Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Shoot the scum
Yes we should 41 82.00%
No we shouldn't 9 18.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 01:20   #121
God Member

Re: Shoot looters/rioters/arsonists on sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I was thinking more towards the South Pole, than near your beautiful city.

And here was me, another 'dumb' uneducated Yank import thinking you meant the idyllic place on western end of the Black sea ...understand Tibilisi is nice this time of year

thread wander ...something kind of odd, that the Georgia wiki page there is no mention that it's most famous son is uncle Joe (Stalin)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2011, 07:16   #122
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
And here was me, another 'dumb' uneducated Yank import thinking you meant the idyllic place on western end of the Black sea ...understand Tibilisi is nice this time of year

thread wander ...something kind of odd, that the Georgia wiki page there is no mention that it's most famous son is uncle Joe (Stalin)
Most here had never heard much about South Georgia, until the Falkland War that is.

It would make a fine place to start shipping convicts to.

Punishment, and a nature lesson.

The lesson mainly being it's cold down there.

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:54   #123
Super Moderator

Don't usually go in for linking to newspaper pieces, C'mon-style, but I thought this one from that subversive pinko rag The Daily Telegraph was quite thought-provoking.

Immigrants love this country more than we do - Telegraph

Are immigrants standing up for traditional values in this country more than we are?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:50   #124
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Don't usually go in for linking to newspaper pieces, C'mon-style, but I thought this one from that subversive pinko rag The Daily Telegraph was quite thought-provoking.

Immigrants love this country more than we do - Telegraph

Are immigrants standing up for traditional values in this country more than we are?
Maybe because they see it as their very own cash cow
Old 11-08-2011, 09:13   #125
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Maybe because they see it as their very own cash cow
Yeah, I know, all immigrants are lazy, benefit-claiming scroungers, unlike our fine, upstanding British born workers. Seen plenty of them round our way industriously smashing windows and stuggling with heavy loads.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:23   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yeah, I know, all immigrants are lazy, benefit-claiming scroungers, unlike our fine, upstanding British born workers. Seen plenty of them round our way industriously smashing windows and stuggling with heavy loads.
Which ones Maybe we have to many indigenous people who are prepared to run down there own country no mater what Wyn
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41   #127
Super Moderator

Quote:
Which ones Maybe we have to many indigenous people who are prepared to run down there own country no mater what Wyn
Plenty of indigenous people ready to run their own country down and also plenty ready to bleed their own country dry as we've seen recently. Obviously, plenty of immigrants ready to do the same too, but if you read the article, perhaps there are some immigrants who are ready to protect what they've worked for and who hold dear the values that many Britons have forgotten - strong community, family ties, looking after their old folk etc.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:44   #128
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Plenty of indigenous people ready to run their own country down and also plenty ready to bleed their own country dry as we've seen recently. Obviously, plenty of immigrants ready to do the same too, but if you read the article, perhaps there are some immigrants who are ready to protect what they've worked for and who hold dear the values that many Britons have forgotten - strong community, family ties, looking after their old folk etc.
I don't think strong family ties has ever been in question amongst the ethnic communities in this country, you don't see too many elderly Asians in homes for the elderly in this neck of the woods
Old 11-08-2011, 10:12   #129
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't think strong family ties has ever been in question amongst the ethnic communities in this country, you don't see too many elderly Asians in homes for the elderly in this neck of the woods
All I was getting at really, Jay, is that immigrants are almost always talked about on here in terms of being a problem and perhaps there are times when they can be seen in positive light.

Oi! Bernard, Claytonender, Graham, get on here and back me up! I'm doing your leftwing liberal job for you here!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:20   #130
Resting in Peace

Quote:
All I was getting at really, Jay, is that immigrants are almost always talked about on here in terms of being a problem and perhaps there are times when they can be seen in positive light.

Oi! Bernard, Claytonender, Graham, get on here and back me up! I'm doing your leftwing liberal job for you here!
Shooosh Harriats doing their job for um
Old 11-08-2011, 10:40   #131
God Member

I guess that some of you lot will by now have seen the clip of the elderly Afro-Caribbean lady, Mrs Pauline Pearce, standing up to the looters in the East End on monday evening. A fine example of someone caring about the community they live in.

I wonder if she is in any way related to the Pauline Pearce from Hackney who got sent down for 6 years in 1994 for smuggling crack-cocaine into the UK?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:44   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
im watching bbc news at the min .. and they just had a woman guest on ... she says that the rioters dont know that what they were doing was wrong .... if thats the case then why are they not doing that every day when they go out ...
Even in my day there were youths who were "wrong 'uns" but they knew they were doing wrong and understood the consequences. These recent rioters may or may not know that what they are doing is wrong but the difference now is that they just don't care. Apparently they don't seem to have a conscience - the one thing which was supposed to distinguish humans from the rest of the animal world. Also they know that woolly-headed judges won't hand out real punishment so they have nothing to fear from authority.
Old 11-08-2011, 14:10   #133
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I guess that some of you lot will by now have seen the clip of the elderly Afro-Caribbean lady, Mrs Pauline Pearce, standing up to the looters in the East End on monday evening. A fine example of someone caring about the community they live in.

I wonder if she is in any way related to the Pauline Pearce from Hackney who got sent down for 6 years in 1994 for smuggling crack-cocaine into the UK?
Smuggled cocaine, in her crack?

Now 'heroine'.

Cameron will have her in the House of Lords by autumn.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 19:22   #134
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Many find the work or starve dilema fairly inspiring.
How's about a dose of good old fashioned Naval discipline: strap them to a lamp post and deal them 50-lashes with the cat-o-nine-tails.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 19:23   #135
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
How's about a dose of good old fashioned Naval discipline: strap them to a lamp post and deal them 50-lashes with the cat-o-nine-tails.
Do Navy ships have lamp posts?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..