Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 20:30   #76
Senior Member+

Re: River Stink

This thread has been running since 2004 and I have only just seen it. Fascinating stuff. There does seem to have been some confusion over Croft Street. There was one in Accrington ( close by Bull Bridge) and one in Church. It was close by Nelson Square and looked across to India Street, so both were close to the Stink.
Someone mentioned Nelson Sq being overlooked by Lina Street. This is in fact Emma Street. I took papers there.
I spent a lot of time on Nelson Square. I lived in Persia St. There was a sewage pipe close to the bridge at Henry Street which we used to watch at certain times, knowing that effluent ( we didn't call it that) would be discharged from it. We liked to see the rubber goods bobbing along. Not only did Nelson Square
provide access to the Stink, it was a football and cricket field, a 'dirt track' circuit , a cowboys and Indians area, a courting spot and a place where underground shelters could be explored.
Where the road crossed the Stink at Bull Bridge ( the bridge by the Black Bull pub) was the very centre of Accrington in the very early ( at least medieval) days.
Seeing Atarah's photos of Electricity Street gave me a real thrill.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2010, 20:41   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
This thread has been running since 2004 and I have only just seen it. Fascinating stuff. There does seem to have been some confusion over Croft Street. There was one in Accrington ( close by Bull Bridge) and one in Church. It was close by Nelson Square and looked across to India Street, so both were close to the Stink.
Someone mentioned Nelson Sq being overlooked by Lina Street. This is in fact Emma Street. I took papers there.
I spent a lot of time on Nelson Square. I lived in Persia St. There was a sewage pipe close to the bridge at Henry Street which we used to watch at certain times, knowing that effluent ( we didn't call it that) would be discharged from it. We liked to see the rubber goods bobbing along. Not only did Nelson Square
provide access to the Stink, it was a football and cricket field, a 'dirt track' circuit , a cowboys and Indians area, a courting spot and a place where underground shelters could be explored.
Where the road crossed the Stink at Bull Bridge ( the bridge by the Black Bull pub) was the very centre of Accrington in the very early ( at least medieval) days.
Seeing Atarah's photos of Electricity Street gave me a real thrill.
I spent a lot of time on Nelson square too great place.How old are you.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 22:37   #78
I am Banned

Old Accrington.
New Accrington had its own center

They didn't become Accrington until 1878.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:11   #79
Senior Member+

I have just remembered that the piece of spare land between Croft St, Church, Bradshaw Street and Wesley Street, looking across to India Street was called The Croft by locals. It was in a hollow alongside Sacred Heart RC School. It may have had allottments or hen pens. 'Croft' means field or piece of land.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 13:53   #80
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolef View Post
when we were kids we used to walk up the river stink from the back of the graveyard/gasworks and we would come out at the bull pub.it did stink and there were all kinds of things including rats around....if you were realy brave you could go the other way and that would have brought you out at milnshaw park just before the lodge but i was never that brave.. i remember that thae used to fill the graveyard with sheep/lambs and by the time i had got home from school they had gone.... to the slaughter house across the road my bedroom window overlooked the graveyard it was always such a nice sight to see them.. ive been a vegie now for 35 years i wonder if it had anything to do with it. ive never realy thought about it before.
We used to go down to the far end of the car park near the Viaduct and go down to the river and walk along, it came out of a dark concrete tunnel we never went up and the other end where it flowed there always used to be rats, that was towards the cemetery end. I suppose this is the area you are talking about.

At the other end behind the bridge pub, even though it smelt there were trout in there in teh 70's that came down from further up at Warmden Reservoirs which are now drained!

I just keep getting the idea to go into the tunnel end behind the bridge and walk right through to the Arndale Centre side and film it and see what it was like? See if there are any secret doorways into buildings beneath Accrington!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 15:01   #81
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
We used to go down to the far end of the car park near the Viaduct and go down to the river and walk along, it came out of a dark concrete tunnel we never went up and the other end where it flowed there always used to be rats, that was towards the cemetery end. I suppose this is the area you are talking about.

At the other end behind the bridge pub, even though it smelt there were trout in there in teh 70's that came down from further up at Warmden Reservoirs which are now drained!

I just keep getting the idea to go into the tunnel end behind the bridge and walk right through to the Arndale Centre side and film it and see what it was like? See if there are any secret doorways into buildings beneath Accrington!
Been through the length of the Hyndburn from Cross St to the bottom of Castle St many times with the Fire Brigade. Before they built that so called new maket there was an entrance in the middle where we could lift a man hole cover and go down from there, the entry was in two stages, with a platform leading down to the river. Theres not much to see, but I suggest you put you wadders on, its deep in places.
Retlaw
Old 06-02-2010, 16:18   #82
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It sounds like a dangerous idea to me.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:21   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It sounds like a dangerous idea to me.
More like an understatement!!! I am daft at times but not enough to try a bimble down the stink even with the right gear on.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:10   #84
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Further to what I put in a previous post about the culverted part of the river Hyndburn, it starts in Cross St/Grange Lane continues under Cross St, then down Duke St Back, under the Commercial Hotel, across little Blackburn Rd, then under where the clock used to stand at the corner of Peel St for about 50 yards, then it veers left under the outdoor market, across Broadway, under the Arndale and Car park and carries on then fairly straight to the Bull Bridge end.
There are no secret doorways, but there are a number of drains leading into it which can gush there contents out at unexpected times.
What has happened to the entrance that was under the old outdoor market I can't say.
The other part, Woodnook Water that is culverted, runs from behind the old baths in St James St, drops about 12 ft, goes under Paradise St, then under what was the Ritz cinema, turns sharp right down under Grange Lane, then left to meet up with Warmden Water at the end of Cross St.

The reason the Fire Brigade used to train under there was for emergencies, in case some idiot tried to go it alone and had to be rescued.

As Spuggie has said, to venture in there without proper gear is stupid. And there's nowt much to see anyway.

We will probaby read your obit in the Observer.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Neil; 07-02-2010 at 11:30. Reason: fixed quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:33   #85
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The reason the Fire Brigade used to train under there was for emergencies, in case some idiot tried to go it alone and had to be rescued.

As Spuggie has said, to venture in there without proper gear is stupid. And there's nowt much to see anyway.

We will probaby read your obit in the Observer.

Retlaw.

Thank you for posting that.
Lets hope anyone thinking of doing it sees this and takes your advise.
Old 09-02-2010, 00:35   #86
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Been through the length of the Hyndburn from Cross St to the bottom of Castle St many times with the Fire Brigade. Before they built that so called new maket there was an entrance in the middle where we could lift a man hole cover and go down from there, the entry was in two stages, with a platform leading down to the river. Theres not much to see, but I suggest you put you wadders on, its deep in places.
Retlaw
Thanks for that - but I don't know all the street names. All I recall is the river behind the Bridge Pub were it went into a tunnel then as far as I understood it, it came out at the other end of the carpark in Accy Town Centre out of a very well made concrete tunnel.

I wouldn't actually go down there - it was a mere fantasy. I suppose there are town plans that show the exact course of the river under the town!

It must have been cleaned up these days though and the source of it's name - "Stink" no longer relevant?

We used to fish for trout in the stream from Warmden Reservoirs down passed Broadoak, caught many trout there in the 70's and eaten them - very tasty!

Last edited by kestrelx; 09-02-2010 at 00:39.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 19:21   #87
God Member

Didn't the smell have something to do with the paper mill at Rishton
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 19:30   #88
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Eh.

Retlaw.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:32   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
....or maybe it had something to do with this:

CRYPTOZOOLOGY ONLINE: Still on the Track: GWILYM GAMES: The Strange Case of the Mutant Toadman of Accrington

Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 22:28   #90
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
You are probably right .... Maybe the Mutant Toadman could be persuaded to post on AccyWeb ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..