Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 00:55   #46

Re: The Peel Monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Trivia. whats the connection between sir robert peel and aliens?
There is one.
Sorry if I sound political here, but the connection, although it is very supurious is as follows. Mid Penine Arts (for whom Gayle works) wanted to build a panopticon on top of the Coppice. Peter Britcliffe (the Tory leader), didn't want one, and implied that Gayle was only standing against him in the local elections in May in a fit of pique. The election manifesto that the Tories sent out, had a picture of the Coppice with a alien spaceship on the top, and the Tories promised to protect our hills (possibly it appeared at first glance from aliens), although I think it was ment to be panopticon they were protecting us all against, but that didn't seem to clear
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-07-2006, 06:07   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Can we please have one ****ing discussion without the whole bloody thing sinking into the mire?
If you can follow the plot we were until Jaysay/ John Farrer/Peter Britcliffe's chum had another dig at Gayle.

I merely remarked it was becoming boring, plus it is quite a valid point that our council has some responsibility to maintain our historic heritage.

Follow me so far?

Good.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:11   #48
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Serious question here... may be a bit daft and uninformed and whatever.. but I gotta ask

In Hyndburn or Accrington.. is there not some sort of protection society... a group that looks after important things.. heritage stuff maybe or preservation? Sorry no idea who or what... just wondering if there is something in place... people who would make sure these things are done... people who should have been consulted when they ripped down the arndale clock without consultation... tha knows...

anyone follow my question ?
In answer to your question there is a Civic Society in Oswaldtwistle. I don't know if there's one for Accrington. I'd like to think there is.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:25   #49
Resting in Peace

I have 2 questions as i have never been up there and dont think i could make it anyway.
1) what is the monument for ?
2) when was it put there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coppice.jpg (51.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg coppice1.jpg (35.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg coppice2.jpg (27.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Mick; 06-07-2006 at 06:36.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:34   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I have 2 qustions as i have never been up there and dont think i could make it anyway.
1) what is the monument for ?
2) when was it put there?
Not an expert but-
1/ 1909.
2/ To commemerate the fact Sir Robert Peel's family came from the area. They lived at Peel Fold in Oswaldtwistle.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/PRpeel.htm

Old 06-07-2006, 06:39   #51
Give, give, give member

Quite sad to see that the graffiti isn't the usual Jane luvs Tony, but appears to be political. Anti-war and the CND symbol.

W*nkers.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:32   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
If you can follow the plot we were until Jaysay/ John Farrer/Peter Britcliffe's chum had another dig at Gayle.

I merely remarked it was becoming boring, plus it is quite a valid point that our council has some responsibility to maintain our historic heritage.

Follow me so far?

Good.
I agree that our council definitely has some resposiblity to maintain our historic heritage.
The comment that you made about hanging baskets, whilst they might sound a good way, in principle, of brightening the borough up. They are an extravagance we can't afford, when you look at how neglected our once proud towns were. It is a case of fiddling whilst Rome burned.
I am going to email Peter Britcliffe and ask what the borough is going to do to restore the monument in time for the 100th anniversary of the opening of Peel Park. I will let you all know his reply, and then we can all think how to put pressure on him to preserve how heritage.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:14   #53
Full Member+

I think this is what you need as a starting point

http://www.lantern.lancashire.gov.uk...1178/1188.html

Mind you the stonework has been deeply carved into by people leaving their marks and I don`t know how you can rectify that.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:34   #54
God Member

wow this thread has grown over night! - To answer a few questions -

Jaysay brought MPA and the Panopticon into the debate (again, boring boring). My point was that there is no reason for Mid Pennine Arts to be involved because the Panopticon was rejected and that remains the situation. It's not an art project so we have no interest and we haven't been commissioned to do any work on it so again we have no interest. If we were approached then I'm sure we would but the chances of that happening are slim - we've been told to leave the Coppice alone and we're doing what we were told.

As for me personally, I am one person around here. Yes, I know about funding and yes, I am interested in history but I can't do everything and you shouldn't expect me to!

Yes, there is an Accrington civic society and for all I know they might be doing something but it's on HBC land so surely they should be doing something.

The grafitti has been there for many years, it is all CND and war stuff so I'm guessing that it's mid 70s - it's been in that state for years.

So that answers a few of them.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:34   #55
Resting in Peace

Before Rindi gets his knickers in a twist, I'm not having a go at Gayle, but maybe she would like to define "Art". One only has to look at the Turner Prize to begin to scratch ones head when it comes to art. I for one was rather annoyed at the fact the the Lottery funded the National Opera to the tune of £50 million quid when the likes of Accrington Blind Society were rufused funding to upgrade their Bank street HQ. To me people who like art should fund it, or at best done try to push it down every ones neck on a basis of like it or lump it.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:58   #56

I agree with Gayle, she can't be expected to do everything, and as it is on Hyndburn Council's land they should do something about it.
I have just sent an email to Peter Britcliffe (copy of text below) and await his reply. I will post a copy of his reply, when I receive it. I also copied Graham Jones into the email, both to keep him informed as Leader of The Labour Party, and in his role as a ward councillor - I am uncertain whether the Coppice is in Peel ward or Huncoat.
COPY OF TEXT OF EMAIL
Dear Mr Britcliffe
As you are no doubt aware, on 29 September 2009 , it will be the centenary of the official opening of Peel Park by Mr William Peel.
Could you please tell me what plans Hyndburn Borough Council have to celebrate this event. Also what steps are being taken to renovate, and preserve for future generations, the Peel monument on the top of the Coppice. This monument commemorates the family connection of the Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel to our borough, and surely is something which we make every effort to renovate and preserve.
Regards

Last edited by claytonender; 06-07-2006 at 10:01.
Old 06-07-2006, 18:30   #57

I sent my email at 10.55 this morning, and I haven't received an acknowlegement yet.
Old 06-07-2006, 18:50   #58
God Member

Peter britcliff should be ashamed of himself if he blocked the panoptican and then had the cheek to turn it in to an election joke when what is up there, and has been there all through, is a vandalised disgrace. It's a disgrace to the peel family, it's a disgrace to accrington people.

peter britcliffe doesn't class a panoptican as art but he classes this as art. He MUST do, it's been there for years, and all through the panoptican arguments.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 18:52   #59
God Member

Look peter, a nuclear bunker for you and your fellow councillors
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 18:57   #60
God Member

There is another thing to consider... Its all old graffiti and could also be seen as part of history.... No one is doing anything bad to it at the moment.... but thats not my point...

What do you think will happen as soon as everyone knows its been cleaned up? I think we all know

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..