Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2005, 11:48   #46
Resident Waffler

Re: What do I have to do?

No, I was referring to what Less said about AccyWeb being intended for ex-pats rather than us residents.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2005, 11:50   #47
God Member

My apologies willow.. it looked like you where asking me about the 1998 site
Old 07-09-2005, 11:59   #48
Resident Waffler

I'm just a bit confused because your intention KIPAX with your original idea was apparently aimed at residents and anyone else who cared to have a bit of input. Less said this site was set up for ex-pats so obviously somewhere between the two the aim changed and I was just wondering by whom and when because I wasn't aware of Accringtonweb back then. In fact it was a non-resident investigating the area who drew my attention to it otherwise I probably would never have known it existed.

If Roy really would prefer it to be for ex-pats and for the locals to keep a low profile then I'll rethink my input level and get on with a bit more housework.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:05   #49
God Member

i I wasnt involved with the setup of this site.. I joined on the first day it was setup... hence my line the first day was Roy, Wingy and Me... However I have had input later and helped Roy with a few things here and there and I can assure you 100% the site is for all and not just for expats... not even primeraly for expats..

When I started mine i presumed expats would get the most benefit... accy folk can talk to each other in the pub or wherever... pensioners can talk to each other right in the middle of an aisle in asda for example
I presumed the most benefit would be thosE far far away.. looking around accyweb now I would say that was a country mile off the mark..

I cant speak for Roy.. but I would bet my life savings and anything else that roy sees this as a place for everyone...
Old 07-09-2005, 12:20   #50
I am Banned

I think its great as it is for one as a community, how many people have met or even spoken to other locals that they wouldn't have done so in traditional ways in todays busy & economic society where families & friends are separated, whereas traditionally in by-gone times families lived closeby, there wasn't the resources or finances to move away, traditional manufacturing industry was booming & kept many families of all generations in work even working in same mills, and where cars & phones were luxury.

Times have changed greatly, with cars, transport, phones and the vast technology have effected social & economic's changing the community interaction of many towns. So its great that local areas have moved with the times and gives both community & ex pats local information, help, re-uniting lost people, sharing memories, social interaction & much more that surely benefits everyone connected with the area, plus feedback on things that effect the town & the towns people more effectively that some other meduims.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:21   #51
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Accyweb is for everyone.... thats it
I think this gets my vote as best post on this subject. The current format must please people or the forum would have died.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:26   #52
Resident Waffler

So the idea that "the residents were allowed on the site as guests" isn't how it was?

I must admit that I have communicted with on here, and met in person, loads of people I wouldn't normally have come across on a general daily basis and I've really enjoyed it but wouldn't like to think I was one of the culprits preventing AccyWeb from being what it is really meant to be.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:27   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
I think its great as it is for one as a community, how many people have met or even spoken to other locals that they wouldn't have done so in traditional ways in todays busy & economic society where families & friends are separated, whereas traditionally in by-gone times families lived closeby, there wasn't the resources or finances to move away, traditional manufacturing industry was booming & kept many families of all generations in work even working in same mills, and where cars & phones were luxury.

Times have changed greatly, with cars, transport, phones and the vast technology have effected social & economic's changing the community interaction of many towns. So its great that local areas have moved with the times and gives both community & ex pats local information, help, re-uniting lost people, sharing memories, social interaction & much more that surely benefits everyone connected with the area, plus feedback on things that effect the town & the towns people more effectively that some other meduims.
errr accystanmac is that really you??? who's taken over your computer??? ha ha well said!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:29   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
plus feedback on things that effect the town & the towns people more effectively that some other meduims.
I ahve always wanted to see AccyWeb take the next step up form that.... Not just talk about it and feeback (or constantly moan) but to do soemhting as a whole......We tried with the arndale clock.. I spent weeks sending faxs and phoning people and I used accyweb as a tool to get responses.

i think poeple will take notice of a large group like AccyWeb.. I am not talking about attacking the system or trying to beat it.. but to have an input and maybe help shape some changes..

other things... I suggested to Roy that accyweb should have a float in the accy carnival.. with this amount of people that could give input it would be a winner.. a nice computer theme. perhaps

lots of things we could get involved wiht.. maybe for charity to start things off....

I think we have a massive resource here thats wasted on moaning about things.. when it could be used to better things.. what things? well i dunno
Old 07-09-2005, 12:37   #55
I am Banned

Its me honestly it must be that speak & spell machine heheha

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
errr accystanmac is that really you??? who's taken over your computer??? ha ha well said!
Old 07-09-2005, 12:40   #56

I enjoy the web too but sometimes I find that people are too quick to take offence at a different opinion to their own. I am not reffering to any particular instance at all, this is also just an opinion. I also think that maybe the lack of stimulating threads Less may be something to do with the summer holidays. Maybe things will start to buck up when they are all finished.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:41   #57
God Member

putting the quote your replying to under your message is called jeapordy posting... we have to read your reply before we read the quote.... ie UPSIDE DOWN!
Old 07-09-2005, 12:43   #58
I am Banned

Excellent point Kipax i can't see why this shouldn't happen here & will give locals a chance to say or input of local changes

Oooooh the Arndale clock fiasco, such a pain now i never know what time it is down there anymore like i used to

Quote:
I ahve always wanted to see AccyWeb take the next step up form that.... Not just talk about it and feeback (or constantly moan) but to do soemhting as a whole......We tried with the arndale clock.. I spent weeks sending faxs and phoning people and I used accyweb as a tool to get responses.
That would be a fun idea hahaha it will certainly bring out a creative idea from Accywebbers

Quote:
other things... I suggested to Roy that accyweb should have a float in the accy carnival.. with this amount of people that could give input it would be a winner.. a nice computer theme. perhaps
Old 07-09-2005, 12:45   #59
Resting in peace

I found Accyweb after Sue's Accrington Pages disappeared, just by searching on "Accrington". As a sort of ex-pat (mostly in London, but once a month or so in Ossy) I found it a great site. The real bonus was that I got in touch with old friends like Mez, and have made new ones. A site that was just for ex-pats would not have anywhere near as much life or interest. Okay, so Accy is not the news capital of the world, but it's what's happening in town that doesn't make news that interests us as well. I don't get onsite anywhere near as much as I would like, but I do enjoy most of what I read. There are times when new threads don't hold much interest, but that's a personal viewpoint, and those times are few and far between.

Let's keep it for all of us - it seems to be working brilliantly.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:46   #60
I am Banned

Quote:
putting the quote your replying to under your message is called jeapordy posting... we have to read your reply before we read the quote.... ie UPSIDE DOWN!

So im i doing it right or wrong is this right...sorry im learning new things everyday

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..