Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 08:54   #16
God Member

Re: Why we should sterilise teenage girls ... temporarily at least

Teenage pregnancy rates have soared since sex education became such a big thing, so as far as I'm concerned it has had a detrimental effect on todays society
Old 11-08-2008, 09:05   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
This article certainly gave me food for thought. one sentace inparticular made me think . "yes this really does happen" How many girls actually get pregnant for the wrong reasons?

Indeed, for many, it seems, a child has actually become a kind of perverse badge of honour.

some women do it to try and trap the men too, 4 or 5 different kids with 4 or 5 different dads, you'd think they'd learn after the first few wouldnt you?

Last edited by flashy; 11-08-2008 at 09:07. Reason: cos i can
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:08   #18
Resting in Peace

Our science teacher had to teach us about sex in the 2 year of secondary school.
he said "there would be a lot of theory but NO practical work and NO homework".

Last edited by Mick; 11-08-2008 at 09:11.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 13:17   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Why we should sterilise teenage girls ... temporarily at least

The blame for teenage pregnancies must also lie, in part, with the media and in particular those girlie magazines aimed at teenagers. Don’t forget their parents, grandparents and great grand parents who relaxed their moral values after the last war. Most homes didn’t have man in the house (killed in the war) and poor old mum trying to keep the family solvent just couldn’t cope. With each successive generation those values were eroded away.

However society and the government must also share some of the blame. Latch key kids were left to their own devices as both parents went out to work and they didn’t have the time to educate and control their kids. Both parents went out to work because one wage just wasn’t enough to cater for their needs and wants. Blame the bosses for not paying adequate wages.

Commerce must also take some of the blame with their incessant advertising of new this and new that and must have this and must have that. Adverts for make-up, hair care and clothes aimed at women and teenage girls send out the “be sexy, be desirable, be attractive” message.

Finally to all those people whingeing about people getting benefits. Would they rather have the child taken away from a single mum and placed in an orphanage?

That would cost an awful lot more than a single mum would get on benefits.
Old 11-08-2008, 13:26   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
some women do it to try and trap the men too, 4 or 5 different kids with 4 or 5 different dads, you'd think they'd learn after the first few wouldnt you?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 14:08   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Is this real!!! not April fools day is it?... sterilise teenage girls..or any aged women ..what planet are we on?..unwanted babies? who are you to say babies are unwanted?... this ain't the 19 century.. Ok if you seem so keen on it lets try it out on your own daughter or grand child.. Nazism.
The article is not suggesting actual sterilisation just long term contraceptives that last for a few years such as the contraceptive injection rather than the pill which has to be taken every day.....I would need to know more about this injection though before encouraging my daughter to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Okay so 15 years old might be too late but there is no need for it before secondary school!
Jay that is unbelievable that they would even consider giving sex education to 5 year olds!
What the hell is the point?
I'm pretty sure i had no idea what sex was at that age and wouldn't of wanted to know either!
What happened to innocence of youth?
Sex education for 5 year olds does sound shocking but the reality is not as shocking as it sounded in that article a few weeks ago. They weren't suggesting talking explicitly about sex to 5 year olds, just talking about body parts and their names, babies growing in mummy's tummy....it would all be age appropriate.
Old 11-08-2008, 14:38   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
What are these wrong reasons? By who’s standard?

So you would condemn a totally blameless and innocent child to a life of poverty?
loz seems to have answered that in the following post n i'm sure you knew damn well what i was refering too, you just like to be the headmaster, well carry on. my daughter knows many of these young girls that have "got" pregnant to get a house n go on benefits, most were school chums of hers, if you think this should carry on so be it, I DON'T. and mancie if you read the posts properly instead of through a bottle, my first one said i was against sterilization.
Old 11-08-2008, 15:10   #23

A possibly good concept there ruined by the idiocy of the person reporting it. Ridiculous bias and references to completely disproved theories did more damage than good. In reality the vast majority of the population would say that it would not be appropriate for 12-17 year olds to be having children and this would stop that. The only problem I can see would be an increase in STDs as the number of people using other forms of contraceptive would fall due to no fear of pregnancy.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 15:16   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

reason i don't think its a good concept Sam- i have no faith in the testing of these medicines/drugs etc, there aint enough "Long Term research" done into the effects of em, Thalidomide showed that to dire effects.
Old 11-08-2008, 16:16   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
The article is not suggesting actual sterilisation just long term contraceptives that last for a few years such as the contraceptive injection rather than the pill which has to be taken every day.....I would need to know more about this injection though before encouraging my daughter to have it.

Sex education for 5 year olds does sound shocking but the reality is not as shocking as it sounded in that article a few weeks ago. They weren't suggesting talking explicitly about sex to 5 year olds, just talking about body parts and their names, babies growing in mummy's tummy....it would all be age appropriate.
Ya Lilly but do kids as young as 5 need to know these things, I peronally don't think so. Did you know about these things when you were 5, I'm sure I did't. let children be children and lts stop paying lip service to these people who have to justify their existance and the huge saleries that go with them
Old 11-08-2008, 16:24   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya Lilly but do kids as young as 5 need to know these things, I peronally don't think so. Did you know about these things when you were 5, I'm sure I did't. let children be children and lts stop paying lip service to these people who have to justify their existance and the huge saleries that go with them
I didn't know the proper names for male / female parts when I was 5 but I wouldn't mind my kids being told. I don't suppose I knew about babies growing in mummy's tummy when I was 5 either as I am an only child so if I wasn't told at school I wouldn't have been told at home at that age.

Again, I wouldn't mind my kids being told about this as long as they went no further, it was age appropriate and not too explicit.
Old 11-08-2008, 16:31   #27
God Member

My son started asking questions as a toddler.

I don't believe in lying to children so I did not avoid the subject with lies about storks and gooseberry bushes. I didn't elaborate but answered each question truthfully when asked.

As he grew older the questions got more complex, so by the time he was in his early teens he needed no 'sit down chat' to advise him of the 'facts of life'.

We had established an ability to discuss the subject without embarrassment, so much so that he related to me the circumstances in which he lost his virginity, and went on to ask about how best to give a woman pleasure.

It is never too soon - they will ask when they are ready to know if you show that the question doesn't embarass.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 16:35   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My son started asking questions as a toddler.

I don't believe in lying to children so I did not avoid the subject with lies about storks and gooseberry bushes. I didn't elaborate but answered each question truthfully when asked.

As he grew older the questions got more complex, so by the time he was in his early teens he needed no 'sit down chat' to advise him of the 'facts of life'.

We had established an ability to discuss the subject without embarrassment, so much so that he related to me the circumstances in which he lost his virginity, and went on to ask about how best to give a woman pleasure.

It is never too soon - they will ask when they are ready to know if you show that the question doesn't embarass.
That's great, Margaret!

You are one cool mum.
Old 11-08-2008, 17:00   #29
God Member

Is this real!!! not April fools day is it?... sterilise teenage girls..or any aged women ..what planet are we on?..unwanted babies? who are you to say babies are unwanted?... this ain't the 19 century.. Ok if you seem so keen on it lets try it out on your own daughter or grand child.. Nazism.

Mancie give your head a shake and sober up!!! try and read the post before dishing out bad karma. Firstly I know exactly what planet im on unlike yourself. I have seen many cases of unwanted babies through my life and also babies being born into families for the wrong reasons who have either ended up dead ar beaten by thier father. ! Also one sentance if you could be bothered to read explains it all .
[COLOR="Red"]Teenage girls, she said, could be steered towards what is described as "long-term contraception".[/COLOR]

This is now possible thanks to the development of contraceptive jabs and implants which can last up to five years.
Imo If this can be proven to be harmless and not cause lasting harm then it is no different to the contraception we already have. inc the implant which I believe is good for quite some time.

How many "unwanted" babies have WE got?..I don't have any unwanted babies.. so if it's you and Cashy then keep it to yourselves

Last time I looked this was a public discussion forum

... where are these what you call "unwanted" babies?..I do have my suspicions they are unwanted by yourself.. for whatever reasons.. but may not be unwanted by the parents.

Read above. Now whose being judgemenal
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 23:45   #30
Resting in Peace

Like Lilly says, 5-year olds are only taught Human Anatomy, and the correct words.

My daughter, being a nurse, alway did this with my Grandaughter, and by this age she knew the correct words for all parts of the body, including the genital areas plus sperm/ovaries, etc .. nowt wrong with this.

I do think that it is important to move into sex education (from a social point of view as well as biological) from the age of 11, for both female/males as this is when menstruation/puberty can begin, and could be scary if you don't know why this bleeding process, wet dreams are happening to your body.

I do agree, however, that it has become more sociably acceptable to have children out of wedlock and part of the problem, but do not agree that any woman has a child just to draw benefits.. that is an unacceptable opinion to me.

As to 5-year birth control, bit extreme as may wish to get married and have children in your late teens. Would it be reversible ?

Thought that Samf's point re. STD's was solid, however, good contraception has been around for a long time, and still men refuse to wear condoms if they know a gal is on the pill. Difficult to argue in the heat of the moment, so that is where male responsibility comes in.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..