Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2010, 14:04   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Sunday Trading

I think if people want to open then they should be allowed to, half day closing is just daft nowadays, i guess Market forces would govern if it was viable. It would give people extra choice on what to do if Sunday trading on a regular basis was available locally...lets face it people these days do choose to shop on Sunday's and will go where the shops are open, so if this was encouraged in Hyndburn then i cant see why people wouldn't make use of it. The main thing is to get the area up and running as a viable shopping alternative to other towns, which will take more than just an alteration in opening hours, but i would call it a positive move in the main.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2010, 14:09   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Don't think its viable unless ya got good shops/stores to open n accy sadly aint.
Old 22-01-2010, 14:16   #18
God Member

it would create more jobs
Old 22-01-2010, 14:29   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
it would create more jobs
in n ideal world shaz yeh, but ya gotta take enough money to justify all overheads that creates, n do ya think it would wi the shops accys got?
Old 22-01-2010, 15:01   #20
God Member

thats true
Old 22-01-2010, 15:03   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Jaysay & Andrew's boss has called for an end to half-day closing and asked for town centre shops to open on Sundays. He wants to market the town as a 'Major Shopping Centre'.
Would it work for Accrington? I don't think so because people only have a set amount to spend each week, spread over 6 or 7 days this amount will remain the same.
It must also pose somewhat of a moral dilemma for jaysay. Does he support his leader or does he (as a catholic) oppose him on the matter of Sunday trading?

Call to end Accrington Wednesday half-day trading

Keep Sunday Special
Err I have no boss, and I make my own mind up, I'm not a Labour Party, Member, who's only answer to the command Jump is how high

As for Sunday shopping, I'm not bothered one way or the other as I don't go shopping anymore

Last edited by jaysay; 22-01-2010 at 15:06.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 17:02   #22
God Member

Does PB actually go down town on a Wednesday. The only place I can think of that is closed all day is the COUNCIL RUN MARKET HALL

When we moved in to the shop we closed Wednesday and opened Sunday. After a couple of weeks we changed it round. Sundays are dead, and it isn't going to change much because the bookies don't have much to bet on Sunday's
Old 22-01-2010, 18:51   #23
God Member

Me i would be lost without Sunday shopping as i work most Saturdays. All I want to do Saturday afternoon is put my feet up n chill out. Then Sunday I can go shopping. Its not everyones cup of tea but we are now in a 24/7 world whether we like it or not. Very few shops up here have a half day during the week or close on Sunday. Depends on the shop owner though if they can afford to stay closed that i doubt they can.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 18:54   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Me i would be lost without Sunday shopping as i work most Saturdays. All I want to do Saturday afternoon is put my feet up n chill out. Then Sunday I can go shopping. Its not everyones cup of tea but we are now in a 24/7 world whether we like it or not. Very few shops up here have a half day during the week or close on Sunday. Depends on the shop owner though if they can afford to stay closed that i doubt they can.
now spugs they have to stay open up yon,less chance of being burgaled.
Old 22-01-2010, 19:11   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
now spugs they have to stay open up yon,less chance of being burgaled.
Rugger didnt think of that. A good point.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 20:57   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
who's only answer to the command Jump is how high
Are you getting confused? I thought that was the conservatives when Dame Hilda was leader.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 21:18   #27
Full Member+

The death knell was sounded for town centres when Councils granted permission to build out of town shopping areas.
Free parking, easy access and 7 day week trading.
Any wonder why town centres are stuffed.
And don't blame any particular party, the decisions were reached by Politicians / Councillors who wouldn't recognise a good idea if it came along and bit them.

Accrington as a traditional Victorian market town with quaint shops was suggested many years ago to attract out of town tourists. This was rejected in favour of the abomination of a town centre you have got now.

Now you want to promote Sunday trading.

Errr

Bolted, stable, horse, door ..........................................

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 09:42   #28
God Member

ther eis one major ingredient missing from this plan..

shops !

we dont have any lol

ok we got a few poundshops but lets face it if you want anything theres plenty of places to get what you want on a sunday such as asda and whitebirk.Who in tehir right mind is going to pay more to shop in town center when you can save money shopping at suermarkets and on industrial estates in such places like commet.

teh new tesco wont help accy center any either so teh council need to make tehir mind up who they are supporting local buisness or multi million pound companies by allowing them to set up in our town

theres a housing shortage and what does our council do , demolishes hundreds of houses and moves in an un-needed supermarket instead of allowing more affordable housing to be built to replace what was demolished

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 23-01-2010 at 09:45.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 09:56   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Are you getting confused? I thought that was the conservatives when Dame Hilda was leader.
No its always been a trait of Labour, look what they did to poor George Slynn because he objected to LCC closing nursing homes, he was dumped
Old 23-01-2010, 15:38   #30

Did not the loss of a large car park in Accrington not add to the loss of shoppers and thus shops?
webglynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..