Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2010, 00:20   #91
Senior Member+

Re: River Stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Eh.

Retlaw.
The source of the River Hynburn came from Warmden Reservoirs and ran down to Broad Oak Factory's - I don't know if there was another subsidary joining it. But as it ran through the factory's chemical waste was dumped in it some smells like rotten eggs. THis is where the smell came from - I don't know about Rishton probably more was added to it as it went down the river!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-02-2010, 11:16   #92
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
The source of the River Hynburn came from Warmden Reservoirs and ran down to Broad Oak Factory's - I don't know if there was another subsidary joining it. But as it ran through the factory's chemical waste was dumped in it some smells like rotten eggs. THis is where the smell came from - I don't know about Rishton probably more was added to it as it went down the river!
The sources of the Hyndburn have already been dealt with in http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...tink-2134.html
Besides its main sources of the Warmden and Woodnook Water quite a number of small streams which are no longer visible joined those two both before and after it became the Hyndburn, there is a lot of run off under Water St, from the Coppice lodges. When the floods closed Water St, Avenue Parade and Melbourne St in the sixties, we could hear some of the culverts collapsing.
All the main polution came from Broad Oak Print Works and the Turkey Red at Baxenden, which was diverted round the factory's in Bath St and Victoria St by the big iron pipe kids play on up Priestly Clough.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 21:25   #93
Senior Member+

Quote:
The sources of the Hyndburn have already been dealt with in http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...tink-2134.html
Besides its main sources of the Warmden and Woodnook Water quite a number of small streams which are no longer visible joined those two both before and after it became the Hyndburn, there is a lot of run off under Water St, from the Coppice lodges. When the floods closed Water St, Avenue Parade and Melbourne St in the sixties, we could hear some of the culverts collapsing.
All the main polution came from Broad Oak Print Works and the Turkey Red at Baxenden, which was diverted round the factory's in Bath St and Victoria St by the big iron pipe kids play on up Priestly Clough.

Retlaw.
Cheers Retlaw...
Yes I realise that Ardenhall stream ran into it there were no trout there ever! Priestly Clough also was troutless and I never caught a fish in that poluted water. But there were plenty of trout in the Broad Oak stream and as I said I caught and ate many of them. There was also trout in the main stream that came off the moors above Oswaldtwistle that would have ended up in the Hynburn!

Eels I wonder if there are any Eels in there, there wern't any in the 70's! Also last time I was up North I noticed that the River Calder at Altham had anglers along it's banks! Back in the 70's I think the Calder was fishless! Due to industrial pollution from various sources!

Last edited by kestrelx; 17-02-2010 at 21:28.
Old 17-02-2010, 21:29   #94
God Member

My dad worked at Threebrooks mill next to Tinker Brook.
During post war rationing he often brought trout home.
He taught my son how to 'tickle' them

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 21:36   #95
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My dad worked at Threebrooks mill next to Tinker Brook.
During post war rationing he often brought trout home.
He taught my son how to 'tickle' them
I think I tickled trout only a couple of times. Mainly used rods with worms or maggots!
Old 17-02-2010, 22:08   #96
Senior Member+

My brother and I spent lots of happy hours playing on Nelson Square, Gaty and Milnshaw Parks during the early sixties. Ray used to go down every day for a game of footie.

My Nan used to shout us from the top of Holland Street would you believe and we would run home.

Happy days xx

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 22:37   #97
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Cheers Retlaw...
Yes I realise that Ardenhall stream ran into it there were no trout there ever! Priestly Clough also was troutless and I never caught a fish in that poluted water. But there were plenty of trout in the Broad Oak stream and as I said I caught and ate many of them. There was also trout in the main stream that came off the moors above Oswaldtwistle that would have ended up in the Hynburn!

Eels I wonder if there are any Eels in there, there wern't any in the 70's! Also last time I was up North I noticed that the River Calder at Altham had anglers along it's banks! Back in the 70's I think the Calder was fishless! Due to industrial pollution from various sources!
There were fish in the twin lodges behind Broad Oak factory, there was also a smaller a smaller pond which we used to catch tiddler in, we called it the breeding pond, there was all sorts of pond wild life in there, but it was dangerous, I once tried to measure the depth of it, it only appeared to be a few inches deep but I couldn't touch the bottom with a 6 ft cane.
When they started to fill the lodges in we went up and collected a gallon of frog spawn, and other creatures and tipped it in the pond in the garden, their off spring come back every year to breed. Don't know where they go during the cold weather, but by the end of March they will be coming back, always from the South, I go out every night around March with a torch looking for them, pick them up and put them in the pond, even found them on our front door step. Usually get between 20 & 30 every year.

Retlaw.
Old 17-02-2010, 22:58   #98
God Member

With all these frogs around, I'm surprised no one has ever opened a French restaurant in Accy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 01:13   #99
Senior Member+

Quote:
There were fish in the twin lodges behind Broad Oak factory, there was also a smaller a smaller pond which we used to catch tiddler in, we called it the breeding pond, there was all sorts of pond wild life in there, but it was dangerous, I once tried to measure the depth of it, it only appeared to be a few inches deep but I couldn't touch the bottom with a 6 ft cane.
When they started to fill the lodges in we went up and collected a gallon of frog spawn, and other creatures and tipped it in the pond in the garden, their off spring come back every year to breed. Don't know where they go during the cold weather, but by the end of March they will be coming back, always from the South, I go out every night around March with a torch looking for them, pick them up and put them in the pond, even found them on our front door step. Usually get between 20 & 30 every year.

Retlaw.
Yeh I remember there were various lodges around Broad Oak. There was the big one next to the sports field, I think you had to have a licence to fish on it. Then there were the two top ones either side of a road, you had to have licence for them as well, that had a few trout in but got fished out and not replaced! one of them and course fish in the others they got drained eventually in the early 80's I don't know why? But then there was a couple of really small ones between Broad Oak and Manchester Road and I remember caught a couple of big perch in there one year, big for the size of the pond. I remember sometimes the frogs came out when there was still snow on the ground up at Ardenhall lodges that was years back now. You must have a big garden to fit 30 frogs in it
Old 18-02-2010, 01:15   #100
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
With all these frogs around, I'm surprised no one has ever opened a French restaurant in Accy.
The french frogs are different species, much bigger legs. I don't know if you can eat the English Common Frog, probably illegal now as there arn't that many left. But you can eat snails...

Gather them up and put them in a sealed bucket with cabbage for about 2 days this cleans them out. You then boil in a pan simmer for a few mins and you have a lovely snail meal!
Old 18-02-2010, 07:50   #101
God Member

I thought the Frogs now got most of their frogs from India...but I can't imagine frog tikka masala on the menu, although it's supposed to taste a bit like chicken.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 18:56   #102

River Stink

I remember the river???? when it ran through Accy before the Broadway was finished. Anyone know where it came from and where it goes/went ??? Didn't half stink mind!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 20:32   #103
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
I remember the river???? when it ran through Accy before the Broadway was finished. Anyone know where it came from and where it goes/went ??? Didn't half stink mind!
Read the previous posts, the sources have been explained many times.

Retlaw.
Old 05-03-2010, 23:19   #104
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Read the previous posts, the sources have been explained many times.

Retlaw.

I moved that post from a new thread started about the river stick, it made more sense to move it than start another thread.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..