Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 12:44   #121
God Member

Re: What do I have to do?

Quote:
Anyone any spare HRT for Mr Kipax, I think he's having a hot flush, must be his age, bless.
oh well.. only trying to help... silly me.. leave you to it.. i am sure the council will welcome your half cocked attempt at raising the clock and having it fully working in the middle of the market...you do realise it open up yes? someone doesnt wind it up every night..
Old 08-09-2005, 13:25   #122
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
but what i least like about the whole thing is that it was taken down without any consultation with the people of accrington.. thats doesnt seem right at all to me...
Fully agree that it's a shame no-one was consulted but I suppose the Arndale bods felt they had the right to do whatever they wanted as it was owned by them. The explanation for removing it initially was that it had ceased to work properly - but it could probably have been fettled easy enough by the creator.

I am a bit confused as to why it became HBCs responsibility to find it a new home. Do we know who actually paid for it in the first place? Maybe the new Arndale owner could be persuaded to consider doing something constructive with it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 13:32   #123
God Member

At some point or another by letter , fax or phone.. someone (I think the arndale manager) told us that they will give it to HBC and have already told hbc.... if they can find somewhere to put it... Greg Pope confirmed it.. Its all a bit hazy but I am sure its in the old thread...
Old 08-09-2005, 13:34   #124
Resident Waffler

Ah but that was them there OLD Arndale owners. Can we be sure the new ones are of the same mind? I think I might try dropping them a line.

Old 08-09-2005, 14:04   #125
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Fully agree that it's a shame no-one was consulted but I suppose the Arndale bods felt they had the right to do whatever they wanted as it was owned by them.
Willow, haven't you said in the past that you own a caravan near Morecambe? If you wanted to sell it or replace it would you consult the population of Hynburn? No. So why should the owners of this horological monstrosity consult the good citzens of the borough regarding their plans for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipax
Unless someone comes up with a viable place to put it then its gonna stay dead.. thats how it finished... no one could come up wiht a place for it where it wouldn't get vandalised at night
Whinney Hill Tip.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 14:49   #126
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself
Willow, haven't you said in the past that you own a caravan near Morecambe? If you wanted to sell it or replace it would you consult the population of Hynburn? No. So why should the owners of this horological monstrosity consult the good citzens of the borough regarding their plans for it?

Because the good citizens of the borough seem to recall being responsible for the original expenditure but I could be mistaken. Perhaps the Arndale owners bought it originally after all. To you it may be a monstrosity but others grew quite fond of it and were dischuffed at its disappearance.

Actually if I wanted to dispose of our caravan I might consult the inhabitants of the camp site where it is located in case any of them wanted it. I would possibly offer it for sale on AccyWeb too. I wouldn't just abandon it any more than I would abandon anything in that way.

I wonder how many Hyndburn residents prefer the cafe to the clock? As the Arndale owners presumably want us to go in there and shop then what we like or don't like does have some validity.

Old 08-09-2005, 14:56   #127
Resident Waffler

Hmm, according Andy Plant's website the clock was commissioned by Town & City Properties.

Check this page.

Old 08-09-2005, 16:10   #128
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Mr Kipax, please can you quote people showing who you are quoting. It is hard to follow when you don't.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 17:22   #129
God Member

Willow I would take the clock as it was unique. How many shopping centres built at the time (no pun intended) say that they had a piece of funtional art in the place. any shopping centre can have a cafe but musical clocks that was something to be proud of.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 21:48   #130
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
oh well.. only trying to help... silly me.. leave you to it.. i am sure the council will welcome your half cocked attempt at raising the clock and having it fully working in the middle of the market...you do realise it open up yes? someone doesnt wind it up every night..
Your input is as valid as mine.

Like you said in another thead, in a bitchin' contest you wouldn't stand a chance, I found the crayon comment churlish, that's all.

As for the aesthetics of the design, yes it's open to a difference of opinion, but as someone who has spent more than half my life in design I do think if fulfilled it's brief.

I overcome silly obstacles, not falter at the first hurdle just because my shoes hurt.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:05   #131
Resident Waffler

This is just a suggestion but on the subject of the clock what about this development thingy that HBC are proposing behind Scaitcliffe House?

Yes, I know behind Scaitcliffe House isn't exactly on public view but it sounds like they want to make it a feature area and the idea of the lodge with piers for fishermen sounds a bit like my one time wish to have a sort of countryside on town type picnic area in central Accy.

Maybe the clock could be incorporated in whatever they plan to build there? After all I think the Arndale Centre was originally built that height in the middle section in order to accomodate the clock when Old Father Time pedals his bike up the pole so perhaps if we get the suggestion in early enough they can build a purpose built area in the shops they plan for this new development?

Whaddya think?

Old 09-09-2005, 10:14   #132
I am Banned

What are they proposing behind scaitcliffe house???

Quote:
they want to make it a feature area and the idea of the lodge with piers for fishermen sounds a bit like my one time wish to have a sort of countryside on town type picnic area in central Accy

Tehehehehe they are so funny with their ideas!!!

Though look at the fiasco of Broadway shopping area??? how many times has that been altered be it change of design & the lack of proffessional building work ...... they are digging it up again re laying paving slabs that no doubt lift up again again waste of resourses.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:39   #133
mez
God Member

i stll think the clock looked better in the arndale where it was .................why can't they have the cafe round it............or add a bit extra on the entrance(broadway end) & stick the cafe there.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:39   #134
Resident Waffler

The reason Broadway is being re-paved is due to the temporary location of the market there when the market/bus station area was being revamped. I wouldn't criticise HBC for trying to put it back together again. Nor would I criticise them for trying to improve any area of town. I know we do criticise them a lot but lets give a bit of credit where it's due. It will be nice to have something better than is there at present. (around the lodge I mean)

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 09-09-2005 at 10:40.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:43   #135
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
...why can't they have the cafe round it........
Why can't they shut the cafe?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..