Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 20:44   #151
Resident Waffler

Re: The NHS is rediculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post

I consider my earnings to be my property, not that of the State. The Left is obsessed with equality of outcomes rather than equality of opportunity. Some people are smarter than others. They invent things. Take risks when they start a business. Use their God given talents well and invest their assets wisely. I have never bought into the class/wealth envy game. Remarkable really when you consider where I was raised.
You are fortunate in your ability to be able to work for those earnings. Not everyone is so fortunate. You refer to equal opportunity. Do you honestly believe that people from unequal backgrounds have equal opportunity? The child born into a background of poverty does not even have an equal opportunity of education to the child of a middle class family. This in turn directs them to lower income occupations or unemployment. How can people invest their assets wisely if they have never had the opportunity to aquire assets?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2007, 20:53   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
And if you get sick, the hospitals are damn good.
Yes, if you are a visitor with foreign currency to spend. Likewise if you are part of the Cuban elite or military. Not so for the ordinary Cuban citizen, though. First hand accounts abound. I am amazed that you don't know this. One of my English relatives flies to Cuba at least twice a year. He always takes supplies for Cuban friends there. Even simple things like aspirin are often unavailable except on the black market.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 20:55   #153

Quote:
Yes, if you are a visitor with foreign currency to spend. Likewise if you are part of the Cuban elite or military. Not so for the ordinary Cuban citizen, though. First hand accounts abound. I am amazed that you don't know this. One of my English relatives flies to Cuba at least twice a year. He always takes supplies for Cuban friends there. Even simple things like aspirin are often unavailable except on the black market.
So if it is so bad how come their life expectancy is the same as the US???
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 21:02   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
You are fortunate in your ability to be able to work for those earnings. Not everyone is so fortunate. You refer to equal opportunity. Do you honestly believe that people from unequal backgrounds have equal opportunity? The child born into a background of poverty does not even have an equal opportunity of education to the child of a middle class family. This in turn directs them to lower income occupations or unemployment. How can people invest their assets wisely if they have never had the opportunity to aquire assets?
Poverty need not be a handicap, unless you make it one. That's the great thing about America. People rise on their merits and determination. It happens all the time.
Old 05-06-2007, 21:05   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
So if it is so bad how come their life expectancy is the same as the US???

You assume that the figures put forth by the Cuban dictatorship are accurate. I don't.
Old 05-06-2007, 21:22   #156
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Poverty need not be a handicap, unless you make it one. That's the great thing about America. People rise on their merits and determination. It happens all the time.

So a disabled kid born in a ghetto is as likely to get a University education as the son of a doctor or lawyer?

Old 05-06-2007, 21:23   #157

Quote:
You assume that the figures put forth by the Cuban dictatorship are accurate. I don't.
Actually it's WHO figures.Also if I am asked to choose between Cuban government figures and rabid right wing reactionaries there isn't really any choice.Oh and with regards to the "everyone has access to healthcare"An investigation by a British journalist into whether there was any truth in Michael Moore's film.Sicko? The truth about the US healthcare system - Independent Online Edition > Americas
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 00:01   #158
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Yes, America's richest list, and Washington's corridors of power, are awash with people who are the descendants of cotton pickin' slaves...not.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 00:37   #159
God Member

G. W. Bush ... living proof that people rise on their merits and determination.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:19   #160
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes, America's richest list, and Washington's corridors of power, are awash with people who are the descendants of cotton pickin' slaves...not.
Well I think its been a while since Oprah was shucking corn or washing the clothes for dem white folks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:29   #161
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Well I think its been a while since Oprah was shucking corn or washing the clothes for dem white folks
Twenty two Dixie dancin' years, since the Color Purple.

My, doesen't that cotton pickin' time just dog gone there fly, Massa?

Old 06-06-2007, 09:01   #162
Resident Waffler

For some people to be at the top there always have to be a lot more people underneath.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:41   #163
Resting in peace

Quote:
For some people to be at the top there always have to be a lot more people underneath.
True willow, for every winner there is a field of loosers.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:17   #164
Give, give, give member

Quote:

That sounds like one of Adolf Hitler's philosophies.

Karl Marx might disagree.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:22   #165
Resident Waffler

It's not a pholosophy - it's an observation of why the 'everybody has a equal chance' idea doesn't work unless people at the top are willing to climb down a little to meet people from the bottom who are trying to climb up - now that bit could be a philosophy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..