Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 16:38   #61

Re: River Stink

River stink brings back loads of memories for me. I remember when I was a kid, we used to play down there and on the big car park where the arndale is now! Does anybody remember. it stretched from behind Whalley Road. I think the Barbers was on whalley road (where the vets is) What was the name of that barber shop!!! right to where boots is now. The cinema was there as well
RossendaleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2006, 19:05   #62
Resting In Peace

I remember the barber on Whalley Road Red, he was called George Bentley!
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 22:03   #63
Resident Waffler

Yes I remember the big car park and the loos from outer space, and the cinema on Broadway where those shops now are.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 17:07   #64
Resting in Peace

My word this thread bringing back memories. I was born in No 28 Croft St across from the Conveyer works main entrance. With regards to Mr G Bentley he died in late 2005 and had been unwell for sometime.

Does anyone remember the OLD BOMBED building (as a kid I used to think it had been bombed in the war but it hadn't) that was on the open land behind Castle St and Milton St but it lead to the Carpark where the Oden was?

Recalling what Keith posted about paper rounds I used to do mine from the newsagent on Whalley Rd and went over much of the same patch as Keith (am 49 now) and I also went along York St York Place Lupin Rd Lancaster Av Glouster Av (before the estate that stands there was built) and Westwood St Devonshire St Atkin St etc
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 19:13   #65

It is bringing back memories, Had a few hair cuts from George Bentleys when I was younger, thanks for providing the name eric.

with regards to the bombed building was it near Burnley Road and at the end of Derby st? I remember an old factory there with smashed windows.
Old 03-02-2006, 20:32   #66

was Geogre Bently not on Abbey Street near Abbey street chip shop a bit higher up than plantation street and Terry I caught Sticklebacks in the Stink 45years ago WE PROBABLY MET ?
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 20:35   #67
Resting In Peace

The barber on Abbey Street was called George Taylor, I knew them both, Mr Taylor was a friend of my Fathers
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 20:43   #68

Sorry Ernie, called you eric, got morecambe and wise on the brain!
Old 04-02-2006, 18:36   #69

Re: Hyndburn Road for Carol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
Hope you recognise this view Carol

Atarah
thanks for the photo, is it the old tip?
carolef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 18:39   #70

Re: Hyndburn Road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
And here is another view for you

Atarah
is this taken from the fairground? (tenament) if so it looks like the gates to the gasworks. thanks for the photo
Old 05-02-2006, 19:50   #71

when we were kids we used to walk up the river stink from the back of the graveyard/gasworks and we would come out at the bull pub.it did stink and there were all kinds of things including rats around....if you were realy brave you could go the other way and that would have brought you out at milnshaw park just before the lodge but i was never that brave.. i remember that thae used to fill the graveyard with sheep/lambs and by the time i had got home from school they had gone.... to the slaughter house across the road my bedroom window overlooked the graveyard it was always such a nice sight to see them.. ive been a vegie now for 35 years i wonder if it had anything to do with it. ive never realy thought about it before.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:08   #72

Can anyone tell me if Sharn Hall was an actual hall, a building or a district. A relative was said to have lived at Sharn Hall.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 13:07   #73
Senior Member+

Something rings a bell that its a property just off Hyndburn Rd (towards Church) - just past where the new Fire Station has been built. Maybe Retlaw, as an ex fireman, can help you on this?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 15:30   #74
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Something rings a bell that its a property just off Hyndburn Rd (towards Church) - just past where the new Fire Station has been built. Maybe Retlaw, as an ex fireman, can help you on this?
Look at Shurmer's.
He tells you where it is.
Whether its still there after the building of the
new Fire Station and Lidl's etc, you will have to go and look.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 18:33   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
Can anyone tell me if Sharn Hall was an actual hall, a building or a district. A relative was said to have lived at Sharn Hall.
Are you a civil servant?You asked the same question in another thread

I can say this only once

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..