Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2010, 16:17   #31
God Member

Re: Sunday Trading

Quote:
Originally Posted by webglynne View Post
Did not the loss of a large car park in Accrington not add to the loss of shoppers and thus shops?
to simply put it yes

they took away a huge land level carpark and built teh arndale on it then in another stupid decision built a tax office on the other carpark

all that happened when the arndale was built was currys,dixon, virgin media etc moved into it and left empty shops on broadway which were filled by scope and various other charity shops

between the countless times broadway has been dug up and lack of shops or over abundance of charity shops people have got fed up and spend there time and money elsewhere

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2010, 17:36   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by webglynne View Post
Did not the loss of a large car park in Accrington not add to the loss of shoppers and thus shops?
I don't think so Webglynne .. the Arndale multi-storey has lots more parking spaces .. and all free.

You've got to blame the fact too that most people can afford 'the car' and gives them access to do more bulk shopping at one hit (supermarkets) and also electrical retailers .. easy to get most of these goods in your car, rather than try to cart home on the bus.

Mind you .. look at all the extra products we demand now that were not in existence a few decades ago ... cleaning products for instance. Window/Bathroom/Kitchen/Furniture Polish/Room sprays/Washing conditioners/Floor/Oven cleaners .. the list goes on and on. So bulk has really become bulk.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 17:52   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Mind you .. look at all the extra products we demand now that were not in existence a few decades ago ... cleaning products for instance. Window/Bathroom/Kitchen/Furniture Polish/Room sprays/Washing conditioners/Floor/Oven cleaners .. the list goes on and on. So bulk has really become bulk.
Don't buy those expensive(poisonous) cleaners, just get yourself a few of these-
http://www.e-cloth.com/

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 18:11   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Don't buy those expensive(poisonous) cleaners, just get yourself a few of these-
http://www.e-cloth.com/
Think I have got one of those somewhere ... was given a free sample at an Exhibition I was attending.

Mind you Margaret ... the cleaners were just one area of what we buy now ... look at body products for instance (toilet rolls ... LOL) ... and the alcohol we can now afford to buy on a regular basis. Hic. The list is endless for what we consider now for essential living.

Re: Sunday trading .. I would like to see it in Accy ... irrespective of the budgets people have, this does include luxuries which lots of people appear to be able to afford e.g. clothes, mobile phones, holidays, etc ... good to browse for these on an extra day, and I have to go to Blackburn on a Sunday for these.

Last edited by katex; 23-01-2010 at 18:15.
Old 23-01-2010, 19:36   #35

I do seems to recall when the car park was due to close people from well out of town objecting as they drove into acccrington for the free easy access lots of parking.
webglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 20:24   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

problem with the arndale car park = its too narrow n badly spaced n lit, very poor design, i know quite a few that stopped shopping in accy because of this, also know quite a few that park on Aldi, or King St, fer same reason, so yes i'm sure people stopped using accy centre, but cos of the car park, not the arndale, we did have dixons n others when it first opened, Why did they cease? ya gotta ask yerself, cos many stopped coming accy centre is the answer, don't take rocket science, just thought.
Old 23-01-2010, 20:26   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
problem with the arndale car park = its too narrow n badly spaced n lit, very poor design, i know quite a few that stopped shopping in accy because of this, also know quite a few that park on Aldi, or King St, fer same reason, so yes i'm sure people stopped using accy centre, but cos of the car park, not the arndale, we did have dixons n others when it first opened, Why did they cease? ya gotta ask yerself, cos many stopped coming accy centre is the answer, don't take rocket science, just thought.
Your right with that Cashy...i parked on it once, not long after it was built...horrible place, never used it since!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 20:52   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
problem with the arndale car park = its too narrow n badly spaced n lit, very poor design, i know quite a few that stopped shopping in accy because of this, also know quite a few that park on Aldi, or King St, fer same reason, so yes i'm sure people stopped using accy centre, but cos of the car park, not the arndale,science, just thought.
How ridculous Cashy ... agree re. the poor lit .. can't see very well to put my lippy on after I have parked....

Apart from that ... it is a very easy car park ... wide ramps, wide parking spaces, easy access by lift or stairs,can always find a space ... humph .. must be men drivers.

Believe me, lots of worse in the UK .. and I have parked on more than most.

Last edited by katex; 23-01-2010 at 20:56.
Old 23-01-2010, 20:58   #39
God Member

Quote:
How ridculous Cashy ... agree re. the poor lit .. can't see very well to put my lippy on after I have parked....

Apart from that ... it is a very easy car park ... wide ramps, wide parking spaces, easy access by lift or stairs,can always find a space ... humph .. must be men drivers.

Lippy after leaving the car

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 21:05   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

its you thats ridiculous also ignorant cos i dont tell lies,
Old 23-01-2010, 21:12   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Paris will not use it, nor will quite a few of her mates, Taggy has just stated he won't, n i know quite a few, thats how ridiculous it is.
Old 23-01-2010, 21:18   #42
God Member

Always baffles me that one of the ramps is narrower than the other.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 21:21   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Paris will not use it, nor will quite a few of her mates, Taggy has just stated he won't, n i know quite a few, thats how ridiculous it is.
Sorry .. will not change my opinion that the car park is to blame. Still stick to my opinion that this is a very acceptable easy manoeuvrable car park.
Old 23-01-2010, 21:24   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
its you thats ridiculous also ignorant cos i dont tell lies,
Wasn't suggesting you told lies Cashy .. just didn't agree with your perception of the car park.
Old 23-01-2010, 21:26   #45
Senior Member+

Said it before, will say it one last time DEMOGRAPHICS, if you don't understand it, google, it; that's why Accy is dead on it's arse, that's why we have no River Island, no Next. Not difficult really.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..