Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2008, 22:06   #91
God Member

Re: Why we should sterilise teenage girls ... temporarily at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Whatever happened to the male pill, haven't heard 'owt about that one for ages ??
It probably died a death.....I wouldn't trust a fella to take a pill every day, would you?

I have to remind mine every Tuesday to put the bins out.....I can't be fagged to mither him every day to take a pill.

Also, for those who haven't been together since the Crimean war like we have you can't beat a condom, you can see that a condom is being used, you don't have to take their word for it.....not to mention protection from STDs aswell.
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2008, 00:30   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
It probably died a death.....I wouldn't trust a fella to take a pill every day, would you?

I have to remind mine every Tuesday to put the bins out.....I can't be fagged to mither him every day to take a pill.

Also, for those who haven't been together since the Crimean war like we have you can't beat a condom, you can see that a condom is being used, you don't have to take their word for it.....not to mention protection from STDs aswell.

Karma sent ... good post
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 00:49   #93
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

sorry lilly its like washing yer feet wi yer socks on.
Old 17-08-2008, 19:07   #94
Loz

Nice one Cashy!
You sound like my fella!
One of a few reasons i have the implant!
Old 18-08-2008, 10:44   #95
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

The best thing for a fella is Two house bricks>>.........

Or the snip.........................

I dont need to use anything,
Old 18-08-2008, 14:43   #96
God Member

I have tried and tested so many variations of the pill now due to family medical history and I still haven't found one I am happy with, it's a bit of a nightmare and i'll get the same side effects with the implant or injection according to the doctors and nurses I see, so there is no point even trying them, so basically I am on and off the pill all the time.

I don't see the difficulty in using condoms at all, even those with allergies to latex have options open to them, so there really is no excuse.

I can't say I've not had unprotected sex, I had a boyfriend for 3 yrs and I trusted him enough not to cheat on me and pass on diseases and infections. However, there are times when I have doubted the pill and had to still take a pregnancy test anyway just to be sure. Does that make me a bad person?

I have a male friend who has been so reckless in regards to sex that he has had chlamydia and ghonnerhea several times and has herpes downstairs that flares up if he gets worn down or stressed. Pretty nasty stuff. I'm sure nobody wants scabby parts!

I don't understand the point about me having double standards from a bit further up, I simply think girls should be able to make their own minds up if they are 16 or over. I don't know what would be right under that age, it doesnt seem to be an option to sterilise all those say between 12 and 16... so I guess the problem isn't necessarily going to be solved anyway.

I'm sure people have daughters within the range of 12 - 16 years old on the forum, and I imagine most would like to think their daughters weren't having sex, and as sterilising them would certainly be at request or consent of the parent I dont think many will let it happen... though I may be wrong! I'd like to think my mum wouldn't have chosen to sterilise me!

Basically, I guess I just want to say that yes, there is a problem with teen pregnancy but sterilisation is not a solution to that problem.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 14:54   #97
Loz

Good post Blazey, but if sterilisation isn't the answer and all other methods don't seem to be working what options are there left to try?
I still believe that it could work and be a good option,maybe it should be tried on a trial basis and see how it goes.
We will never know unless we give it a go.
Old 18-08-2008, 15:05   #98
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Good post Blazey, but if sterilisation isn't the answer and all other methods don't seem to be working what options are there left to try?
I still believe that it could work and be a good option,maybe it should be tried on a trial basis and see how it goes.
We will never know unless we give it a go.
If anyone honestly thought it was going to be a good solution it would have been the first method used in the first place. I don't think we shoul try it as a last resort.

If I thought it was a problem in every single case I woul suggest it, but as many young girls make excellent mums I would never suggest it. The problem is probably in education. How many girls realise what a real responsibility it is being a parent, particularly a single parent? Probably not many.

I've never been taught at school what it would be like to have a baby young, and I don't think that is the reason for other girls getting pregnant. The biggest reason in my opinion is that schools aren't focusing enough on the individual goals and aspirations of their students. If a student starts GCSE with no idea of what they can do afterwards or of what qualifications they need, they don't do as well as they could a lot of the time. Teachers aren't sparking passion in their students and that is the problem, at least in my own experiences. I didn't even find out about my opportunities to go to uni til I got to the end of my first year at college. I think that is a failure on my high schools part right there. Perhaps if I had been guided better I might have understood the value of A levels to me as an individual.

If people have no idea of what they can do in the future and what affect getting pregnant early could have on all that, then what reason do they have to be more careful?
Old 18-08-2008, 15:12   #99
Loz

Good points but if some young girls think its a easy way to get benefits etc.. then what incentive have they got to get work etc...
The goverment needs to take some blame and stop making it so easy to have that sort of life.
Agree about better education though,i was the same,wasn't really made aware of my options and went into work at 16 and regret it in some ways,it must be even worse if you are 16 with a child thinking you have the life of riley when in reality it must be a nightmare at times.
Old 18-08-2008, 15:37   #100
God Member

Quote:
Good points but if some young girls think its a easy way to get benefits etc.. then what incentive have they got to get work etc...
The goverment needs to take some blame and stop making it so easy to have that sort of life.
Agree about better education though,i was the same,wasn't really made aware of my options and went into work at 16 and regret it in some ways,it must be even worse if you are 16 with a child thinking you have the life of riley when in reality it must be a nightmare at times.
At 16 I didn't even think about the possibility of living on benefits and at that time I knew exactly what it was like to bring up a family on them, so I think that if people really knew what it was like they'd think twice.

I don't actually know any young mums on benefits, and I know at least 10 girls from my year with babies now. It seems that college is more accessible to young mums than ever before so they go to college instead.
Old 18-08-2008, 15:43   #101
Loz

Like i've said before i know quite a lot of young mums on benefits and all they do is come into the garage where i work and buy booze and fags.
Agree college is more accesible nowadays but so is living off the state and not having to work.
The sooner the goverment addresses this the better imo.
Old 18-08-2008, 15:46   #102
God Member

Quote:
Like i've said before i know quite a lot of young mums on benefits and all they do is come into the garage where i work and buy booze and fags.
Agree college is more accesible nowadays but so is living off the state and not having to work.
The sooner the goverment addresses this the better imo.

well said Mrs
Old 18-08-2008, 16:13   #103
God Member

I think you have missed a vital point.

Sterilising girls only acknowledges the problem, and that is that young girls are having unprotected sex.

It doesn't actually SOLVE the problem though and it certainly wont help in regards to STD's and STI's.
Old 18-08-2008, 17:16   #104
Loz

I'm well aware it doesn't solve the problem but in the short term whilst something is thought of to solve it then maybe it isn't a bad idea.
Old 18-08-2008, 17:48   #105
God Member

Quote:
I'm well aware it doesn't solve the problem but in the short term whilst something is thought of to solve it then maybe it isn't a bad idea.
Well I think we should agree to disagree on this point.

I wouldn't like to be the one suggesting to the families of respectable young women that they sterilise their daughters and you can't pick and choose who is sterilised and who isn't without being criticised for stereotyping and discriminating against people.

As I can't think of a fair and reasonable way for it to actually happen, I am forced to say that it isn't a good idea at all and I wouldn't ever support it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..