Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2004, 10:28   #1

River Stink

Could anyone tell me please if the river hyndburn is still referred to as the river Stink. Does it still stink. Has it been cleaned up or is it still polluted?. Forty five years ago, even though it was polluted, I could still catch stickle backs in it along Hyndburn rd near a lodge. Are they still there? It was a long time ago since I last smelt it. If I close my eyes and concentrate I can still smell it
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2004, 10:55   #2
God Member

Re: River Stink

Yep...still stinks Terry, but nowhere near as bad as it did. In fact, I've seen one or two larger fish in there than sticklebacks. But it's still called the Stink.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 11:01   #3
Senior Member+

They're probably still sticklebacks, but they are new mutant versions from all the pollution...
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 11:31   #4
Resident Waffler

The lodge is still there too, right next to the Asda supermarket. Or should I say the Asda was built right next to the lodge?

Do you remember when that site was occupied by Ewbank?

Oh come on T it really can't be called stinky these days. There's no gunk in it.

I still think we should make a feature of it round Black Abbey/Oak St area.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 12:25   #5
God Member

It is actually quite remarkably clean these days, except when it has been raining hard, then it fills with mud.

When did you last have your nose near it Tealeaf?
Old 29-11-2004, 12:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
It is actually quite remarkably clean these days, except when it has been raining hard, then it fills with mud.

When did you last have your nose near it Tealeaf?
He can smell it from his front door I would not compare it to the River Avon or any other river for that matter. It's still the "Stink" even if it smelled of roses!!

Played many an hour by its banks on Nelson Square! That's probably why I've nearly lost mi sense of smell!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 13:51   #7
Beacon of light

I passed the River Stink this morning......it didn't stink and it looked quite clean...... though I must admit that these observations were taken from road level......I don't think it would look good if I climbed the railings and went down for a proper look......besides they might have had to get a crane to lift me out
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 16:34   #8
land of hope and glory

the stink got that name because it did!now if you take time out to follow the stink you will see all different species of wildlife,i have personnally seen brown trout and kingfishers.these would not be seen anywhere near a water that was polluted.if you are lucky and walk down the dunk where the river hyndburn and the tinker brook meet you may even see deer!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 17:57   #9
Senior Member+

Only thing i have seen down there is cows and bulls.
Old 30-11-2004, 19:10   #10
Resident Waffler

And possibly the odd AccyWebber taking photos.

Old 30-11-2004, 20:20   #11
Full Member+

Unhappy Re: River Stink

Does anyone remember the houses on Croft Street?. They were just along from Stuart Engineering and backed onto the River Stink. They were squalor properties and were knocked down in the late sixties
Old 01-12-2004, 05:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick
Does anyone remember the houses on Croft Street?. They were just along from Stuart Engineering and backed onto the River Stink. They were squalor properties and were knocked down in the late sixties
I must be thinking of the wrong Croft Street (Eileen Cross lived there). The one I'm thinking of was near Sacred Heart Junior School on Bradshaw Street. That was in Church...and quite a way from the River Stink. Or have I missed another Croft Street Uncle Mick?
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 07:21   #13
Resident Waffler

I can't think where the heck Stuart Engineering is/was but I know I ought to know.

I can only think of that Croft Street too Darby. If I could find my map it would help.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:46   #14

Smile Re: River Stink

My dad used to work on Croft St, at Conveyor & Elevators, (before they moved to Grange Lane), it backed on to the Stink, he used to tell us that they saw quite a lot of rats in the lower part of the building.

When I was a kid we used to play stepping stones in the river ,down by Nelson Square, opposite Lina St, we also went frogging and could catch loads of little frogs.
We once found some small cardboard barrels and tried to sail down to the tunnel near Sharn Hall, but being cardboard they disintegrated after about 15 minutes and we were all knee deep in the smelly, dirty water.
Needless to say, mother was NOT impressed and I was kept in for the rest of the weekend. She was a hard woman!!
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:22   #15

I remember that as a kid with four others we all climbed over the wall on Bull bridge and we all went into the tunnell with the intention of going as far as it would go till we reached daylight again. There wasn't much water on that day. We didn't get very far when someone made a noise in the dark and we all started screaming and came running out like the devil was after us. It sure was eerie in there.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..