Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 00:06   #91
God Member

Re: The Peel Monument

I've decided that this would make a great panoptican and would link the peel monument and aliens

1024 wallpaper
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody

Last edited by Madhatter; 07-07-2006 at 00:11.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2006, 00:09   #92
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I've decided that this would make a great panoptican and would link the peel monument and aliens

When are we closing the border between Lancashire and the mad gets from further south?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 00:13   #93
God Member

I've got some fantastic ideas for accy, peter will love them.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:34   #94
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Please you lot try and keep on topic, it is a good and sensible suggestion that something needs to be done about. If you must have a political debate please take it somewhere else.

Graham, is the coppice not part of your friends group?
Yes I initiated the Friends of Arden Hall and was the chair. They are doing fine now so I am just on the committee now. We don't cover the coppice. However some of cross over to the Regional Park thing which is a bit of a mess with the Council (i.e. dont know what they are doing except repeat Panopticon as often as possible to gain votes)

As I understand opinion in the area, people want to see better facilities like you would find in any counbtry park. Clearly marked information boards, improved paths catering for all. Maybe one or two without steps to allow wheeled access (disabled, police, council cleansing collection if bins etc..). Good access areas (better bike or car parking facilities at several entrance points). A Park Ranger or 2. Some stopping off points (vandal proof if thats possible). An information leaflet. Clearly marked viewing areas. Some promotional stuff to get people to come and see Accy as a great place. Any sensible sugggestions.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 19:35   #95

Reply received from Peter Britcliffe.
I have just received a reply to the email I sent to Peter Britcliffe yesterday, below is the text of the email.

Thank you for your e mail.It may well be worth setting up a small committee of interested parties to consider what appropriate actions we can take. I would be happy to arrange a meeting for the early autumn. If you would like to be part of that committee please contact my office on 380165 and I will ensure you receive an invite to attend.If you know others who may be interested please let meknow. Kind Regards
Peter Britcliffe

In Graham Jones last post he explained about the Coppice being treated as a country, which I think is a good idea.
So if there are any of you interested in being part of the committee ring 380165.

Last edited by claytonender; 07-07-2006 at 19:45.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 19:35   #96

duplicate post

Last edited by claytonender; 07-07-2006 at 19:45. Reason: duplicate post
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 20:42   #97
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender
Reply received from Peter Britcliffe.
I have just received a reply to the email I sent to Peter Britcliffe yesterday, below is the text of the email.

Thank you for your e mail.It may well be worth setting up a small committee of interested parties to consider what appropriate actions we can take. I would be happy to arrange a meeting for the early autumn. If you would like to be part of that committee please contact my office on 380165 and I will ensure you receive an invite to attend.If you know others who may be interested please let meknow. Kind Regards
Peter Britcliffe

In Graham Jones last post he explained about the Coppice being treated as a country, which I think is a good idea.
So if there are any of you interested in being part of the committee ring 380165.
Given the bad news he received this week, I don't think he'll want me ringing him up
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 21:14   #98
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I thought that HBC are not putting any money into Mid Penine this year. We can hardly expect something from them if we don't put anything in.

Maybe Gayle would like to remind us how much HBC put into Mid Penine and how much Mid Penine brought into Hyndburn.
HBC put a big fat zero into MPA last year. As for what they got out of us - I don't know figures but as far as project go there's The Enchanted Woodland at Arden Hall, the Mela and Community Festival, work at Within Grove, a major conference that we held at the Dunkenhalgh for teachers, a conference held at the Hope Centre for pupils, Talking Shop, lots of subsidised workshops in schools plus other stuff.

Some of the projects had outside funding that Mid Pennine Arts applied for so not all of the funding came from Mid Pennine Arts if you want to be pedantic but the projects happened because of MPA.

Talking Shop is an exception because HBC are putting a small proportion into it this year but they are putting the money in solely for that one project and it is funded from one specific department of HBC.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 21:20   #99
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
Given the bad news he received this week, I don't think he'll want me ringing him up
what news was this

sorry never been in the political loop so to speak but this sounds juicy
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 21:26   #100
God Member

I think it might be a few months before Graham can tell all but look forward to it because I think it's going to be juicy.

Old 08-07-2006, 00:18   #101
God Member

Peter Britcliffe

This goes from taking suggestions put on here of a group, to starting that group, setting a date for a meeting and then inviting accywebbers on to that group. All within one paragraph.

I think the best idea is to set up a seperate independant group to work with the council, not a group set up by the council inviting you to join. Especially one started by someone who blocks something because he doesn't like it, and then repeats it after twisting it to try to get votes.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:34   #102
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I think the best idea is to set up a seperate independant group to work with the council, not a group set up by the council inviting you to join. Especially one started by someone who blocks something because he doesn't like it, and then repeats it after twisting it to try to get votes.
An interesting point but you need to work with HBC if you want to do something on their land. HBC would never give a committee the chance to do whatever they want on their land. HBC could always block what a committee decided on anyway.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:19   #103
God Member

I've got to agree with Neil on this one. It's on HBC land and they should be leading the renovation. It's great if they want to form a group to look at ideas but ultimately the responsibility for cleaning it up or replacing it should come from them. They could have some spare cash around to do the work rather than having to apply for funding, etc.

Plus, if you don't work with them then HBC could block any ideas you have.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:47   #104
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
HBC put a big fat zero into MPA last year. As for what they got out of us - I don't know figures but as far as project go there's The Enchanted Woodland at Arden Hall, the Mela and Community Festival, work at Within Grove, a major conference that we held at the Dunkenhalgh for teachers, a conference held at the Hope Centre for pupils, Talking Shop, lots of subsidised workshops in schools plus other stuff.

Some of the projects had outside funding that Mid Pennine Arts applied for so not all of the funding came from Mid Pennine Arts if you want to be pedantic but the projects happened because of MPA.

Talking Shop is an exception because HBC are putting a small proportion into it this year but they are putting the money in solely for that one project and it is funded from one specific department of HBC.

Forgot to add one additional very important point. They also pay me a salary which I spend a good portion of in this area. So I think it's safe to say that HBC get more out of MPA than they put in.

Old 08-07-2006, 15:34   #105
God Member

Well your council has a very strange negative way of working in my opinion. A group should be independent and work together with the council, not be run by the council. You can say an independent group can be blocked by the council, but a group run by the council is a waste of time because only ideas that they will agree with will get discussed and put into action. A member of the council can be on it as a representative of the council if it's voted for them to be by the council, or they can be individuals. but as far as I know councils and councilors shouldn't be putting themselves on committees, or starting them, it starts allegations such as corruption and wasting taxpayers money.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..