Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 15:36   #106
God Member

Re: The Peel Monument

It also sounds like your happy for the monument to be just cleaned up, rather than added to to mark the event.
As gayle is so against panoptican being bought into this, is there any other funding that could be applied for to improve the area and add new interest.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2006, 17:16   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones
Yes I initiated the Friends of Arden Hall and was the chair. They are doing fine now so I am just on the committee now. We don't cover the coppice. However some of cross over to the Regional Park thing which is a bit of a mess with the Council (i.e. dont know what they are doing except repeat Panopticon as often as possible to gain votes)

As I understand opinion in the area, people want to see better facilities like you would find in any counbtry park. Clearly marked information boards, improved paths catering for all. Maybe one or two without steps to allow wheeled access (disabled, police, council cleansing collection if bins etc..). Good access areas (better bike or car parking facilities at several entrance points). A Park Ranger or 2. Some stopping off points (vandal proof if thats possible). An information leaflet. Clearly marked viewing areas. Some promotional stuff to get people to come and see Accy as a great place. Any sensible sugggestions.
If you read through Graham's post, it would appear that the Coppice is part of the Regional Park, and people alraedy want to see better facilities. As the Peel monument is on the Coppice it would make sense to try to include the renovations in any bids for funding for the Counrty Park area of the Coppice. But this would have to be explored and put to the committee. It would be an even more fitting way to mark the Centenary of Peel Park, both to have the memorial renovated, and to have it become a 'Park for the 21st Century' catering for the needs of the many people who want to use it, with access for the disabled as well.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 18:33   #108
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I think the best idea is to set up a seperate independant group to work with the council, not a group set up by the council inviting you to join. Especially one started by someone who blocks something because he doesn't like it, and then repeats it after twisting it to try to get votes.
I know how you feel and if you do anything for the good of Hyndburn, stick with this philosophy.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 18:52   #109
God Member

Do the people of Accy have a solution to this? Have they been asked for an opinion or sugestion? Its part of our heritage and as such should be treated as part of it and not as a lump on that thar hill!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 21:10   #110
God Member

well as it doesn't look like the panoptican people are interested in it being one, The options are, with whatever comittee is set up,
1 renovate it to the standard it was in. don't know who'd pay, your all assuming hbc would.
2 get funding to do as much as you can with the site.

Depending on what you do up there you could get all sorts of funding.

you could do something up there that could have carvings on standing stones depicting scenes of accy now, around the half of the monument furthest from the shelter which is it's main viewing point. If you put round stones balls on the opposite side it would represent time you could then have a path to the shelter representing hands. The monument at the centre but put on a higher plinth. all lit up at night with spots so it could be seen from the main road. Would be good for the blind too as it would be very tactile with the different shapes and textures. Renovate the shelter, get rid of the graffiti. The inscriptions would be representative of accy life since the monument was put up, you've got four sides of six monoliths. accweb would of course have to go on.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 21:30   #111
God Member

Options

http://www.biglotteryfund.org.uk/pro...20for%20People

or

http://www.hlf.org.uk/English/AboutUs/

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 21:58   #112

Just had a quick look at these two web Links, Gayle has given us, the lottery 'parks for people' appears to have closing date for applications of 30 September 2006. So something needs to be started quickly, if this deadline is going to be met.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..