Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 23:18   #31
Member.

Re: The Peel Monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Blah, blah, blah.

Yada, yada, yada.

Your negativity/obsession with Gayle is becoming tired.

Surely she can't still be a threat to your beloved Peter?
Can we please have one ****ing discussion without the whole bloody thing sinking into the mire?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2006, 23:23   #32
God Member

Yes, english heritage protect some sites buildings and monuments, others are listed. grade 2 usually for something like that.

Other society's help to protect stuff to, i think there's an elizabethan society, victorian society, national trust, then you get the locals, civic societies, your local council. Planning department environmental health for unsafe structures etc.
Not sure that any would or wouldn't cover that monument. Depends on who it belongs to. It's got to belong to someone.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 23:25   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Can we please have one ****ing discussion
hmmm thinking?, joking? , hugging?, enjoying?, trying?, ... haaa got it!.... brainstorming?

go on then i give up... what was the secret word doug ?

Old 05-07-2006, 23:25   #34
God Member

The thought of that clock gathering dust in that dark damp basement makes me sad
Old 05-07-2006, 23:28   #35
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
hmmm thinking?, joking? , hugging?, enjoying?, trying?, ... haaa got it!.... brainstorming?

go on then i give up... what was the secret word doug ?

I didn't say that did I? ****** I must be more understanding to my fellow web mates......

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 05-07-2006, 23:32   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
The thought of that clock gathering dust in that dark damp basement makes me sad

I had a great deal to do with finding out about the arndale clock.. i corresponded with the arndale, greg pope.. the observer and even the guy who made it... then when it came time to do soemhting the whole of accyweb seemed to lose interest the threads there to see still.
Old 05-07-2006, 23:35   #37
Member.

Is there now’t on the HBC site about special interest groups or heritage projects in the area?

The problem with this Monument is that it’s not attractive or regionally important enough to attract large scale funding. If it going to get done its likely to be a load of fat middle aged men giving up there Sundays and sweating there bollocks off swinging pick and shovel just like the old days.

I know I don’t qualify given the aforementioned description but I wouldn’t mind getting involved.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 05-07-2006, 23:39   #38

Quote:
Serious question here... may be a bit daft and uninformed and whatever.. but I gotta ask

In Hyndburn or Accrington.. is there not some sort of protection society... a group that looks after important things.. heritage stuff maybe or preservation? Sorry no idea who or what... just wondering if there is something in place... people who would make sure these things are done... people who should have been consulted when they ripped down the arndale clock without consultation... tha knows...

anyone follow my question ?
Yes Kippax I follow your question, I don't know whether their is a Civic Society or not. I should think they would be the people to contact. I'll try to find out tomorrow.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 23:41   #39
God Member

Quote:
I had a great deal to do with finding out about the arndale clock.. i corresponded with the arndale, greg pope.. the observer and even the guy who made it... then when it came time to do soemhting the whole of accyweb seemed to lose interest the threads there to see still.
Kipax I know, thats the first thread I ever read on here, and it's the reason I ended up on here, so it's partly your own fault that your stuck with me.
I was talking to the girlfriend at the time who lives in rawtenstall and somehow clocks got mentioned, and she told me about the clock that used to be in accrington. I decided to see if I could find out about it and find Pictures. I ended up on that thread.

That clock should be in the market hall. If you don't want it up there, I'll have AJ buy it and ship it down here, he likes clocks, he'll build it a special home somwhere out of his pocket money

Last edited by Madhatter; 05-07-2006 at 23:44.
Old 05-07-2006, 23:56   #40

From Hyndburn website about Peel Park

Peel Park and Coppice

History
The land that today comprises Peel Park and the Coppice was acquired for recreational use by the Town Council of Accrington from the Peel family who originated from Peel Fold, Oswaldtwistle and who are notable for Sir Robert Peel the Prime Minster and founder of the Police force. Some of the land was purchased at a favourable price and the Peel family donated the remainder. The work of laying out the park was implemented to coincide with periods of depression and so alleviate local unemployment.

Mr William Peel officially opened the park on 29 September, 1909 . The opening ceremony included a procession of 5,000 children from local schools, three bands and civic dignitaries walking from Avenue Parade to the top of the Coppice. The school's represented on the procession; Cambridge Street, St. Anne's, St. Mary Magdalene's, Hargreaves Street, St. Andrew's, St. Mary's Woodnook, Spring Hill, St. John's, Hyndburn Park, Benjamin Hargreaves, St. Peter's, St. Oswald's, St. John's Baxenden, Green Haworth and St. James.

On the Coppice there used to be four guns which were donated by William Peel in 1910. They overlooked Peel Park and Peel's Accrington House

As Peel Park (and the Coppice) are designated Parks on Hyndburn Council website, the Council must be ultimately responsible for the monument.
Old 06-07-2006, 00:18   #41
God Member

hmmm depends on who inherited the park from town council. You obviously had a seperate town council at one time like we've got, but according to what your saying it's part of your borough council now, unless your town council still owns parks.
It confuses me up there, you do like to complicate things.
Old 06-07-2006, 00:24   #42

Quote:
Serious question here... may be a bit daft and uninformed and whatever.. but I gotta ask

In Hyndburn or Accrington.. is there not some sort of protection society... a group that looks after important things.. heritage stuff maybe or preservation? Sorry no idea who or what... just wondering if there is something in place... people who would make sure these things are done... people who should have been consulted when they ripped down the arndale clock without consultation... tha knows...

anyone follow my question ?
Another group who might be interested are the Prospects Foundation they can be contacted c/o Hyndburn Borough Council.
Old 06-07-2006, 00:32   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
hmmm depends on who inherited the park from town council. You obviously had a seperate town council at one time like we've got, but according to what your saying it's part of your borough council now, unless your town council still owns parks.
It confuses me up there, you do like to complicate things.
I realise that our set up is different to yours. But basically the park belonged to Accrington Borough Council, who amalgamated with the urban district councils of Church, Clayton-le-Moors, Rishton, Great Harwood and Oswaldtwistle in 1974 to form Hyndburn Borough Council. We now only have one council in Hyndburn, there aren't any town councils, just the borough council
All the parks are now owned and managed by Hyndburn Borough Council. The park here in Clayton-le-Moors, Mercer Park was owned by Clayton-le-Moors urban district council prior to 1974, but is now owned by Hyndburn Council.
I know its a moot point whether the parks are being managed properly, but they are the responsibilty of Hyndburn Council.

Last edited by claytonender; 06-07-2006 at 00:46.
Old 06-07-2006, 00:38   #44
God Member

well according to that it was acquired for recreational use by the Town Council of Accrington from the Peel family .town council/urban district/ parish, then above that is borough, anyway if it's hyndburn that took over the park then they took over the monument.
Old 06-07-2006, 00:44   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
Not men from mars Gayle anything but men from mars
Trivia. whats the connection between sir robert peel and aliens?
There is one.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..