have no idea what the 'breadline' is.

A nationalised bank would be the answer. How many people would transfer their savings to a 100% secure Bank of England which helps the country at the same time?

Don't come back at me with any of Labour's mistakes, I'm fully aware of what they were, but making even bigger ones is not the answer.

Make cuts by all means but just slow down a bit, Gideon.

Old 20-10-2010, 08:13   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'd sooner have bleeding piles
Isn't that what he earned from his auto biography?
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 08:48   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Maybe so, but slow and steady is better than knee-jerk reactionary tactics that are likely to bring the edifice crashing down. The cuts are generally in the right areas but they're incredibly harsh and are going to damage the whole country because they're not being very well thought through.

We really do have to look at the chap Labour have entrusted to put forward their alternative, step forward one Alan Johnson who, by his own admissions said he knew nothing about economics, from all accounts he wasn't to good at putting letters through letter boxes even, so was made a Union Leader
Old 20-10-2010, 08:56   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The point is that the Tories, the ones pulling the strings despite all this facade of a coalition, are punishing the country in a terrible way for what the banks have done to us so they can give the banks even more of our money. The recursive logic could only possibly have come from a party filled with rich men who have no idea what the 'breadline' is.

A nationalised bank would be the answer. How many people would transfer their savings to a 100% secure Bank of England which helps the country at the same time?

Don't come back at me with any of Labour's mistakes, I'm fully aware of what they were, but making even bigger ones is not the answer.

Make cuts by all means but just slow down a bit, Gideon.
We are currently paying £44 billion each year in interest alone, which is more than we spend on defence, this can't go one. The IMF have gone on record saying the GB have the best plans in place to put Britain back on a sound financial footing, better than any other G20 countries, so sorry if I take what they say to be right as opposed to a chap who is clueless on economics.
Old 20-10-2010, 09:09   #44
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
We are currently paying £44 billion each year in interest alone, which is more than we spend on defence, this can't go one. The IMF have gone on record saying the GB have the best plans in place to put Britain back on a sound financial footing, better than any other G20 countries, so sorry if I take what they say to be right as opposed to a chap who is clueless on economics.
Yet other economists are saying it is too much too soon, with Scotland even wondering whether it can afford to be part of the Union anymore.

Cuts need to be made, I'm not disagreeing John, but too quickly and the country will be back on its arse. A sound financial footing for the country is not the same as having the people who live in that country being financially sound.

GB could be completely free of debt and considered to be financially OK but still have half of the poor souls that live here unemployed.

Old 20-10-2010, 09:16   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yet other economists are saying it is too much too soon, with Scotland even wondering whether it can afford to be part of the Union anymore.

Cuts need to be made, I'm not disagreeing John, but too quickly and the country will be back on its arse. A sound financial footing for the country is not the same as having the people who live in that country being financially sound.

GB could be completely free of debt and considered to be financially OK but still have half of the poor souls that live here unemployed.
Back on its arse, where the hell have you been for the last two years, we've never been of our arse

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..