Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 18:57   #61
God Member

Re: The Peel Monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender
Sorry if I sound political here, but the connection, although it is very supurious is as follows. Mid Penine Arts (for whom Gayle works) wanted to build a panopticon on top of the Coppice. Peter Britcliffe (the Tory leader), didn't want one, and implied that Gayle was only standing against him in the local elections in May in a fit of pique. The election manifesto that the Tories sent out, had a picture of the Coppice with a alien spaceship on the top, and the Tories promised to protect our hills (possibly it appeared at first glance from aliens), although I think it was ment to be panopticon they were protecting us all against, but that didn't seem to clear
What right has he got to say that?
It's not HIS coppice is it, and he doesn't make the decisions either. YOU the electorate make those, he's supposed to carry them out.

What were the grounds for the panoptican being refused?
According to whats been written on here the public seemed to like some of the designs.

There's another connection between robert peel and aliens.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-07-2006, 19:00   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
According to whats been written on here the public seemed to like some of the designs.
show me.... i got the impression everyone was appaled and was 100% behind getting it stopped.. I am happy to be corrected and cant wait to see who thought it was a good design or a good idea..... so please do... show ?
Old 06-07-2006, 19:04   #63
God Member

Let's not go over this again please?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 19:05   #64
God Member

he started it .....

sorry couldnt resist that
Old 06-07-2006, 19:06   #65
God Member

What about forming some sort of "friends of the coppice" type thing ?
Old 06-07-2006, 19:23   #66
Senior Member+

Can I just add a quick word on the Panopticon malarkey? Blackburn's Corporation Park has a Panopticon,it's called "Colourfields".All that happened there was that funding paid for the derelict cannon batteries to be refurbished and made safe for the public to use as a viewing point.The original structure is still intact,it now has some fancy railings and some quite pleasant striped paving.You can see for miles over to the Fylde coast,hence the word Panopticon. I would urge the more broad minded and intelligent members of the site to have a nosey at this given the chance. It hasn't spoiled anything,it has saved a dilapidated and dangerous structure and transformed it into something usable and accessible again. I was originally totally against the whole Panopticon idea,but there is NO reason why the funding cannot be used to improve/refurbish an existing structure......food for thought eh???
Old 06-07-2006, 20:41   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
What about forming some sort of "friends of the coppice" type thing ?
I think that is a great idea Kippax and Lindsay's post about the Blackburn pantoptican certainly points us in a direction of keeping and refurbishing the exsisting memorial and adding features in the vincinity that enhnace it. Often, it isn't until people see what has been acheived somewhere that they can envisage a similar scheme in their own area.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 21:09   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
he started it .....

sorry couldnt resist that
lol, behave or I'll tell miss.

Kipax, I can understand that people don't want something that doesn't fit, some sort of super modern space alien thing, although I like the space ship one. I do not believe that it's right for a councillor to say that HE doesn't want ANYTHING on the coppice. thats taking your right as an accrington resident away from you.
I believe you could get a nice scheme on there that enhances and adds to whats there already. Something that most will like. I'll design something for you based on whats there and what I feel.
Old 06-07-2006, 21:14   #69
Resident Waffler

I totally agree with Lindsay. Why can't the refurbishing and repair of the Peel Monument BE our panopticon. Just look at where it's situated and the view from up there! How more panoptical can you get?

Ages ago I mentioned an idea like this. Clean up the two things we have up there, repair what needs repairing. Make some decent paths, add a bit of modern colour which adds to rather than disctracts from what we already have and improve access for all. Then we'd have an answer to the opening post of this thread AND have our own very Hyndburn and very worthy panopticon into the bargain. Of course there wouldn't be anything in it for the "High Form" artist but having seen examples of his work I don't think that would be a great loss.

You might have a point there about the historical significance of some of that graffitti Kipax.

It does look as if the foundations of the monument require a bit more than a bunch of AccyWeb amateurs could probably manage

Like others I still wish we could resurrect that flippin clock too. It's a crying shame to have something like that gathering dust in the Arndale cellar but it doesn't belong to the town does it? It belongs to the owners of the Arndale doesn't it? So maybe HBC would have to buy it from them and then get it repaired before it could be reassembled somewhere - and we could never come up with an ideal location due to the size of it. Let's face it, the ideal location is where it used to be in the centre of the Arndale.

I remember coming back off holiday a couple of years back and seeing headlines in the paper saying that a local website had saved the clock. They were unfortunately jumping the gun a bit but it was a nice moment of excitement while it lasted.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 21:15   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
Can I just add a quick word on the Panopticon malarkey? Blackburn's Corporation Park has a Panopticon,it's called "Colourfields".All that happened there was that funding paid for the derelict cannon batteries to be refurbished and made safe for the public to use as a viewing point.The original structure is still intact,it now has some fancy railings and some quite pleasant striped paving.You can see for miles over to the Fylde coast,hence the word Panopticon. I would urge the more broad minded and intelligent members of the site to have a nosey at this given the chance. It hasn't spoiled anything,it has saved a dilapidated and dangerous structure and transformed it into something usable and accessible again. I was originally totally against the whole Panopticon idea,but there is NO reason why the funding cannot be used to improve/refurbish an existing structure......food for thought eh???
So it has been done elsewhere then. It can be done, you don't need a fancy new panoptican, you can add to what you've got.

The problem with the existing panoptican is that its got no hight to it. Is there a reason that it shouldn't be higher, or a reason why there shouldn't be something high up there?
Old 06-07-2006, 21:18   #71
God Member

Is there an electricity supply up there ? or was one planned?
Old 06-07-2006, 21:49   #72
God Member

robert peel fonded the police force
The police had police boxes with telephones in, you know the square blue ones
Dr who uses one to go and visit aliens.
who knows, he could even turn up in it on top of the coppice, and people will think the tardis is the new panoptican

So there, thats the connection between robert peel and aliens on the coppice.
Old 06-07-2006, 21:51   #73
God Member

Still need an answer about leccy supply though. You need a camera up there really to stop vandalism.
Old 06-07-2006, 22:07   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender
I sent my email at 10.55 this morning, and I haven't received an acknowlegement yet.
PB has been away all week and is not back until late Friday, but he is aware of your Email
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 22:35   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
PB has been away all week and is not back until late Friday, but he is aware of your Email
Thank you for that info. But do you monitor his emails for him when he is away?
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..