Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 11:20   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: Sunday Trading

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Maybe they won't be bothered about the number of empty units we have but surely they are in it to make money. Leaving units empty is hardly good business sense
Sadly with owners like the Swiss bank, who deal in billions, their investment is more likely tied up in the long-term increase of property prices, rather than income from rent.

Though I totally agree with you.

If you were a landlord, and no one could afford to rent from you, if you solely relied on the income, you'd cut your rent, rather than have the properties standing empty.

Swiss banks don't need to rely on the rental income of a few retail units in Accy, to put food on their table.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2010, 11:25   #107
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Don't worry about the spin.

We're used to politicans, and those seeking to enter politcs, spinning to their own political agendas on here.

Also, don't worry about having an extra eighty quid in your pocket, to fritter on whatever takes your fancy.

It's an enviable position. One I'm sure the many people in Hyndburn, who struggle to pay therir bills, and put food on their table etc, would love to be in, but sadly all the figures point to the fact that many in the area aren't able to do so.
True, unfortunately. I've just always been a firm believer in hard graft and I'm relieved to say that it has paid off in the end. I still live in a Band A terraced house though, so does that put me in the 'deprived' category I wonder? I'm hardly rolling in it but my wife and I work hard and are firmly of the opinion that if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.

We saw a programme sometime last year with three questions to ask yourself when shopping:

1: Can you really afford it?
2: Do you really want it?
3: Will you still want it next week?

That little tip caused us to start shopping a bit more carefully and as an upshot we discovered that shopping for things with small local businesses is often cheaper than you would imagine.

I will try not to spin my own political agenda on this forum, if that's what it's being seen as. I just feel quite passionately that if we all had more pride in our towns and villages we'd be a stronger society.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:51   #108
Give, give, give member

It's nothing to do with pride.

There's no one more passionately proud to have roots in this area, thanks to the many generations of my family who lived and worked here before me, but sadly pride doesn't fill an empty kid's belly.

It's all well and good pontificating about what we'd like to see, but if you're a shopkeeper, and what you're selling is either too expensive for people to buy, or not what they want to buy, then that shopkeeper's children are going to have empty bellies.

Simple free market economics,

Supply and demand.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:18   #109
Common Sense Member

Again, all very valid points but it still staggers me how many people I come into contact with who moan endlessly about how skint they are and yet stand there chain smoking in either top brand clothes and/or trainers that have cost around £150. You'll forgive me for being a little cynical about the priorities that those members of deprived areas have.

Around half of my working week is spent getting my hands dirty in some fairly unpleasant situations and has taught me to appreciate the money I earn. The current economic climate has hardly left us with a great swathe of job vacancies but if it came down to a choice between an unattractive menial job that paid the bills or struggling to fit in with fashion I would opt for paying the bills every time.

My wife and I eat well and yet our average cost of a home cooked meal is around £3-£4 between us, not including wine which I would class as a luxury. We never go hungry, we have vegetables every day and there is usually enough left for either a second helping or our lunch the following day. I know how it feels to live on a tight budget as I have been there and it isn't very nice but it can be done if you get your priorities right.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:27   #110
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Again, all very valid points but it still staggers me how many people I come into contact with who moan endlessly about how skint they are and yet stand there chain smoking in either top brand clothes and/or trainers that have cost around £150. You'll forgive me for being a little cynical about the priorities that those members of deprived areas have.

Very man of the people, when it comes to understanding living on a limited income.

Are you're sure you'd not be more suited to stand as an 'on yer bike/hang 'em and flog 'em' Conservative candidate, rather than Labour?

Getting back on thread, when it comes to selling your ideas to us, I'll pass thanks.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:38   #111
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Very man of the people, when it comes to understanding living on a limited income.

Are you're sure you'd not be more suited to stand as an 'on yer bike/hang 'em and flog 'em' Conservative candidate, rather than Labour?

Getting back on thread, when it comes to selling your ideas to us, I'll pass thanks.
If anyone can flaunt luxuries and claim poverty then I'm afraid it's not me whose priorities are wrong. I have been until relatively recently in a position where literally every penny counted and pinning a political flag on a situation doesn't alter the fact for anyone that necessities are, by definition, more important than having the best gear.

If you can make that sound like a bad thing then I salute you.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:50   #112
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If anyone can flaunt luxuries and claim poverty then I'm afraid it's not me whose priorities are wrong. I have been until relatively recently in a position where literally every penny counted and pinning a political flag on a situation doesn't alter the fact for anyone that necessities are, by definition, more important than having the best gear.

If you can make that sound like a bad thing then I salute you.
Personally I think it's wiser not to judge other people period. Especially based on something as superfical as the clothes on their back.

For one thing, those clothes might be copies of designer gear.

Making wild assumptions about how other people live their lives isn't for me, mainly because it's so easy to be wrong.

Never judge a book by it's cover.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:51   #113
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Personally I think it's wiser not to judge other people period. Especially based on something as superfical as the clothes on their back.

For one thing, those clothes might be copies of designer gear.

Making wild assumptions about how other people live their lives isn't for me, mainly because it's so easy to be wrong.

Never judge a book by it's cover.

A good point, well made. But the cigarettes.....?
Old 07-02-2010, 13:06   #114
Give, give, give member

Quote:
A good point, well made. But the cigarettes.....?
Again, until people on low incomes have it tattooed on their foreheads, personally I can't tell who can, and who can't, afford to spend their money on whatever they want.

What you will find is that historically, those at the lower end of the income scale, tend to spend a larger percentage of their income on things that help them cope with life, such things as alcohol and tobacco.

Personally I'd never be so condescending to criticise anyone's lifestyle choices, but then again I'm not hoping to win people's confidence, and secure their votes at the ballot box, because if I was I'd fear I'd have shot myself in the foot, by alienating myself from the reality of other people's lives.

Old 07-02-2010, 13:11   #115
Common Sense Member

Quote:
When you've had beans on toast four nights running, you're taking cold showers and a hot water bottle to bed instead of putting the boiler on, walking everywhere to save petrol and drinking nothing but tap water because you're not even sure you can afford milk for your tea before payday then you can come back to me about not understanding what it's like.

Trust me, I have been there and it's awful. I am eternally grateful to my wife and some wonderful neighbours during that time. It's the primary reason why I want to see things improved for those who really are destitute and have absolutely nothing.
Old 07-02-2010, 13:20   #116
Give, give, give member

Quote:
When you've had beans on toast four nights running, you're taking cold showers and a hot water bottle to bed instead of putting the boiler on, walking everywhere to save petrol and drinking nothing but tap water because you're not even sure you can afford milk for your tea before payday then you can come back to me about not understanding what it's like.

Trust me, I have been there and it's awful. I am eternally grateful to my wife and some wonderful neighbours during that time. It's the primary reason why I want to see things improved for those who really are destitute and have absolutely nothing.
One would have hoped that you would be therefore less judgmental about the plight of others, of whom there are many in this area, who struggle because of their relatively low income.

Old 07-02-2010, 13:28   #117
Give, give, give member

By the way, how many 'Yuppies' did you spot shopping in Accy yesterday?

Did you check whether that blazer really was Ralph Lauren, and their Preppy shoes were Gucci loafers, and not fakes?

If they were smoking their Marlboro Lights, I hope they had their bank statements, to prove they could afford to puff their tobacco.

Old 07-02-2010, 13:34   #118
Common Sense Member

Quote:
What you will find is that historically, those at the lower end of the income scale, tend to spend a larger percentage of their income on things that help them cope with life, such things as alcohol and tobacco.
Precisely, which is why having more community groups is a good idea. There is also a very good NHS helpline to quit smoking which has helped several people I know quit smoking after years of being addicted.

There is no quick fix for many of the problems we are all faced with but you seem obsessed with bringing politics into it. If something is good for a community then it shouldn't matter what particular badge you're wearing and you certainly don't need to be a politician to try and make a difference.

I don't know what school of thought you subscribe to but if attempting to identify flawed systems and trying to improve them is a flaw in itself then I'm glad I'm on my side of the fence.
Old 07-02-2010, 13:50   #119
Give, give, give member

There's the harsh reality of the economics of the actual living, breathing, high street, and running a business there, and there's living in Cloud Cuckoo Land, where many of those in power locally reside.

Perhaps you'll fit right in. As long as you haven't alienated anymore of the electorate before then, 4 X 4 drivers, smokers, wearers of designer clothes, etc.

Old 07-02-2010, 13:54   #120
Common Sense Member

Quote:
One would have hoped that you would be therefore less judgmental about the plight of others, of whom there are many in this area, who struggle because of their relatively low income.
Correct, but if you read what I actually posted you will find that I don't agree with people who flaunt luxuries and cry poverty, not everyone who lives in a deprived area. If you can't even decipher messages written in plain English I hope you're not a politician yourself.

A very good friend of mine was convinced that her rising credit card bill would force her to give up her car so I took a look at her finances for her and managed to whittle out all the unnecessary things which were draining her bank balance. Within 18 months she had settled her three credit cards and her overdraft and was able to step back and see the damage that spending beyond her means had caused.

Sometimes all it takes is a fresh set of eyes on a problem.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..