Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree679Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2012, 18:15   #1726
Resting in Peace

Re: The Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Oh yeh i remember, whilst Scargill was a balloon,

Take yer blinkers off yeh blind get, I never said that.
My mistake I'd have called him a baffoon not a balloon
Old 23-08-2012, 18:17   #1727
Beacon of light

Quote:
I was always under impression that council houses were fer folk who couldn't afford a mortgage? on that basis it was folly to flog em off cheap.
Yes, I'm sure they were...but it meant that many folk who couldn't get on the property ladder(the ones who were considered poor - not usually the type helped by the tory party) were given that opportunity.
I am not saying it was right. I am responding to a question that was posed.
'did any of the Thatcher policies help the man in the street?' That was one which did......at least in the short term.

And when you consider that many of the people living in these houses, had been there for many years...they had probably paid the market value for them over the years.

It was a policy to catch votes and beggar the long term consequences...all parties are guilty of similar things.

I told myself I wasn't going to post to this thread again.......this is definitely the end of it for me. It has all beeen said...over and over and over......tediously, without it making an iota of difference to anything.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 18:18   #1728
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
I do find that opinions about Thatcher tend to be divided and quite extreme but I don't think even the most blue-eyed Tory could deny that there was a great deal of "bad" going on at that time. Could I ask you though, do you, with hindsight, still agree with the privatisations? Do you think that people working hard to make a living and struggling to make ends meet as a result of those privatisations were a price worth paying for a bit of political dogma? Was the destruction of tens of thousands of peoples way of life really worth it just to prove a point?
Just for the record (in case I'm accused of bias) I have been driven away from the Labour party because of the slavish adherence to American foriegn policy. I may be back in the fold soon but at the last couple of elections I have voted (bizarely) UKIP out of desperation and partly because of my dislike/distrust of the EU.
Oh, by the way, in my last post I forgot to mention the 15% interest rates that were forcing people out of there homes and causing businesses to close in record numbers.
Come to think about it, can anyone come up with anything done in that period that worked out well for the ordinary man and woman on the street?
Privatisation wasn't just a "bit of political dogma". It lead to competition which benefited the consumer, replacing inefficient state monopolies and taking the taxpayer off the hook. Take the telephone market. Could you imagine only having the choice of BT? There'd be no reason for them to improve their service, sort out your problems with haste or provide cheap internet access. You have the choice of a large number of suppliers, allowing you to pick the one you prefer.

Politicians do not know best. They can't predict what goods and services people want. Business meets consumer demand, and business fails when it gets it wrong. When politicians decide what is best for us we end up with inefficient and expensive services that we all pay more tax for.
Old 23-08-2012, 18:18   #1729
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
My mistake I'd have called him a baffoon not a balloon
Call him what yeh want yer entitled, but aint noticed yeh condemning the damage the bitch did to ordinary working people.
Old 23-08-2012, 18:23   #1730
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Call him what yeh want yer entitled, but aint noticed yeh condemning the damage the bitch did to ordinary working people.
It was these ordinary working people that were hell bent on briging the Government down again, like they did in 74, only it wasn't Ted Teeth this time.
Old 23-08-2012, 18:25   #1731
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Privatisation wasn't just a "bit of political dogma". It lead to competition which benefited the consumer, replacing inefficient state monopolies and taking the taxpayer off the hook. Take the telephone market. Could you imagine only having the choice of BT? There'd be no reason for them to improve their service, sort out your problems with haste or provide cheap internet access. You have the choice of a large number of suppliers, allowing you to pick the one you prefer.

Politicians do not know best. They can't predict what goods and services people want. Business meets consumer demand, and business fails when it gets it wrong. When politicians decide what is best for us we end up with inefficient and expensive services that we all pay more tax for.
...and what about the privatisation of gas and electric? Has that benefitted the consumer? Has it heck as like. It's been replaced by a cosy little cartel who routinely rip the consumer off to add to their already fat profits. What about water? Have we "the choice of a large number of suppliers"? I hadn't noticed.
Old 23-08-2012, 18:26   #1732
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
It was these ordinary working people that were hell bent on briging the Government down again, like they did in 74, only it wasn't Ted Teeth this time.
Utter tripe, it was about Pit Closures sod all else, summat torys very conveniently forget.
Old 23-08-2012, 18:32   #1733
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Utter tripe, it was about Pit Closures sod all else, summat torys very conveniently forget.
That wasn't Scargill purpose, he used it for his own ends, him and his mate mad mick
Old 23-08-2012, 18:45   #1734

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:

Oh to be so innocent and naive..inefficient state monopolies...I remember when I had an issue with water, gas or electric I could use my BT phone and get in touch with someone without going via 12 options only to reach an Indian with little grasp of English.

I could even go down to the Electric Showroom or Gas Board and see someone in person about my complaint.

I once had a problem with British Gas that took me 3 years to get resolved because I had to deal with the email/telephone complaints system instead of being able to speak face to face
Old 23-08-2012, 18:46   #1735
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...and what about the privatisation of gas and electric? Has that benefitted the consumer? Has it heck as like. It's been replaced by a cosy little cartel who routinely rip the consumer off to add to their already fat profits. What about water? Have we "the choice of a large number of suppliers"? I hadn't noticed.
Yes there are problems. The privatisations that happened haven't turned into some utopian system that can do no wrong. It is better than the old system though. Do you honestly trust politicians to not rake it in and funnel the proceeds into their next pet project.

There's no point in private industry existing if there isn't some form of effective competition. The current energy market clearly needs to be looked at. Unilateral price rises aside, it's incredibly difficult to work out who is actually the cheapest for the amount of energy you use. They can all get away with increasing their prices when it's not clear who to go with. Ofgem, the energy regulator, needs to enforce a simplification of tariffs so that it's crystal clear to consumers.
Old 23-08-2012, 18:52   #1736
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
That wasn't Scargill purpose, he used it for his own ends, him and his mate mad mick
No-ones disputing the stupidity n ego of Scargill, what is in dispute is the damage that cow caused to the british public, yet idiots refuse to acknowledge the fact.
Old 23-08-2012, 18:55   #1737
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Oh to be so innocent and naive..inefficient state monopolies...I remember when I had an issue with water, gas or electric I could use my BT phone and get in touch with someone without going via 12 options only to reach an Indian with little grasp of English.

I could even go down to the Electric Showroom or Gas Board and see someone in person about my complaint.

I once had a problem with British Gas that took me 3 years to get resolved because I had to deal with the email/telephone complaints system instead of being able to speak face to face
You've got to be kidding me. You would not be able to do that today if it was still nationalised.

Choose a phone company that doesn't have overseas call centres if that's your gripe. That's the beauty, you have the choice.
Old 23-08-2012, 19:11   #1738
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes there are problems. The privatisations that happened haven't turned into some utopian system that can do no wrong. It is better than the old system though. Do you honestly trust politicians to not rake it in and funnel the proceeds into their next pet project.

There's no point in private industry existing if there isn't some form of effective competition. The current energy market clearly needs to be looked at. Unilateral price rises aside, it's incredibly difficult to work out who is actually the cheapest for the amount of energy you use. They can all get away with increasing their prices when it's not clear who to go with. Ofgem, the energy regulator, needs to enforce a simplification of tariffs so that it's crystal clear to consumers.
No, they haven't turned into some utopian system that can do no wrong". What they have turned into are outright profiteers who are solely concerned with how much money they can rake in from the long-suffering British public whilst putting as little as possible back in in terms of improving their infrastructure and service. And you're telling me that's "better than the old system"? Utter rubbish. Gas, electric and water were all more affordable when they were treated as public amenities and the service was certainly no worse.

And what about transport? Rail users are crowded into grubby, dilapidated carriages and forced to pay prices that are the highest in Europe for the privilege of doing so. As for buses, at one time this borough had a fleet and service that was one of the best in Lancashire. Then Thatcher decided to privatise and now we have a transport "system" (for want of a better word) more suited to a third world country. And you call that "better"?

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 23-08-2012 at 19:15.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 19:27   #1739

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
You've got to be kidding me. You would not be able to do that today if it was still nationalised.

Choose a phone company that doesn't have overseas call centres if that's your gripe. That's the beauty, you have the choice.
Erm...I guess I was too obtuse for the tory mindset... that is exactly what I did when it was nationalised, went and spoke to someone in a shop in the town centre using a bus that was roadworthy, driven by a driver in a uniform that instilled trust and confidence...when it was privatised it took me 3 years to resolve using internet and phone because I kept having to explain the problem to different people over and over and over and over ad infinitum.

Although to be fair I didn't have to travel to a town centre full of drunks on a death trap minibus driven by a lunatic, so the swings and roundabouts argument could apply
Old 24-08-2012, 08:35   #1740
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No-ones disputing the stupidity n ego of Scargill, what is in dispute is the damage that cow caused to the british public, yet idiots refuse to acknowledge the fact.
It was because of Scargill that so much damage was done in the first place but you won't except that

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..