Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 10:45   #106
I am Banned

Re: What do I have to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
If some dobbin in planning had any foresight,it could have been incorporated into the outdoor market as well, which again is locked at night.

It still might, has the height been checked? I SUSPECT NOT.
They have the Jubilee clock outside the jewellers near the bus station which is visable enough & was another anticipated replacement of the original bus station clock.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-09-2005, 10:52   #107
Give, give, give member

It was a great piece of design, and people of all ages loved it. A much more acceptable piece of public art than subsequent proposals.

It's our's, it's rotting away unseen and I'm sorry Kipax if I was in charge yes I would find a solution.

It's nearly as scandalous as the statues from the top of the Market Hall removed for cleaning, and vanished for six years. I was keeping my eyes open to see if they appeared in anyones garden. After a public out cry, thankfully they were put back in their rightful place.

Last edited by garinda; 08-09-2005 at 12:33.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:58   #108
Resident Waffler

Yes it IS scandalous that it's rotting away in a cellar. It's such a waste after all that was spent on it to purchase it.

The "band" inside are supposed to be playing "Rock Around the Clock" which was probably lost on some younger folk.

The open market isn't such a good idea although it is locked at night it's also locked on non market days - but worse than that it is open to the elements and this is one clock which needs to be under cover and protected from the weather.

By gum this is a thread wander and a half isn't it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:01   #109
Senior Member+

Has anyone got a picture of this clock? Its just ive never seen the clock but would like to because all this discussing may mean i might never get to see it either.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:04   #110
I am Banned

Yeh Garinda & the clock was part of the Arndale when it was opened - no doubt Ken Dodd tickled it with his tickling stick & should still be part of it now albeit a little spruced up & probably the cheaper option.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:07   #111
Resident Waffler

There are pics of it in the original thread. I'll have a look for the ones I took.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:20   #112
Resident Waffler

Just found those two pics on the old thread where I was comparing the photo in the Observer to one that I'd taken of the clock - same photo and no credit from Observer to say where they'd got the pic (ie lifted from AccyWeb!)
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3257&page=10&pp=15

Something else however, which I find more disconcerting is that in the letter from the old Arndale manager to KIPAX he states that the Arndale Centre owns the clock. Hence my concern for the clock's very existence now that the centre has changed hands.

Also, it isn't down to Hyndborg BC to resurrect it if the thing is owned by someone else.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:29   #113
Give, give, give member

If it isn't owned by the Borough, but the company that owns the Arndale, that's fair enough. It wasn't made clear from Kipax's comments.

Why on earth was the siting of it in other places looked at then in the first place, away from it's original site, if it's privately owned?

It doesn't make sense.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:33   #114
God Member

keep looking in the thread.....its up to HBC to find somewhere for it ..its theres now... unless i get my crayons out garinda then i cant make it much more clear
Old 08-09-2005, 11:33   #115
I am Banned

It seems they have more money than sence!!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:34   #116
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
It seems they have more money than sence!!
who? lost me....
Old 08-09-2005, 11:36   #117
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
who? lost me....
Whoever now owns the clock & whoever now owns the arndale
Old 08-09-2005, 11:40   #118
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
keep looking in the thread.....its up to HBC to find somewhere for it ..its theres now... unless i get my crayons out garinda then i cant make it much more clear

Why is it up to HBC if it is in fact privately owned by the company who owns the Arndale?

If it is, then they should act and show some initative and gummtion and utilise it, rather than saying
'Oh dear, it's so compicated, my brains hurting.'

Anyone any spare HRT for Mr Kipax, I think he's having a hot flush, must be his age, bless.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:32   #119
Senior Member+

That is a very nice clock and i can now see why you all want it back!!
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:41   #120
God Member

unfortunatly not everyone agrees on its buety... i dont so much.. but i do know it was an accrington thing that people related to and kids watched in wonderment as the petals opened and the show was on..

but what i least like about the whole thing is that it was taken down without any consultation with the people of accrington.. thats doesnt seem right at all to me...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..