Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2010, 10:50   #1
God Member

Sunday Trading

Jaysay & Andrewb's boss has called for an end to half-day closing and asked for town centre shops to open on Sundays. He wants to market the town as a 'Major Shopping Centre'.
Would it work for Accrington? I don't think so because people only have a set amount to spend each week, spread over 6 or 7 days this amount will remain the same.
It must also pose somewhat of a moral dilemma for jaysay. Does he support his leader or does he (as a catholic) oppose him on the matter of Sunday trading?

Call to end Accrington Wednesday half-day trading

Keep Sunday Special

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2010, 12:01   #2
God Member

Re: Sunday Trading

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Jaysay & Andrewb's boss has called for an end to half-day closing and asked for town centre shops to open on Sundays. He wants to market the town as a 'Major Shopping Centre'.
Would it work for Accrington? I don't think so because people only have a set amount to spend each week, spread over 6 or 7 days this amount will remain the same.
It must also pose somewhat of a moral dilemma for jaysay. Does he support his leader or does he (as a catholic) oppose him on the matter of Sunday trading?

Call to end Accrington Wednesday half-day trading

Keep Sunday Special
Err, I have no boss. Who has asked for it? The first link doesn't work.

At the end of the day it should be up to the shops, do they think it's financially viable to stay open? I personally think it's a good idea. I don't subscribe to the argument that people only have the same to spend, it's about convenience. You could well argue that they should only open once a week if it wasn't about convenience.

We do need to think about refusing certain types of shops though. If we want to become a 'major shopping centre', then a sea of pound shops and bookies is not going to cut it.

Nationally the abolition would be good too. It seems daft that depending on the day of the week I may order something and it come next day, but shove another letter in front of the day and I have to wait 3 or 4 days.

Last edited by andrewb; 22-01-2010 at 12:03.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 12:09   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't subscribe to the argument that people only have the same to spend
Er...in the world of reality, I think you'll find that most hard working families live within the constraints of a very tight budget, and don't have a bottomless pit of money to spend on whatever takes their fancy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 12:10   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Er...in the world of reality, I think you'll find that most hard working families live within the constraints of a very tight budget, and don't have a bottomless pit of money to spend on whatever takes their fancy.
I think you'll find you quoted me completely out of context. The point of me saying that was not, as your selective quoting suggests, that people have more money to spend. It was that of convenience.

Is this how low you'll go?
Old 22-01-2010, 12:20   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't subscribe to the argument that people only have the same to spend, it's about convenience.
Full sentenced quoted, if it makes you happier.

It's quite clear that you've posted that you think don't think 'people only have the same to spend', regardless of how long businesses are allowed to trade.

This is wrong. Most hard working folk, after paying all their bills etc, have only a limited amount to spend each week on food, and consumer durables etc.

If shops and stores trade 24/7, and you think people will magically spend more than their budget allows, you're wrong.

Old 22-01-2010, 12:25   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

he can't explain what he means correctly, he's only at uni.
Old 22-01-2010, 12:25   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Is this how low you'll go?

As posted the other day, low.

Lower than a snake's belly. If need be.

Old 22-01-2010, 12:30   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
As posted the other day, low.

Lower than a snake's belly. If need be.
if he thought that was low-------------------------- aint seen nothing yet.
Old 22-01-2010, 12:40   #9
God Member

Quote:
Full sentenced quoted, if it makes you happier.

It's quite clear that you've posted that you think don't think 'people only have the same to spend', regardless of how long businesses are allowed to trade.

This is wrong. Most hard working folk, after paying all their bills etc, have only a limited amount to spend each week on food, and consumer durables etc.

If shops and stores trade 24/7, and you think people will magically spend more than their budget allows, you're wrong.
That is not at all what I meant or said. Not subscribing to the particular argument that yerself put forward, against Sunday Trading, does NOT mean I suddenly think families will have more money because of an additional day of shopping! Never did I mention that. I simply stated that I do not subscribe to his against argument, as it's not about the money spent, it's about convenience for the shopper. Not subscribing to a particular argument on why we shouldn't have Sunday Trading, does not mean I think the opposite, it means I don't think it's a good case to argue the point on, as it misses the issue of convenience.

Hope this is clear now that I have repeated myself three times. Please stop trying to be so adversarial when there is no need. You're interpreting something how you wish, because you can post some petty points.
Old 22-01-2010, 12:45   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
That is not at all what I meant or said. Not subscribing to the particular argument that yerself put forward, against Sunday Trading, does NOT mean I suddenly think families will have more money because of an additional day of shopping! Never did I mention that. I simply stated that I do not subscribe to his against argument, as it's not about the money spent, it's about convenience for the shopper. Not subscribing to a particular argument on why we shouldn't have Sunday Trading, does not mean I think the opposite, it means I don't think it's a good case to argue the point on, as it misses the issue of convenience.

Hope this is clear now that I have repeated myself three times. Please stop trying to be so adversarial when there is no need. You're interpreting something how you wish, because you can post some petty points.
I find it much easier to post what I actually meant to say, and believe, in the first place.

Then I don't have to waste my time backpedaling, and trying to shamefacedly cover my tracks.

Old 22-01-2010, 12:48   #11
God Member

Quote:
I find it much easier to post what I actually meant to say, and believe, in the first place.

Then I don't have to waste my time backpedaling, and trying to shamefacedly cover my tracks.
That is what I did. Post what I believed in the first place. You just chose to interpret it in a way that allowed you to make some petty point, rather than address the issue and have a debate.

I'm not going to write reams of essay like posts, gone over with every nip and tuck sealed from any loophole you may find, just for your benefit.
Old 22-01-2010, 12:52   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
That is what I did. Post what I believed in the first place. You just chose to interpret it in a way that allowed you to make some petty point, rather than address the issue and have a debate.

I'm not going to write reams of essay like posts, gone over with every nip and tuck sealed from any loophole you may find, just for your benefit.
Andrew ya did not put it very clearly in yer first response! no need to write reams of essay, just say what ya mean clearly.
Old 22-01-2010, 12:56   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:

What you said, is there for all to clearly see, and doesn't seem at all ambiguous, as to what you meant, despite your subsequent backtracking.

Quote:
I don't subscribe to the argument that people only have the same to spend, it's about convenience.
If you can't see this, or are posting things you don't fully comprehend the meaning of, I pity you. As that must be a most unfortunate attribute to have.

Old 22-01-2010, 13:25   #14
God Member

The first link worked when I posted it. Try this:
Call to end Accrington's Wednesday half-day trading (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 13:44   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Same sort of thinking from Cllr. Britcliffe, as when he tried to impose 'continental café culture' on Accrington, despite the amount of lashing rain we get locally, and the biting cold wind, that blows infront of the Town Hall, even in summer.

I don't remember Britcliffe's sweetie shop, or frock shop, being open 24/7.

Perhaps in reality it was realised people only have a certain amount of money to spend, and that the costs, staff, utility bills etc, meant it wasn't financially worthwhile.

Remember, if the newly refurbished Market Hall doesn't attract the promised arts and crafts stalls, and it doesn't become a major tourist attraction, it's your own fault, for spending your money on fripperies like food and drink, rather than on a pebble say, painted with a pretty picture of a Pendle witch on it.

Since the busiest day in Accrington is no longer market days, but when the flea market, or knock-off day, is on, perhaps they should just turn Accrington into some 24/7 car boot Mecca.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..