Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 13:25   #1
God Member

The Peel Monument

On the top of the Coppice is the Peel Monument, a symbol of the returning of the Coppice to the people of Accrington. It celebrates its centenary in 2009. Now, I know that it's a long time off but I also know how long it takes for things to happen around here.

We should be making our voices heard now that we want this monument tidying up in time for its centenary.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2006, 13:34   #2
God Member

Re: The Peel Monument

Would be quicker to ask for voulanteers and all go up one sunday to do a proper cleaning job on it (My hands up)... I fear with 3 yrs to go you have left it too late for the officials to sort out

Start the accyweb friends of the coppice society or summat..... seriously.. I have been waiitng years for accyweb to make a difference.. have a project... lets see if this is it ?
Old 05-07-2006, 13:43   #3
God Member

..surely it is more than a Graffiti-removal job? I thought there was some subsidence under one part of the structure and some serious cracking? Mind you, last time I was up there was 1974, so things may have changed a bit.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 13:45   #4
God Member

Are you suggesting accyweb isnt up to the job then tealeaf... how much cold water have you got in your taps
Old 05-07-2006, 15:09   #5
God Member

Send up the community service mob to clean it up. It would bring it back to its glory and wont cost the town a penny.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 15:25   #6
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Would be quicker to ask for voulanteers and all go up one sunday to do a proper cleaning job on it (My hands up)... I fear with 3 yrs to go you have left it too late for the officials to sort out

Start the accyweb friends of the coppice society or summat..... seriously.. I have been waiitng years for accyweb to make a difference.. have a project... lets see if this is it ?
Count me in if anyone wants to come up with an action plan. I would suggest that somats done now rather than wait.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 15:27   #7
Member.

Any chance of someone whipping up with a camera. I know there are recent pictures around but we need damage identification shots as it is currently before anything else is done.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 05-07-2006, 15:44   #8
God Member

whipping up the coppice days are long gone for this out of shape snapper I can get up there but its more a struggle than a pop up
Old 05-07-2006, 17:13   #9
Resting in Peace

Maybe it could be a task for Mid Pennine Arts, they seem to like doing things on tops of hills, this could probably be something useful for a change, or in real terms value for money
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 19:09   #10
God Member

It needs new foundations, and the very least the base stone re-laying, they've sunk, becuase the ground around it has been eroded. there's no pointing, on the base stones. It's covered with paint. Now I don't know if you realise it but stone is not smooth, spray paint gets into every tiny crack,so unless it was covered with mould, you've got no chance of just scrubbing the paint off.

You also need some decent paths up there.

As has been said elsewhere, as part of your panoptican, you should maybe make the existing monument your panoptican with it being raised higher, uplit, with lit paths leading to it, and a total revamp of the shelter.

I didn't realise that was a peel monument as well as the one at ramsbottom.

You do realise that tamworth here, has connections with peel don't you? I've just bought some sir robert peel first day stamp covers off ebay, that are franked in tamworth
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 19:25   #11
Member.

Too be honest it is more than likely outside of our ability to do the work ourselves. Some of the facing stones would need to be replaced and the rest would need to be removed and sand or bead blasted. I wouldn’t object to doing some of the donkey work on specific days but it would probably be of more use for us to be involved in fund raising or canvassing local industry to chip in and do the work cost free. The end result would require proofing against kids and vandals.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 05-07-2006, 19:29   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
Maybe it could be a task for Mid Pennine Arts, they seem to like doing things on tops of hills, this could probably be something useful for a change, or in real terms value for money
We offered to do something but your friend refused our offer.

If you recall we said that we would look for additional funding to sort out the monument and the paths but we took the hint when someone said 'no, no, no'. It made it perfectly clear that our help wasn't wanted.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 19:48   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle

If you recall we said that we would look for additional funding to sort out the monument and the paths but we took the hint when someone said 'no, no, no'. It made it perfectly clear that our help wasn't wanted.
Not men from mars Gayle anything but men from mars
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 19:54   #14
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle

Was that not an offer to build a fanciful Blot on the landscape first and then tidy the place up? Gayle don’t hate me for the knock but we need to preserve what we have before we stick something else up there to be ruined. But I still like you.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 05-07-2006, 20:57   #15
God Member

So....... what do you think of making this monument your panoptican, by adding to it, not adding something to the side of it, but adding to this.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..