Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 09:27   #91
Give, give, give member

Re: Sunday Trading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

Finally, one minor issue is that the Arndale is not owned by the Council, it's owned by a business that is in the business of making money. The Council have very little influence in what happens in there, so they can't affect the rents that the Arndale are charging.
All businesses have to 'make money', otherwise they soon close down.

As stated, besides the Arndale, there are twenty other empty retail units in the town centre, and that's discounting the shops which are being used by charities, and as a percentage of total retail space in the town, that is much more than the national average.

Sadly this situation predates the current recession, as the rot had started long before the credit crunch.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2010, 09:37   #92

I feel Accrington as not been the same since the Arndale was built. I loved the old Accrington and the market as it used to be.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:47   #93
Give, give, give member

'However Coun Britcliffe said “If you go into Asda on a Sunday morning it’s jam packed'
Call to end Accrington's Wednesday half-day trading (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Well we know where at least one person does his shopping.

As Lancsdave pointed out, the only town centre retail businesses that are closed on Wednesady are in the council run Market Hall, all the other shops are open.

Just as those shops who think it's worthwhile for them, already open up on Sunday. Which is apparent to people that actually shop in the town centre, instead of spending their time going off their trolley in the souless alleys of supermarket chains.

So all this half-day guff is yet more hot air and empty rhatoric, from someone who it appears doesn't know the facts regarding shopping in Accrington's town centre.

Accrington's shops do already open all day Wednesdays, and Sundays, if they think it viable, and profitable.

The economic market decides when, and how long, traders open, not some politican, sat in his ivory tower, surrounded by his shopping, in ASDA carrier bags.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:50   #94
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
I loved the old Accrington and the market as it used to be.
I agree.

The market is a sad shadow of it's former self, and it's heartbreaking to see.

Nothing to do with people's changing shopping habits, as other market towns are still bustling, but down to some very poor planning decisions from the powers that be.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:57   #95
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I agree.

The market is a sad shadow of it's former self, and it's heartbreaking to see.

Nothing to do with people's changing shopping habits, as other market towns are still bustling, but down to some very poor planning decisions from the powers that be.

The thing is though the planning was done with what at the time they considered it the way forward. We look back and see it was wrong and are paying the price. What it does prove though is that planning for the future is fraught with danger and it will either be a roaring success or a first rate failure. There can never be a real balance that will suit all and that is the price we pay for trying to get it right.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:10   #96
God Member

It might help to redress the problem if the council and the owners of the Arndale Centre reduced their rents. Surely it is hardly good business to make rents so high that you end up with loads of empty units. Does it not make more sense to accept smaller rent and have the units occupied than having them empty making nothing? Or have a missed the point here? Would seem to me that my suggestion is the right way to go but then again I'm not in business.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:15   #97
Give, give, give member

'A retail study commissioned by Hyndburn Council in 2005 found that convenience (food) retailing was under-represented in terms of units and floorspace'
Home - Accrington Town Centre AAP - Accrington Town Centre AAP (Informal Consultation)

I'd have thought we already had more than enough kebab, curry shops, and other takeaways in the area....apparently not.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:21   #98
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
It might help to redress the problem if the council and the owners of the Arndale Centre reduced their rents. Surely it is hardly good business to make rents so high that you end up with loads of empty units. Does it not make more sense to accept smaller rent and have the units occupied than having them empty making nothing? Or have a missed the point here? Would seem to me that my suggestion is the right way to go but then again I'm not in business.
Spokespeople for the Arndale have hinted that they aren't keen on investing much in Accrington, since Tesco's planning application was approved, and which they vehemently opposed, along with the Hyndburn Chamber of Trade.

Still, with the half million quid bung from Tesco, at least the flower towers will be well stocked, and look pretty for a few years, whilst the tumble weed blows past the ever expanding stock of empty shops.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:24   #99
God Member

Quote:
Spokespeople for the Arndale have hinted that they aren't keen on investing much in Accrington, since Tesco's planning application was approved, and which they vehemently opposed, along with the Hyndburn Chamber of Trade.

Still, with the half million quid bung from Tesco, at least the flower towers will be well stocked, and look pretty for a few years, whilst the tumble weed blows past the ever expanding stock of empty shops.
But they have already got the building, is it not a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face to leave units empty rather than lower the rent? It makes more sense to get some income surely?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:37   #100
Give, give, give member

Quote:
But they have already got the building, is it not a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face to leave units empty rather than lower the rent? It makes more sense to get some income surely?
It's owned by a Swiss bank, who sadly probably couldn't give two hoots about the numbers of empty units we currently have in Accrington.

A tiny speck in a massive property portfolio.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:44   #101
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Still, with the half million quid bung from Tesco...
That is a very cynical view
Old 07-02-2010, 10:59   #102
Common Sense Member

Quote:
That is entirely my point.

Garinda, I'm not disputing your facts as you've clearly looked into it in a reasonable amount of detail but you can prove anything with statistics if you really want to.

I come back to the Preston scenario and how run-down certain areas had become, someone who remembers it during the late 90s will hopefully back me up. The town centre ended up littered with empty and delapidated shops and took a fair bit of intervention from the council to get it back on track but far from being a failure it totally regenerated the area. Those who said that no one was spending on the high street anymore ended up with egg on their faces and it was shown to have brought people in from far and wide.

Accrington seemingly has a problem if there is a reluctance to invest but squeezing the businesses that are already there rather than having a full compliment of units at a lower rent doesn't make sound business sense to me. You need to adapt to the changing climate to survive, which I have had to do over the past two years. I lowered many of my charges at the onset of recession and as a result have never been busier, despite the economic situation.

Just to put you in the picture about the spare £80 that didn't seem to go down well with you, I am self-employed and work my nuts off seven days a week. It is a lifestyle choice I am very happy with and allows me occasional luxuries that I feel I would be unable to afford if I worked set hours for someone else. I do not believe in credit, loans or overdrafts and as a result I feel comfortable in allowing myself the odd shopping spree every few months so long as all the bills are paid. I would also far rather support local businesses than go to places like the Trafford Centre.

I would also beg you not to accuse me of 'spin'. You make me sound like Alistair Campbell or Max Clifford or someone equally vulgar.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:06   #103
God Member

Apart from the Arndale where rents are astronomical it's difficult for any retail business to invest in Accrington at the moment. It's too disjointed.
We would like a bigger shop but which part of town do you move to ? Everythings up in the air at the moment because of Tesco's and the bus station. The whole emphasis of the town will change. I'ts not just the rents that cause the problems but the length of leases. Who wants to commit to 3 or 5 years in one place when you have no idea how things will pan out
Old 07-02-2010, 11:09   #104
God Member

Quote:
It's owned by a Swiss bank, who sadly probably couldn't give two hoots about the numbers of empty units we currently have in Accrington.

A tiny speck in a massive property portfolio.

Maybe they won't be bothered about the number of empty units we have but surely they are in it to make money. Leaving units empty is hardly good business sense
Old 07-02-2010, 11:12   #105
Give, give, give member

Don't worry about the spin.

We're used to politicans, and those seeking to enter politcs, spinning to their own political agendas on here.

Also, don't worry about having an extra eighty quid in your pocket, to fritter on whatever takes your fancy.

It's an enviable position. One I'm sure the many people in Hyndburn, who struggle to pay therir bills, and put food on their table etc, would love to be in, but sadly all the figures point to the fact that many in the area aren't able to do so.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..