Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 11:14   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: River Stink

Alas no longer Clock Garage at the top of Milnshaw Lane.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-12-2004, 16:43   #32
land of hope and glory

does anyone remember where they put the animals,before they went into the slaughter house?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 18:02   #33
Senior Member+

Old grave yard that was opposite the slaughter house on hyndburn road, i think.
Old 03-12-2004, 18:07   #34
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet
Old grave yard that was opposite the slaughter house on hyndburn road, i think.
you are right janet i think they put them in there to eat the grass they say it was nutritional with plenty of body in it,can you remember when someone opened the crypts it was in the local papers.

just wondering how less got to be around here...he..hee!
Old 03-12-2004, 21:33   #35

Seeing the photos of milnshaw lane takes me back to my paperlad days for harry pollards whos shop was next door to the bull pub my first round took me up union st then up eagle st and the area round the old baths back to the shop my second bag then ready first delivery up the steps on the right under the bridge about four houses there one of the familys were the deans a biggish family if I remember rightly then under the bridge a row of houses left were aldi is two familys I remember on there brian wriggleswoth who sang in the choir at mary mags church another family jackie hibberts a good footballer who played in the same pioneer works team as my older brother jim my round took me across the round then up some more steps were perrys park someof there cars one of the familys there the jacksons there son alan I knew very well my round went then owenst haywood road aitkin st queens road and my last deliverys was round the wards victoria hospital then dash back home to get into my uniform and on parade with the church lads brigade
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 17:00   #36
Senior Member+

The Stink had trout in it around Broad Oak works,that was in the 70's coz we used to catch them and eat them.They could be found in that stretch behind the Bridge pub,then the river went under a bridge and I think it was there that a lot of polution was poured into it from the Town Centre by the time it surfaced just at the other side of Accy Car Park near the Viaduct.Anyway the Thames has over 100 species of fish and is very clean now - it looks muddy and that is the way it's been for 1,000's of years,apparently!

Last edited by kestrelx; 04-12-2004 at 17:02.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:08   #37

Here is pic I took in 1988 of bull bridge. Nice and clean and tidy. Milnshaw and Croft round to the right. I suppose it looks different again now. Castle street gone. etc. I remember a pawn shop in Castle st.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan1.JPG (25.2 KB, 53 views)
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:15   #38
Resting in Peace

Here are a few more for you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VIADUCT 1.jpg (33.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg VIADUCT2a.jpg (35.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg VIADUCT3a.jpg (42.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg VIADUCT4a.jpg (34.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg VIADUCT5a.jpg (38.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg viaduct6a.jpg (36.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg THE CASTLE PUB 1.jpg (43.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Mick; 05-12-2004 at 09:16.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:51   #39

Absolutely enthralling pics for me. Thanks for that Nick. I am just going to have to save up and come back for one last time to see Accy. Don't know when but it'll have to be soon. Last time didn't have much time. This was an area that I used to know like the back of my hand. It had changed when I was here last but I couldn't take it all in
Old 05-12-2004, 09:53   #40

Sorry. Mick not Nick.
Old 05-12-2004, 18:14   #41
I am Banned

tewrry, maybe theose large fish are stink-lebacks! lol ha ha ha ha ha
accystankev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 22:06   #42
Resident Waffler

Great photos Mick. It hasn't changed too much from when Terry took his.

Does anyone know why some of the viaduct arches are thicker than others?

Just another little bit of useless information - that graveyard along Hyndburn Rd was called Macpelah and belonged to the Baptists. Apparently it means "God's acre"

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 00:44   #43
land of hope and glory

there where two cottages next to the graveyard one got knocked down and the other stood for a few years after!the people that lived in there had the surname ball!there is a couple i remember cedric who was a big guy and rode moterbikes, and carol his younger sister who was small and petite,the fair used to be held across the road on ellisons tennant,i also remember the graveyard being dug up to make way for modernisation.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:58   #44

Thumbs up Re: River Stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
there where two cottages next to the graveyard one got knocked down and the other stood for a few years after!the people that lived in there had the surname ball!there is a couple i remember cedric who was a big guy and rode moterbikes, and carol his younger sister who was small and petite,the fair used to be held across the road on ellisons tennant,i also remember the graveyard being dug up to make way for modernisation.
I remember the Ball family quite well, Ced used to ping the bra straps of us girls when we went down the fair. Ray, his younger brother married a friend of mine, Angela, But they are now divorced. Ray lives in Blackpool now and owns a shoe shop, call Balls.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:47   #45

Possibly the two thicker piers were built more substantially because both sit either side of the river stink. The stink could flood like a mighty Amazon at times. Protection against possible erosion or even a weaker base on which they stand. But I don't really know

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..