Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 14:55   #16
Senior Member+

Re: River Stink

Anyone recall the river as it came out from under the Car Park - you could climb down and walk along under some factories and there were massive rats running about.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2004, 16:28   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
It is actually quite remarkably clean these days, except when it has been raining hard, then it fills with mud.

When did you last have your nose near it Tealeaf?
I do not think I would use the term "remarkably clean" to describe the Stink; it has certainly improved, as I said in my original post but not to the extent that I would want to clean my teeth in it. Yes, there are some largish fish to be occaisionally seen in it, but then the Thames has salmon in it again, despite the fact it receives substancial sewage discharges in bad weather (700,000 tons on one occaision in september). I would'nt want to clean my teeth in there either.

Two weeks ago today I walked over the bridge at Church, next to the Sports Centre and there was a horrible looking discharge entering the river from the outlet just the other side of the bridge. I only noticed it because I smelt it. It did'nt look to nice, either.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 17:59   #18
land of hope and glory

that will be the waste water from the swimming baths t-leaf wouldnt want to brush my teeth in there either!!!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 13:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx
Anyone recall the river as it came out from under the Car Park - you could climb down and walk along under some factories and there were massive rats running about.
This is probably the part which ran at the back of Croft St.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 14:21   #20
Resident Waffler

Can you help me with the location of this Croft Street in relation to what is there now?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 18:47   #21
Full Member+

Red face Re: River Stink

Willow, if you stand on the corner of the Aldi carpark nearest the petrol station, with the river on your left then thats Croft Street. You would be looking towards Bradleys Transport garage with Conveyer and Elevators works and I think a tripe/black pudding making place on your left against the river. God the whole of Bull Bridge/Milnshaw Lane/Hyndburn Road has changed since I was a kid...and I`m only 42!!
Old 02-12-2004, 21:56   #22
Resident Waffler

Thanks Uncle Mick.

I remember some of the way that area used to look, the Ambulance Drill Hall, Ken Clegg's TV shop, a blacksmith, The Australian.

Old 02-12-2004, 23:15   #23
Senior Member+

Is that river in the picture at the top part of the Stink?
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:33   #24
Resident Waffler

That looks more like the canal to me.

Old 03-12-2004, 08:00   #25
Senior Member+

I only asked because I'm not familiar with your part of the world
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:29   #26
Resident Waffler

If I had time today I'd take a photo of the river for you but it's going to be a bit of a hectic day.

Finding the river could be quite a challenge for anyone who doesn't know the town. You'd even be forgiven for thinking we didn't have one. Most of it is underground. I can understand why it was better off hidden in the olden days when it did indeed stink but I think we should make more of a feature of it now and open up the areas where it is still visible - turn it into an attraction.

As for the canal. It doesn't actually come through Accrington but it features in parts of Hyndburn such as Clayton le Moors, Church, Rishton and there are some very pleasant walks along its bank these days. At one time it was full of rubbish and the towpaths were in a right old state but it has been cleaned up a lot. When I worked in Clayton and in Rishton I enjoyed a stroll by the canal in my lunch hour.

Old 03-12-2004, 10:41   #27
Senior Member+

River Stink

Hi, two old photos showing the Croft Street area of town. Sorry about quality. This might help people to remember the area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg milnshaw.JPG (42.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg milnshaw1.JPG (38.3 KB, 52 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:48   #28
Resident Waffler

Thanks Atarah. That helps me try to visualise it all much better.

Old 03-12-2004, 10:58   #29
Resting in Peace

how is this hehe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CULVERT 2.jpg (63.6 KB, 44 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:02   #30

At last Atarah. Somewhere I recognise. That's the street that leads up to the clock garage. That's the st. where I mentioned in another post we used to come down on our billy carts. Milneshaw st. I had forgotten but now rings like bell. What a ripper. Now all that is familiar territory.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..