Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 14:01   #121
Give, give, give member

Re: Sunday Trading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Correct, but if you read what I actually posted you will find that I don't agree with people who flaunt luxuries and cry poverty, not everyone who lives in a deprived area. If you can't even decipher messages written in plain English I hope you're not a politician yourself.

A very good friend of mine was convinced that her rising credit card bill would force her to give up her car so I took a look at her finances for her and managed to whittle out all the unnecessary things which were draining her bank balance. Within 18 months she had settled her three credit cards and her overdraft and was able to step back and see the damage that spending beyond her means had caused.

Sometimes all it takes is a fresh set of eyes on a problem.
One person's 'luxury', is another persons necessity, to help them cope with the grind of life's daily struggle to survive.

Know and understand your target audience.

The people in archly conservative Virginia Water, in leafy Surrey, might be a more appreciative an audience.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2010, 15:21   #122
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Sometimes all it takes is a fresh set of eyes on a problem.
By the way, I'm not personally knocking your politcal ambitions.

I'm sure nearly everyone would agree being a councillor is a fairly thankless task. Much criticism when you get it wrong, and faint praise when you don't.

You are obviously passionate. Democracy relies on new blood being attracted into politics, so more power to you.

However, if I disagree with someone, I'll continue to give my counter-argument, regardless of who it's against.

I wish you well, and hope the residents of the ward appreciate your passion.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:35   #123
Resting in Peace

Reading this thread it appears that all the town centre ills started in 2000, it didn't. early in this thread Rindi mentioned tumble weeds in the town centre, a statement I used around 1994 in a letter to the Observer, when I referred to the then Labour top heavy council was hell bent on selling every asset and plowing the money in the golden cow at the Globe Centre, instead of investing it in the town centre, Labour started the Juggernaut of town centre decline, something which is very hard to reverse
Old 08-02-2010, 09:42   #124
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Reading this thread it appears that all the town centre ills started in 2000, it didn't. early in this thread Rindi mentioned tumble weeds in the town centre, a statement I used around 1994 in a letter to the Observer, when I referred to the then Labour top heavy council was hell bent on selling every asset and plowing the money in the golden cow at the Globe Centre, instead of investing it in the town centre, Labour started the Juggernaut of town centre decline, something which is very hard to reverse
I certainly didn't mention the year 2000, nor made mention of any ruling political group.

I did say the problems have happened over the last few decades.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:17   #125
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I certainly didn't mention the year 2000, nor made mention of any ruling political group.

I did say the problems have happened over the last few decades.
I'll let you off then but you did mention tumble weeds
Old 11-02-2010, 06:16   #126
God Member

As this thread was talking about empty units in the Arndale another may be added to them. Ethel Ausitn are set to close a lot of shops. From what I've seen I don't think the Accrington store is one of their busiest.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..